“Fantastic location, decent and clean rooms.”

Downtown Inn & Suites
Ranked #46 of 68 Hotels in Asheville
Reviewed September 7, 2012

This was our first time staying here, and our first trip to Asheville. We found the downtown Inn after searching on our phones for decent priced rooms. We stayed for 4 nights, at a decent rate for such a prime location. Nothing to complain about, it's a basic hotel that offers the basics. I felt comfortable in the room, safe, and was overall pleased with the location (which offered easy access to all the local bars, restaurants, and shops). The TV worked, the room seemed clean, there was a mini fridge/microwave, AC held, free parking, Wifi worked...I mean what else could you ask for? Bath robes, door men, marble counter tops, wine hour? Well, theres certainly places like that around...go waste hundreds of dollars on a hotel room you won't even be in for more then sleep and maybe a few hours. Yes, the hotel's overall appearance might need a face lift; and theres certainly a few minor room flaws that need upgrading. But, this hotel delivered on the basics...and I left satisfied. Ps. I liked the fact that every access point to the floors with rooms required a key card. (stairways, front door, elevator) It was a thoughtful touch, for a regular hotel.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank I G

Reviewed September 6, 2012

This hotel needs upgrades for sure. But our room was clean and comfortable, we had free wifi and you cannot beat the location for downtown Asheville access. We walked the city for days and had so much fun, so much to see and do. we stayed for 4 nights and were comfortable, but we are pretty low key people too.

Room Tip: Choose the back facing the pool and mountain views
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Nicole L
Reviewed August 28, 2012

Loved our 3 day stay!! Quirly Qool hotel with a friendly and helpful staff. But the best part is the price for location!! It is a very SAFE place with free parking and breakfast. Our bed was really comfy and shower rocked us.

Room Tip: Tapas and Wine at Jambra's..Seafood at Lobster Trap...Bloody Mary Brunch at Laughing Seed..Itali...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank TuneYourPalate
Reviewed August 21, 2012

On our first night our key cards quit working, so they offered us actual old fashioned metal keys. It wasn’t until our last day that I realized that they had actually given us multiple MASTER KEYS to every room in the hotel! Instead of either offering us a new room with a working key card reader, or fixing the key card reader.

I accidently got off the elevator on the wrong floor – and walked to the what I thought was my room and walked right in – but it wasn’t my room! Luckily it was empty at the time…but then I checked another vacant room, and another, and yes I had keys for everyone’s room.

I was horrified to know that the hotel gave me a key to every other guests’ rooms – no questions asked. My first thought was that if they gave me a key so easily, how many other master keys are out there? Who else had keys to my room? My second thought was – what if there had been a burglary, robbery, or assault at the hotel that weekend – the police would ask – Who had access to this room? and now I am a potential suspect.

Then I thought that I am pretty sure that most other guests would be upset to know that I had access to them, and their room while they were sleeping, or away.

This hotel DOES NOT VALUE YOUR SAFETY! DO NOT STAY HERE.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank Jeff C
NK_Patel-Owner, Owner at Downtown Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2012

Filed by President of Rahul, Inc, DBA Downtown Inn.

This was a serious error on our part. A rare incident, we now have put a procedure in place that such instances will not occur again.

We want to point out to all our guests that we are one of the hotels in the area that implements the highest standards of guest security.

For example:
1. We do not rent rooms to anyone who does not have a valid ID.
2. We do not allow anyone to enter unless they have a valid ID.
3. All of our entrances: including stairway gates and elevator requires a guest room key to enter on the property. The main doors are locked at midnight and a guest room key and valid ID are required to enter.
4. We have night staff who make frequent security rounds to make sure that our security standards are maintained.

We have decades of records where guest security has never been a problem and no undesirable incident has taken place.

Reviewed August 20, 2012

Location, location! This older downtown facility is at the center of everything. A few years back, this hotel was suffering from neglect but during my recent stay I was happy to see a revitalization. Newly decorated rooms. Refurbished pool and an overall renewal. Offered at some of the best rates in town and I would even recommend this to my Mother.

• Stayed: June 2012
2  Thank Rob W
Reviewed August 20, 2012

No frills hotel, but room was clean and comfortable. Great downtown location; you can walk to just about anywhere of interest. Staff was friendly and helpful in providing directions. Great value, especially when they give many options for discount room rates: AARP, AAA, military/govt. ID, etc.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank John K
Reviewed August 15, 2012

This is what it is, a place to sleep and shower between activities. The room we had was clean, if outdated. What you will receive here is friendly service, free breakfast, and a free place to park your car while you are walking around downtown. Granted, the free parking is VERY tight (no Suburbans), but if you want to pay $3, you can park in a nearby lot. I suggest that you drive a small car and check in early. This is not a froo-froo-fancy-shampoo kind of hotel. You will not be wearing a fluffy robe and drinking espresso. What you will be doing is staying downtown for under a hundred bucks a night. :)

Room Tip: Ask for mountain view - the street side is very loud
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple