“TA Reviews totally accurate, location location location”

Asheville Hostel & Guest House
Seattle, Washington
“TA Reviews totally accurate, location location location”
Reviewed August 3, 2012

Chose to stay here 1 night in family room for Bele Chere weekend, against my husband's objections, and even he had to admit it was perfect for a quick visit. Definitely wallet friendly.

We backpacked the world in our 20s and have stayed in every kind of hostel over the years so have lots to compare to. Since we had kids, not so much. What can I say, I'm middle aged and my kids are spoiled. Kids were comfy here, even though it was their first time sharing a public bathroom. My pickiest one said he'd definitely stay again.

Location is ideal in every way. A patch of quiet even during the craziness of Bele Chere. Eye of the storm. 2 blocks to everything downtown in any direction. Superb resto's and entertainment. As others have said, BJ is helpful and reliable and reachable. Good host!

As far as hostels go this place is cozy and clean and private. Expect basic and you'll be pleased. The linens smell great and are certainly clean. There are only a couple rooms on each floor so sharing of bathroom is no issue, even if you're shy. We heard the other guests on our floor once but never saw them. Some young guys hanging out in the kitchen in the early evening (smoking I think?) but it was a Sat night on a festival weekend, so no surprise there.

This is no B&B so do not expect Martha Stewart type touches. It's like a really really decent student apartment (i.e. comfy sofas everywhere but all are covered in blankets, did not look underneath!). We arrived during heat wave and fans/window AC were going 24/7. Loud but effective.

Room Tip: Family room (upstairs, away from common areas but next to shared bathroom) was quiet and cozy for ou...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank KaWaMiDa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
New York City, New York
Reviewed August 2, 2012

I stayed here recently and enjoyed it. The house was not fancy but was nice. The location was good - just a few blocks from the center of town. The owner and staff were super helpful and friendly. It was also very quite, which I appreciated. There are only AC units in the rooms (no central air) but I still stayed nice and cool. I would definitely recommend this place to anyone looking for an affordable place to stay in a private room.

Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank brynda120
Baltimore, Maryland, United States
Reviewed July 16, 2012

I stayed here for a Wednesday night, and basically had the whole place to myself. The owner gave me his cell phone number; was responsive and available, cordial and very hospitable. Checking in and out was super easy. The location can't be beat. And on top of it all, he did my laundry for 5 bucks!

I would definitely recommend a stay here.

Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Meghann S
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed July 16, 2012

My fiancée and I have just returned from a 10-day vacation, the better part of which was spent at the Asheville Hostel & Guest House. BJ, the proprietor was extremely accommodating and more than helpful. There's so much to see in this city; all you really need is a quiet place to sleep. We rented out the Guest House for an amazing deal (the rate drops after X number of days). The linens were clean, the amenities were close, the staff was friendly (and helpful!), and the list goes on. This is most certainly a hostel, so if you're expecting a hotel, continue your search elsewhere. But, if this is your thing, or if you're strapped for cash, or even if you're looking for something new, I would recommend this place in a heart-beat. The next time we return, we're most certainly staying here again.

Room Tip: If you stay in the Guest House: > The kitchen amenities will be next door. > If you'...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mark D
North Carolina
Reviewed July 12, 2012

Bohemian basic about says it all for this hostel. The proximity to downtown makes all the funkiness and cloistered feel of the accommodations tolerable. Perhaps I would rate this higher if I were 35 years younger, but it was clean and comfortable for what I needed - a bed, a bath and an open kitchen. Security was good, other guests were friendly (even to an old guy like me) and bed was comfortable.
Improvements would be better lighting (bath, bedroom, etc.), better ventilation throughout (box fans should not be ubiquitous on floors and windows) and parking is only a minor issue.
Price is nearly unbeatable in town AND for location, plus staying there supports a local business. At least 3 Thumbs Up.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank DRHALister
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed June 7, 2012

What a great spot! I just got back from a weekend in Asheville and the Asheville Hostel was the perfect place to stay! They have the cheapest rates in town, clean rooms, and very friendly owners. We stayed in the “Family” room and it was the perfect size for 4 people. I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Michael_L2012
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed June 3, 2012

Loved the place!
This was an excellent choice of where to stay when you want to be very close to town.
I came in late on the greyhound bus and BJ gave me a lift from Walnut street. He told me about everything that was good to see in town. There was no charge for using the internet. I really felt at home as the bathroom even has the same style claw bath as I do at home. THe community kitchen works well. I went to the Community theatre at night and walked back to the hostel easily.

Room Tip: I stayed in the friends room and it was very comfortable.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo