“are you kidding me?” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #42 of 63 Hotels in Asheville
boston
“are you kidding me?”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2007

OK, so I went into this "caveat emptor" right? Nothing could have prepared me for how badly this place is managed, or how run down and downright scary it is. No amount of renovation will ever make it good, just tear it down and start over. Note to self: NEVER go against TripAdvisor again! You do get what you pay for.

Where to even begin, well first my reservation was screwed up, they had me down for Sat/Sun, even though I had reserved Fri/Sat. by phone with a person. The confirmation number didn't make a difference b/c they had the wrong dates in there anyway. A couple checking in next to me was having similar problems.

I was lucky to get a room. The room, oh I wish I had brought my camera. Front facing almost on the street since my reservation was messed up, I had no choice. You enter the door from the outside, and have to walk past other rooms with huge picture windows, like the motel in My Name is Earl. I did not feel safe at all. The wallpaper was peeling in every corner of the room, the hinges on every door were rusted, the room smelled highly deoderized, a sickening sweet smell. The bedspread was that shiny polyester material. I was afraid to get under the covers.

I mean, I guess the room was clean, it was just so dilapildated that clean didn't help. In the end I was able to find a gorgeous B&B for the next day for just $70 more. A taxi to downtown was just $5.00. Definitely not worth stayng here just to be close to town.

• Liked — free internet access in lobby
  • Disliked — completely run down, more like a hostel than a hotel...perfect for backpackers
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled solo
5 Thank vacationerBoston

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
Clemson, SC
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2007

We've stayed in this Days Inn many times because of the location and because it's dog-friendly (we have a Golden Retriever who likes Asheville) -- it's right downtown and within walking distance of many excellent restaurants, galleries, and other attractions.

It HAS been undergoing renovation and updating now for some time, but thankfully, is now becoming quite decent and acceptable again. It certainly has some rough edges (the exterior is in desperate need of repainting), but the rooms have all been updated, the clutter in the reception area has disappeared, and the renovated pool looks quite nice as of our May visit. I always groan when my husband makes reservations here, but, the price is right, the location is outstanding, Mocha is welcome, and it really has been quite improved over the last couple of years.

The general tone is definitely upgraded, to cater to tourists and travelers. It's an older building, so if you don't except perfection, but appreciate a good location, this is an excellent budget choice for Asheville.

• Liked — Excellent location
  • Disliked — continuing remodeling
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lisa W
Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2007

This hotel is going through some remodeling, so a mess is to be expected, but I have never been to any hotel with a mess like this. There was a man sanding the ceiling of the parking garage right above the entrance to the lobby when we arrived. I'm not sure if the dust was toxic or not, but I definitely did not like walking through it and did not like the fact that the dust settled on all of the cars parked in the lot. Another man on the other side of the property was cleaning out the disgusting pool. There was no water in it, thank goodness. Inside, the lobby was set up as some type of weird fleamarket that does not make sense at all. The staff was very friendly, which is the second reason we decided to stay there. The first was, of course, the location. It is a great location for going out downtown. Our room was not very clean. All of the bed linens were wrinkled, which made us think they were not clean, even though they seemed to be after inspection. There was this strange small yellow pillow on the bed that I thought a guest had left there. I don't know why it was there. But my husband saw the same pillow on other beds in the hotel, so I guess it was normal. One of the weirdest things was that there was a hole in our ceiling up to the next floor room. The staff had stuffed a wash cloth in it. That does not seem like a solution that meets code to me! Another thing that I'm sure does not meet code is the wiring in the hotel. The hard wired parts are external on the walls in conduit, and in other parts of the room there are several extension cords. I would not stay here again. I don't think it is a safe place to stay.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — it was gross
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank GurlTexas

Travelers are raving about these Asheville hotels

Asheville, NC
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2007

I live here in beautiful Asheville NC. I have many friends and family that travel this way to visit me and the Asheville area. I travel for work and use alot of Days Inn Hotels. This property in downtown Asheville we had never used. My schedule was hectic and was unable to have dinner with a good friend, so we decided that after my day i would stop by his room for a quick visit.I approched the hotel it was about 1:30 am. I was asked to step to a little window and show my ID. I show my ID and get told that I was not allowed to go up because i was local. I asked if my friend could come down and then we go up he let me use the phone to call my friends room. My friend came down, and as we were heading up the desk clerk yells at me that I was not allowed to even be let in to the room sinc i was local/within 60 miles. Now Ihave never in my life heard of such a policy. In any hotel I have ever stayed at. So we had a short visit out in the cold wind and I left. Seeing while we stood out in the cold people walk from car to the side entrance and up using their ket to open a side gate.Now if only one of the was a guest and the other was not how would they at the desk know. But since i choose to enter the front door i was denied? Well i did contact Days Inn and got a letter telling to call the Manager at this location to handel the issue. I did and told the employee that answerd what my call was about and was told that yes it is their policy but that he would have the manager give me a call. It is now well over a month and still no call from this property. Beware of staying her my friend also said the place was not that clean either. while it is an older /motel I would still hope Days Inn would keep it up. Needless to say I will be changing my travel plans in other cities just due to the handling of this matter. I say DO NOT STAY HERE many other real good clean options in the Asheville area.

• Liked — Leaving/ Location to downtown
  • Disliked — Everything was poor, the room, the customer service POOR
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled solo
2 Thank NCsleepy
Johnson City TN
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2007

We stayed here on a friday night for a night out with our friends. I'll admit that after reading some of the reviews on here I was a little scared, expecting the worst. First thing I noticed was that the entire lobby was a large gift shop, but not trashy. The front desk staff was very friendly, I love Asheville because the people are sooo laid back. They had private free parking at the hotel, and provided reimbursement if they were busy and had to park in a public garage. The hotel was in the midst of replacing the tile on corridor floors so there was some mess. We were pleasantly surprised by the room as it was very clean. The water pressure was good in the shower and the bed was comfortable. Though we didn't take advantage of the breakfast, I did notice that they kept breakfast available until checkout time, good for the late sleepers! By far not the nicest hotel we've stayed at, but the location and the price for the location made up for it. Definitely wouldn't recommend for those expecting the best or are used to staying at high class hotels. But would recommend for families (on weeknights) and young couples looking for somewhere to stay downtown.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — The location of the ice machine, a little scary at night by myself!
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jlynn112
NC
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2006

This hotel will refuse to give you a room if you live within a certain zipcode. I've never experienced such discrimination or such rudeness in Asheville before. In retrospect I'm glad we couldn't get a room, because this nastiest hotel I've ever seen. It's an ugly, filthy blight on the city.

• Liked — Downtown location
  • Disliked — Rudest staff I've ever encounterd
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay away!
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Tenn777
Arizona
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2006

Needed a room for the weekend in high season - none were available, except this Days Inn location. Secured the room by calling the 1-800 number for the Days Inns. Assumed that Days Inn, corporately, held to some standarad for their hotels. Apparently not.

Lobby looked like an Indian flea market, with clothes, decorative items, etc laying around for sale. The hotel was old and in disrepair...stairwells rusted on the outer part of the building, some floor tiles pulled up, etc. Signs were placed around the building stating that they were remodeling, but I see in other reviews that this has been the case for a year or longer. We felt like we were in the twilight zone, having committed to pay $119 for the room in a hotel like this. Interesting, rates jump to $149. on Saturday!

The area around the hotel seemed unsafe, with people loitering around and effort by hotel management to keep the front door locked during night hours. Parking was limited and inconvenient.

The room looked as though it may have had newer carpet, but everything else about it was shady. The air conditioner was loud and rumbly. Water pressure was poor. Bugs were in the bathroom. In the bedroom, the blanket looked to be very old.

There were pipes/conduit literally going through ceilings and floors from above and below.

Interesting, the minute we arrived in the room, one of the hotel staff contacted us to see if the room was acceptable. The irony of a hotel so poorly maintained seeking comment was a little surprising.
Breakfast was average - but I saw no one on staff managing it.

With such little accountability given this hotel by Days Inn management, I feel I'd be a fool to ever stay in a Day's Inn, sight unseen, again. This did not turn out well and we would have left if we had any other options on a busy hotel weekend in Asheville.

• Stayed October 2006, traveled with family