“Great Location Trumps Tired Appearance"”

Downtown Inn & Suites
Ranked #48 of 68 Hotels in Asheville
Reviewed August 13, 2011

If you need a pretty, modern hotel with lots of amenities, stop reading now and look at other hotels in Asheville. However, if you need a clean room with a good bed for less than $100.00 in the heart of Asheville's attractive, eclectic downtown area, read on.
The Downtown Inn is a motel in dire need of a facelift. We were greeted at the lobby entrance by two signs: one advising that there were no public restrooms and the other warning that only people with valid picture ID could enter. I found this very unappealing, and the appearance and decor of the lobby inside didn't make me feel much better. As we rode the pink tile elevator up to the fifth floor, I was having serious doubts about whether we should stay here or not. However, we found our room (exterior entrance) to be very simple, but spotlessly clean with a great mattress and pillows, cable TV and free internet (no morning newspaper, however). And, it was located on the back side of the motel - on the "mountain view" side - so there was very little street noise, making for a good, quiet night's sleep. Parking is free in a small on-site lot, with overflow parking available at a cycling shop across the street.
The hotel staff was very friendly, efficient, and helpful: we got a great recommendation to eat breakfast at "The Early Girl Eatery" on Wall St., and that was a meal not to be missed! And the hotel is less than a block from Pritchard Park, Honey Tupelo Cafe, Mayfel's, and lots of other trendy shops, pubs, and restaurants. We felt perfectly safe at the hotel's location and we came away feeling that we had found a "diamond in the rough" and would certainly return when we visit downtown Asheville again.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed August 7, 2011

Just returned from a weekend visit to Asheville. Upon pulling up at the Downtown Inn & Suites, we got a bit nervous because some people gave this place scathing reviews and the building itself is not aesthetically pleasing. The front lobby is dated, but you don't do anything in the front lobby other than walk through it, so overall that didn't bother me. Do not let this deter you.

After staying here, I cannot disagree more with the bad reviews and I have stayed at some of the finest hotels in the world. The service you will receive from the staff cannot be beat. Once we got to our room it was immaculately clean and very nicely sized. It smelled like a hotel room, not moldy, not mildewy, not musty. The bed was comfortable and I slept well- no complaints. The refrigerator/microwave/coffee maker combo were a huge plus. We were on the 5th floor, room 510 I think. Our room location was technically street side (the door faced the street), but it was the corner room. So if you were standing outside and turned your head to the left and walked about 5 feet, you had a mountain view. I think we had the best of both worlds. Every night we brought chairs outside to sit and people watch and check out the views at the same time before heading out on the town!

I booked this based on a combination of value, location and the better reviews. I'm glad I booked it. The location was absolutely perfect and compared to other hotels in downtown Asheville, the price was a steal. The continental breakfast was a sweets lovers dream. Tons of options- muffins, mini pecan pies, I could go on. There were also bagels, breads, fruits and juices and tons of spread options for the bagels and bread. It was handy to be able to grab some of the prepackaged things as we headed out to drive to Marshall for early morning rafting.

The only thing they lost a star on was the parking lot. It's a compressed mess, but I think it's because they're doing construction. We had no problems, and if there's no space on site, you get to park for free at a satellite location that is not far. I knew this going into the trip though (because of other reviews) and if you possess basic driving skills, you'll be fine. We did not park in the satellite lot. We parked on site. The pool was clean and it seemed to be heavily used while we were there. We didn't get a chance to go, though.

If I were going back to Asheville, I'd stay here again in a heartbeat. I'd also recommend this hotel to others.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank folsom71101
Reviewed August 1, 2011

customer service awesome, nice continental breakfast, no noise complaints, right in the heart of downtown. Overall I would definitely stay here again and the price is pretty reasonable, But they're doing a lot of construction... parking a little limited although they do give u free parking pass @ a building close by.

Room Tip: ask for downtown view!! mountain view not so great
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 1, 2011

The rooms were clean but the air conditioner smelled musty whenever it kicked on. Pool needed to be vacuumed and skimmed; my kids didn't want to get in it. Good location but not sure I would stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2011
Reviewed July 30, 2011

Enjoyed our stay which overlapped the street festival,Bel Chere. All of downtown was within easy walking distance. One of the preformance venues was right across the street. If location and price are important,this is it. Less than half the price of other downtown hotels.

Pet friendly was a real boost. Nothing fancy, in fact showing wear and age. But the staff was great free parking,clean,comp and continental
breakfast! I would not hesitate to return..or recommend to friends.

A couple of negatives;parking was tight(perhaps in part b/c of construction),wish thete was a patch of grass for dogs to relieve themselves.

• Stayed: July 2011
Reviewed July 25, 2011

This hotel was great for us. It is a bit in need of a face lift, but the beds were comfortable and the rooms were clean especially considering it is a pet-friendly hotel. It smelled good and was well-maintained. Thanks for a great weekend.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank GardenMonkey
Reviewed July 24, 2011

Our mountain view room on the third floor was clean and comfortable, with much appreciated air-conditioning and shower. Although the hotel was full and our room was next to vending and ice machines, the room was quiet. The staff were friendly and helpful. And the location was great--for all the shops and restaurants, street music and civic center downtown and just a short drive to the Montford outdoor Shakespeare performance. Parking in the hotel lot was crowded, and we ended up at a lot provided by the hotel about half a block away. The continental breakfast included bagels, sweet rolls, toast, cereal, juices, fruit, and not very good coffee or tea (hot chocolate was also available). The same coffee and tea were available in our room, which also had a microwave and a refrigerator. Off the breakfast area was a swimming pool, which we didn't sample, but which looked inviting. And there was free internet access in the lobby (I don't know whether internet was available in the room). For the price and the location, I'd recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Asheville for a weekend or a few days.

Room Tip: Having read that Patton Ave. could be noisy, I asked for and got a room facing the mountains.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends