“Very good fresh, local, organic, and all food made in-house”
Review of Lucky Otter

Lucky Otter
Ranked #323 of 811 Restaurants in Asheville
Cuisines: Mexican, Bar
Reviewed January 13, 2013

The Lucky Otter is a nice low-key ‘dive’ that serves very good fresh, local, plentiful, and quality food. All food is made in-house. Order from a wide selection of offerings at the counter and the staff brings the food to your table. Nice selection of Local beers. They serve a diverse variety of customers. Reminded me of the great food I often find on ‘Shakedown Street ‘at summer shows and festivals. While probably not for everyone, I highly recommend the Lucky Otter. A very pleasant surprise we stumbled upon during our visit.

Reviewed October 22, 2012

My husband, 20 year old son and I are ready to go back to the Lucky Otter! After driving four hours to Asheville, we made a beeline for this lovely restaurant in West Asheville. This side of the French Broad River, in Asheville, has people flocking to this funky neighborhood, either to visit or buy an older home within walking distance of the many new businesses and restaurants that have opened. Lucky Otter is one of the reasons as it is located on Haywood Road -- the “Main Street” of West Asheville.
This is a restaurant where you place your order at the cashier’s cash register. They give you a unique item for your table so the employees can find you to give you your order. In our case, we were given a toy that three year old would play with. It would be a good idea to look at the restaurant’s menu online to familiarize yourself with all of the delicious options.
My husband ordered their Philly burrito (think of Philly Steak sandwich). The meat was very tender and the burrito was large enough for my hungry husband. Our son who is on a special diet ordered “nachos in a bowl”. Lucky Otter had no problem fulfilling his special order of just toppings (no nachos). I was satisfied with a couple orders of nachos. One had a cheese topping, and the other came with homemade guacamole. The nachos were so good that my son made an exception to his diet that evening and had some of them.
Maybe the best part of our dinner were the very good margaritas. They were only $4 per glass of the adult beverage. You read that price correctly! Our drinks were very satisfying, especially when the margaritas are about half the price at most restaurants.
Lucky Otter is dog-friendly. One can bring their dog to Lucky Otter and have your best friend by your side as you eat your meal outside. Our Aussie thought it was a great outing and wants to make a return trip, too.
If you want delicious food at a very affordable price, head to Luck Otter. It is worth the ten minute drive from downtown…and it easy to get to from I-240. We will definitely be at the Lucky Otter the next time we are in town.

Reviewed September 29, 2012 via mobile

Our Favorite restaurant in Asheville. Great food great people. Every time we visit Asheville we have to eat at Lucky Otter no questions asked.

Reviewed September 22, 2012

I had a great time just looking at the menu here. What a difficult decision! I chose the white trash bbq wrap and it was awesome! The portions are huge! So much delicious food for a great price. There is some nice outdoor seating, and the counter service is friendly. Definitely try this place, I know I will be going again.

Reviewed September 3, 2012

The best Magaritas and the food will make you wanting to go back often. The atmosphere was fun and they hand you a little funky children's toy as your table number. They have wraps all curiously named. I had the "Dont be a jerk" wrap and it was amazing. They wraps could feed 2 people each. They chips were accompanied with salsa that was fresh and soooo tasty. You can sit outside on their porch and pets are welcome, typical fun, eclectic Asheville scene. LOVED IT!