“Great Location”

Ranked #43 of 63 Hotels in Asheville
Cape Cod, USA
“Great Location”
Reviewed May 27, 2009

The location can't be beat for the price, right in the middle of everything. The exterior and hallways of the hotel are some what rundown, but the room was clean and comfortable.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
massachusetts
Reviewed May 16, 2009

I recently stayed at the Downtown Inn for a night as my friend visited Asheville. I was in charge of booking hotel and having had stayed in a five star hotel the night before in downtown Charlotte, I was very weary of not staying at Downtown Inn. The reviews I read online prior were very scary to say the least. However, my friend convinced me to book it saying it would add to the adventure. Plus it was located centrally to the clubs we wanted to go to at night which meant we wouldn't have to drive. To my surprise, while it was far from a 5 star hotel, it was pleasant. The rooms were clean, though outdated but it served its purpose. The beds were comfy, pillows were great and bathroom was clean. The price wasn't bad and the location was truly great. We were able to walk everywhere. Plus the hotel staff were very nice. So to summarize, it was a good experience. I would stay there again.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
Australia
Reviewed April 29, 2009

My husband and I stayed here for 2 nights on a road trip between Merlefest, NC, and Jazzfest, New Orleans. The hotel is very central, within easy walking distance of many boutique beer breweries and restaurants. Our room had been recently renovated, and was clean and comfortable, and quiet. The free internet access worked well, and was very fast. The staff were friendly, and happy to advise my husband where the best beer was to be found!
We thought this hotel was very good value, and in a great location.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
NC
Reviewed April 20, 2009

Being on a budget, my then fiance and I stayed at this hotel twice. Thought it was old, run down, we loved the location and couldn't afford anything else downtown. Our last day there we say a giant dead rat in the middle of the parking lot when we left to go to lunch (we had already checked out). When we returned to get our car a few hours later, the rat was still there! We recently returned to Asheville for our one year wedding anniversary and noticed that this hotel has lost it's Days Inn status. At that point my husband told me that he had once found a used condom by the bed in a room we stayed in. We are lucky to be disease free after staying in this terrible excuse for a hotel. Stay away and save yourselves

• Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
nkpatel, Assistant Manager at Downtown Inn & Suites, responded to this review, May 6, 2009
We take great pride in the cleanliness of our rooms. There has never been and incident like the one described in this review.

Out parking lot is surrounded by Boston ivy and other plants all around, and we have never seen a rat in the parking lot.
Philadelphia
Reviewed April 9, 2009

We got a room here at the last minute on a trip to Asheville. We picked it because it's close to town and inexpensive. It was marginal, but okay. The room was clean although everything was kind of old. I noticed that the room next to us was getting new mattresses and I think we had new ones, too. The bathroom ceiling was in bad shape, but the bathroom was okay.

I could hear people coming and going from other rooms. If you are on the street side, I'm guessing it is noisy. The parking lot was tight and our new car had a scratch on the morning.

The location is very convenient and you can walk to almost anything in downtown Asheville.

There was a sign in the room that said "if you want a fitted bottom sheet, call the desk." What's with that? By morning the bottom sheets had come untucked and were kind of a mess.

So it was reasonably clean, convenient and cheap. If that's what you want you might not hate this place. Personally, I'll spend a few more bucks and stay somewhere else.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — bathroom ceiling
  • Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
nkpatel, Manager at Downtown Inn & Suites, responded to this review, April 16, 2009
We appreciate the comment by the guest. We are in the process of renovating all of our bathrooms. We believe we have the best service to offer in the midscale price range and our location is probably the most convenient location in downtown Asheville.
Marietta, Georgia
Reviewed February 1, 2009

This hotel is now called the Downtown Inn and has undergone changes. I saw none of the things listed in the bad reviews during my stay. The Wi-FI worked in our room, they were clean, the shower was nice,everything worked, the TV was a nice flat screen with a great picture, the fridge and microwave were handy too. They have an emphasis on security which I liked, and the parking lot is secure too. Best of all the folks who work there are really nice, especially Michael at the front desk, he was always helpful. The only real negative was the road noise while trying to sleep during the day, I found turning up the TV helped this. Great price, great location downtown with great clubs within walking distance, I will stay here again.

• Liked — price and location
  • Disliked — road noise from downtown traffic
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
KY
Reviewed January 9, 2009

I checked into this hotel because it was a lot cheaper than the other downtown hotels. Big mistake. Their staff is rude and the physical premises is well below the typical Day's Inn condition. They have a strict no locals policy, which they do not disclose over the phone, so if you expect to meet friends in Asheville, be aware they will evict you without warning from the hotel if someone local simply stops by to meet up with you.

Stayed January 2009