“Great location. Clean. Easy. Affordable.”

Asheville Hostel & Guest House
Reviewed July 16, 2012

I stayed here for a Wednesday night, and basically had the whole place to myself. The owner gave me his cell phone number; was responsive and available, cordial and very hospitable. Checking in and out was super easy. The location can't be beat. And on top of it all, he did my laundry for 5 bucks!

I would definitely recommend a stay here.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Meghann S
There are newer reviews for Asheville Hostel & Guest House

Reviewed July 16, 2012

My fiancée and I have just returned from a 10-day vacation, the better part of which was spent at the Asheville Hostel & Guest House. BJ, the proprietor was extremely accommodating and more than helpful. There's so much to see in this city; all you really need is a quiet place to sleep. We rented out the Guest House for an amazing deal (the rate drops after X number of days). The linens were clean, the amenities were close, the staff was friendly (and helpful!), and the list goes on. This is most certainly a hostel, so if you're expecting a hotel, continue your search elsewhere. But, if this is your thing, or if you're strapped for cash, or even if you're looking for something new, I would recommend this place in a heart-beat. The next time we return, we're most certainly staying here again.

Room Tip: If you stay in the Guest House: > The kitchen amenities will be next door. > If you'...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mark D
Reviewed July 12, 2012

Bohemian basic about says it all for this hostel. The proximity to downtown makes all the funkiness and cloistered feel of the accommodations tolerable. Perhaps I would rate this higher if I were 35 years younger, but it was clean and comfortable for what I needed - a bed, a bath and an open kitchen. Security was good, other guests were friendly (even to an old guy like me) and bed was comfortable.
Improvements would be better lighting (bath, bedroom, etc.), better ventilation throughout (box fans should not be ubiquitous on floors and windows) and parking is only a minor issue.
Price is nearly unbeatable in town AND for location, plus staying there supports a local business. At least 3 Thumbs Up.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank DRHALister
Reviewed June 7, 2012

What a great spot! I just got back from a weekend in Asheville and the Asheville Hostel was the perfect place to stay! They have the cheapest rates in town, clean rooms, and very friendly owners. We stayed in the “Family” room and it was the perfect size for 4 people. I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Michael_L2012
Reviewed June 3, 2012

Loved the place!
This was an excellent choice of where to stay when you want to be very close to town.
I came in late on the greyhound bus and BJ gave me a lift from Walnut street. He told me about everything that was good to see in town. There was no charge for using the internet. I really felt at home as the bathroom even has the same style claw bath as I do at home. THe community kitchen works well. I went to the Community theatre at night and walked back to the hostel easily.

Room Tip: I stayed in the friends room and it was very comfortable.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Marion L
Reviewed June 1, 2012

Great value and location. Nice and helpful folks. Fantastic City!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 30, 2012

We have stayed at Asheville Hostel and Guest House twice now, and found it to be an excellent alternative to high priced hotels in this popular destination city.
The hostel is spread across two historic bungalows, WALKING DISTANCE TO DOWNTOWN Asheville's restaurants, pubs, and parks. The rooms are large, colorful, some with closets, comfortable beds, and all of the essentials.
The bathrooms are clean and large, and there are plenty of bathrooms to accommodate guests. I think there are only private rooms here, which contributes to the quiet, easy going vibe.
We love having a kitchen available when we travel and the kitchens at the hostel are clean, with ample space for everyone's food, and a full complement of cooking utensils, plates, cups ect...
The rooms are so inexpensive that parents with kids traveling together can just get two rooms! There are also rooms with a queen bed and one or two twins so it is definitely a family friendly hostel.
The owner is a really nice guy, communication was easy, and he and his staff are very helpful but not intrusive.
We highly recommend this hostel!

Room Tip: We stayed in a total of three rooms during the two nights we were here, and all of them were very ni...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family