“Clean, quiet, pleasant, perfect.”

Downtown Inn & Suites
Ranked #47 of 66 Hotels in Asheville
Reviewed June 9, 2014

My stay at this hotel was more than adequate. It is undergoing some updates, which is always good. The room was super clean. Very comfortable bed. At the recommendation of one of the staff members, we stayed on an upper floor (room 320 I think) on the backside, for a more quiet stay, in a recently updated room. The location is perfect. We walked everywhere!!! The parking lot is small and if you are going to be moving your car a lot, just know that there is an overflow parking lot near by..and PAY ATTENTION to which lot it is.... (we almost got towed, whoops) The staff is really nice, they saved us from being towed :) I have read other reviews that did not have the same experience I did, and the only conclusion I could come to is that some of their expectations were simply too high.. This place is CHEAP, clean, quiet, comfortable, and in the best location to downtown Asheville you can get. I would stay here again in a heartbeat. We had a great time!

1  Thank Brimarshall
There are newer reviews for Downtown Inn & Suites

Reviewed June 1, 2014

We stayed here for Asheville Beer Week 2014 (Mon-Wed), and I don't think there was a better location in town. We were able to walk to eight locations from our room. So close to the brewery district, quiet and such a good deal. The rooms are not fancy, but they are totally clean. When you enter and see the lobby, it'll make you worried 'cause it's the most dated space in the building, but the rooms are fine. That being said, there is no iron/iron board, no closet space just a rack in the bathroom. No extra blankets or pillows and the soap/shampoo are a joke. BUT - there is free breakfast and free wifi which is awesome. We did what others suggested and got a room in the back facing the mountains and I spent "rest time" just sitting at the little table reviewing local papers etc. while enjoying the view. Again, the best part is being so close to everything.

Room Tip: Choose a mountainview room. They will not let you book a room if you live within like an hour of the...
Reviewed May 29, 2014

Let's face it - the reason you'd want to stay at the Downtown Inn & Suites is the prime location in downtown Asheville. This hotel (motel, really) barely has more frills than a hostel, so as long as you come expecting only the basics and are looking for the convenience of the location (at a significantly lower price than any other downtown hotel), you'll be just fine.

I spent three nights here with my boyfriend; we arrived early and they were kind enough to let us check in early. The real bonus to being early is that we were able to park in the hotel's lot, since there were actually spaces at that time of day. It does fill up quickly, but there is a map right on the parking permit to their overflow lot.

Rooms were clean enough; the free breakfast (sausages, cereal, biscuits, fruit) was an unexpected perk; the Internet setup made my IT-boyfriend cringe, but it worked; we were an easy 5-10 minute walk to everything we wanted to see (ghost tour, Asheville food tour, Asheville Brews Cruise) other than Biltmore (the only time we moved the car during our stay).

The only two downsides to staying here were the noise and the pillows. Since they were nice enough to check us in early, I wasn't going to push my luck by asking about a pool side room; if you can, get the pool side room. I expected traffic noise, but I didn't expect to be able to hear it while wearing earplugs with the air conditioner and television on. The pillows are bizarrely tiny - more throw pillow size, and are pretty old/squishy/uncomfortable. If you can, pack some serious earplugs and your pillow.

Considering the cost and location, it's worth just sucking it up and dealing with the few drawbacks of the Downtown Inn & Suites.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the pool side for less traffic noise.
Reviewed May 24, 2014 via mobile

My wife and I came to Asheville as a stop on our way to the coast. We wanted a place that was relatively inexpensive, a good location, clean beds and breakfast in the morning. Downtown inn is all of the above. FYI, most places in asheville don't open until 10am. We planned to eat breakfast out but dining options were slim. The hotel breakfast of sausage, biscuits, waffles, etc was the perfect snack till more options opened. If ever back in asheville we will definitely stay here again.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 15, 2014

Stayed here with my mom while visiting my aunt for 3 nights. It was a basic no frills hotel. The only problem we had was parking on Saturday night. The lot right at the hotel was full, the attendant at the desk told us where the overflow lot is, so we drove there and it was full, also there were some people hanging out on the street across from it that seemed a little sketchy. We went back to him and he sent us to another lot with $3 to put in the pay box. However, the lot he mentioned had no such lot, we went back around and he assured us they did, that it was right in the front. After going back again, and still not seeing the box, we noticed there is pay parking at the bank right across the street and parked there for $5. The attendant did give us the other $2 but it was extremely frustrating and we let another guy, who was having the same difficulties as we did, know where he could park, since he had been doing the same running around we were.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed May 9, 2014

This motel is a great value in a great location. It is definitely old and the lobby elevator is like stepping into a time machine. I admit I was worried the first time I stayed here but have several times since and wouldn't stay anywhere else. Despite the appearance it is clean and safe; never have a bad experience here and for the price you really can't ask for a better location. Walking distance to anywhere you'd want to be downtown. The biggest downside is the tiny parking area, but, it is free.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 1, 2014

The current owners have done a great job improving/maintaining this hotel. Ok so it isn't new, bright and shiny. If you are looking for new and expensive, then this isn't for you.

You cannot beat the location or the price. Only steps from downtown. VERY safe even though the building and neighborhood looks rough. Park the car for free in their secure lot and be within walking distance to everything. When we visit somewhere we are only there to sleep. Very helpful and friendly staff. Very clean throughout. We had everything we needed, fairly large clean room, comfortable king bed! Clean bathroom, tv (remote worked great), fridge, microwave and coffee maker.

Breakfast is served everyday. The usual breakfast fare. We don't eat carbs so we visited the many restaurants close by. Always fun to try something local.

Ask to have a poolside room, that way you are away from street noise. Could never connect to the internet even though there was a strong wireless signal which was no big deal just tethered to my phone. This is a fantastic safe and clean place to stay. We have found a new place to stay when visiting Asheville/Biltmore

Room Tip: Choose a poolside room. It's much quieter than street side.