“LUXURY HOTEL IN A GREAT LOCATION”

Renaissance Asheville Hotel
Ranked #27 of 65 Hotels in Asheville
South Florida, Florida
“LUXURY HOTEL IN A GREAT LOCATION”
Reviewed October 19, 2011

Sit down; this is going to be a long review! (If you don't want to read all of it, the bottom line is - STAY HERE - GREAT HOTEL.)

WOW! This is an incredible hotel! I usually stay down the street at the Residence Inn; however, I managed (somehow) to get a great rate on this hotel so decided to give it a try.

This is unsurpassed luxury that I and not used to. I am happy with clean sheets and towels, and a decent breakfast. Too bad I can only give it a 5; it’s worth a 10! I was laughing at myself, because I was so out of my league!

You walk in the beautiful lobby (this is a huge hotel; a fancy hotel), and are immediately greeted by a very friendly front desk guy. He was SO nice! Such a pleasure! (I found all the staff to be extremely welcoming.) When I got to my room, I couldn’t believe how beautiful it was. The beds are big and over-stuffed with crisp white sheets. They are soooo comfy! The bathroom is decorated very nicely (not standard hotel décor). There were plenty of big, clean, thick towels. And, the best, the bathroom was stocked with Aveda products! My hair didn’t need washing, but I couldn’t resist using these high-end products. There’s a big closet as soon as you walk in with the standard iron, ironing board, etc. There was also a plush robe in there and plenty of hangars.

Rooms have free wi-fi and there’s an internet plug-in cord too if you need that. There’s a long work desk and a hi-def TV that is spectacular. There’s also some kind of plug-in strip – I guess people with a lot of electronics would know what it was for. The room isn’t huge, but big enough to be comfortable. My room has a mini-frig, coffee pot, etc. The view of Asheville out my window as the sun was setting was amazing!

I didn’t expect that there would be a complimentary breakfast here; but, when I checked-in the guy told me the room came with breakfast. The breakfast was wonderful! It was on the top floor in a room overlooking the mountains. Beautiful. There were a lot of selections (including hot selections) and something I really like – real dishes in lieu of plastic or Styrofoam (nice for the environment). The guy(s) running the breakfast room were so nice and were quick to clean up and replace things (remember to leave them a tip!). It was such a pleasant surprise to have the breakfast included.

There is plenty of free parking; the parking lot is right in front of the hotel.

LOCATION: There is no way you can beat this location. You can walk to the entire downtown area and still not have walked more than a mile. One street over is the main street with all the cute shops and fantastic restaurants. You really don’t need your car if you are here for the downtown area; everything is within walking distance. The Interstate is about 2 seconds away. It is right next door to the Thomas Wolfe Historic House.

If it sounds like I like this hotel, that would be correct. I usually opt for cheap and clean; so, for me to stay here is really a nice treat. Unfortunately, I was only here for 3 days.

This is a high-rise hotel with 12 floors. Usually, I don’t like a high-rise; 3 or 4 floors suits me better – but, you don’t hear me complaining – I love everything about it here and could definitely get used to it.

Room Tip: All rooms have a great view. But, if you can get one facing west, you will have amazing N.C. sunset...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank tczig

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (319)
Fancy Gap, Virginia
Reviewed October 15, 2011

My family spent one night in Asheville for a college visit. We wanted to stay downtown so that we would be close to shops and restaurants since we would only be in Asheville for a short time. After looking at available hotels we chose the Renaissance. We were able to get the last room they had available. Check-in was easy and the front desk staff was pleasant and helpful. They had maps available for your use to help you get around Asheville. We were on the 11th floor with a nice view of downtown Asheville. The room was nice, modern and comfortable. Our stay included access 12th floor lounge. The breakfast served on the 12th floor was great, the view was lovely, and the hotel staff in the lounge was helpful. The Renaissance is very conveniently located to downtown. We could easily walk anywhere and felt safe walking around after dark. We love Asheville and will definitely return to the Renaissance again!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Southport, North Carolina
Reviewed October 14, 2011

We just had one night at this location. Service level from Concierge, Front Desk and waitstaff was excellent.. Rooms were comfortable and well equipped.

virginia
Reviewed September 30, 2011

My wife and I visited Asheville on several occasions,wanting this trip to be special,pictures and ads for Renaissance were impressive, Standard room was $144 plus tax (senior) Club level deluxe with Concierge lounge was $194 plus tax, Opted for top floor room and was very disappointed, room was small,barely space to walk around bed with one chair,small bath. Went to desk to check if this was the room I reserved, told all rooms were same size. City view overlooked large parking lot, Don't waste money on concierge lounge ,Bk is bagel etc,evening is crackers, good location bout all. better values available.

Room Tip: go elsewhere
1 Thank joped
Fort Myers, Florida
Reviewed September 29, 2011

Stayed here for five nights in Sept 2011 and had no major issues. Room was updated but fairly small and space was tight, even for two fit people like ourselves. The desk has every imaginable outlet and there is a lot of storage space in the closet and dresser. Room had a fridge - had to pull the whole unit out of the cabinet to adjust the temperature via the knob on the back of the fridge. The indoor pool is pretty big and the fitness center had a decent selection of equipment (by hotel standards.) Staff was friendly although the clerk who checked us in failed to add our rewards number to our bill and we had to call after our check-out.

Our bathroom door was a bit dusty and had some hairs on it - looks like housekeeping doesn't wipe it down between guests. And even though I tipped each day we got maid service, they didn't quite get that they should replace the items we were using. I was only drinking decaf tea but they replaced it with caffeinated tea. And they didn't replace the lotion one day, even though it was obvious it was gone They didn't appear to vacuum either. I left a note the first day (with the tip) to please only replace the washcloth in the tub - the towels hung up were fine and we would re-use. However, she replaced all the towels every time. In an eco-friendly town like Asheville, you would think saving water/energy would be fairly standard practice.

As other reviewers have noted, the doors do slam so you will hear your neighbors come in and out unless they are careful to shut the doors quietly. Seems like the hotel could adjust the tension on the doors or install something on the door bottoms to slow them down. This hotel, like the Sheraton and Indigo, is on the edge of town and you will have to walk a block or two to get to restaurants. If you want to be right in the middle of things, you may want to consider the Haywood.

Room Tip: Some corner rooms share a common door (outside the two hotel room doors) that can be shut if hallway...
alabama
Reviewed September 28, 2011

We checked in a little early as we had requested and our room was ready and waiting for us. The bed was awesome and eventhough they had not put the extra feather pillows in the room yet they offered to bring them if we needed them. The granite and fixtures in the bathroom were nice.

If you stay here and are not familiar with the area by all means take the advice of the front desk staff as to good restaurants, etc. We wandered around town then came back for their suggestion and it was perfect.

Room Tip: We enjoyed a room on 10th floor because we wanted to see the mountains in the distance.
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed September 28, 2011

We have stayed here on several visits to Asheville. The hotel is a great property and we like the free parking. It is is a great location, though it is a bit of a walk to get to our favorite restaurants that are downtown. But, the lcoation is a good base for downtown, Grove Park Inn and the Biltmore.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends