“Past time for the bulldozers”

Downtown Inn & Suites
Ranked #46 of 66 Hotels in Asheville
Reviewed October 8, 2007

While the hotel's location is wonderful, the facility really is past its prime. It has had a recent face-lift (redecorating the rooms) but that did nothing for the bigger problems.

Parking is a challenge - narrow spaces - little room to maneuver - not enough parking spaces (you may have to park at the bank across the street).

Everything is just run down - the stairwells - the elevator - the bare concrete walkways. Old, noisy, through-the-window air conditioners. The TV, despite carrying the local cable system, was barely watchable due to static.

At $60 a night it might be acceptable but unfortunately they charge $120 a night. That is a rip-off. Generally I've found Days Inn facilities to be OK ... this location was an exception.

AVOID

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JS_Raleigh
There are newer reviews for Downtown Inn & Suites

Reviewed October 3, 2007

it's never a good sign when the hotel won't allow locals to stay.
also not a good sign when you are nervous while in the lobby. another
bad sign, a metal door to the stairs which is locked at all times. all in all, rather nerve-wracking.

but the location is so handy! so we stayed. room wasn't as dingy as some - but definitely not fresh. bathroom needed a serious overhaul and some new grout along with new lights/fans.

if you are hellbent on staying downtown, this is a good deal. just be
prepared to laugh it off as an adventure.

Stayed: July 2007
3  Thank mhyoung
Reviewed August 22, 2007

Good location but bad hotel. I would not stay here again. The lobby is dirty and the rooms are filthy. The light/fan in bathroom didn't work and was in fact hanging down from the ceiling. Several phone calls to the front desk resulted in no action, so I fixed the light myself. The sheets smell of bleach and the pillows are so large you can't sleep on them. There is very little water pressure and so getting the soap off is difficult. All in all a terrible experience. I will probably just do day trip to Asheville, since the other hotels in the downtown area are just too expensive.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
4  Thank TRUNCIMAN
Reviewed July 18, 2007

I picked this hotel primarily because of location. I booked there twice for two seperate trips to Asheville in one week. The place is filthy and in desperate need of remodeling and repair. What's worse is you can tell all of this before you even walk in the place. The lobby makes you feel like you're in a flea market/convienance store. They have some type of weird gift shop on that level and it's dirty and cluttered. We stayed on the fifth floor the first night and the room was absolulutely disgusting. The carpet was severely stained, there was hair all over the bathroom, it smelled bad and there were stains on the throw pillows. The lady at the front desk called up to the room asking if it was clean. I at first thought it was a courtesy call, but later felt like she probably wasn't sure. They didn't give us enough towels which we didn't notice until the morning. When I called the front desk, the guy refused to bring the towels up to the room stating he was the only one in the building at the time and he couldn't leave the desk. So, at 6am, we had to walk down to the desk for towels and did not receive any type of apology. The only positive was, of course, the location and price. It was within walking distance to the downtown restaurants and bars and the venue where the show was we were seeing.
My second trip was slightly better. This time, the room was on the 3rd floor and several of those rooms seemed as though they had been updated. The first room we were put in had a fallen ceiling tile in the bathtub where a leak had occured so we had to switch rooms. The second one was also slightly more updated and seemed cleaner. The air conditioner was old and extremely loud and woke me up each time it turned on and off.
All in all, this place is a dive. Avoid it if you can, but if you need a hotel close to downtown and don't mind staying in roach motel, go for it. DO NOT, however, pay more than $60 a night. This place is so not worth it.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with friends
5  Thank mcorgan07
Reviewed June 9, 2007

OK, so I went into this "caveat emptor" right? Nothing could have prepared me for how badly this place is managed, or how run down and downright scary it is. No amount of renovation will ever make it good, just tear it down and start over. Note to self: NEVER go against TripAdvisor again! You do get what you pay for.

Where to even begin, well first my reservation was screwed up, they had me down for Sat/Sun, even though I had reserved Fri/Sat. by phone with a person. The confirmation number didn't make a difference b/c they had the wrong dates in there anyway. A couple checking in next to me was having similar problems.

I was lucky to get a room. The room, oh I wish I had brought my camera. Front facing almost on the street since my reservation was messed up, I had no choice. You enter the door from the outside, and have to walk past other rooms with huge picture windows, like the motel in My Name is Earl. I did not feel safe at all. The wallpaper was peeling in every corner of the room, the hinges on every door were rusted, the room smelled highly deoderized, a sickening sweet smell. The bedspread was that shiny polyester material. I was afraid to get under the covers.

I mean, I guess the room was clean, it was just so dilapildated that clean didn't help. In the end I was able to find a gorgeous B&B for the next day for just $70 more. A taxi to downtown was just $5.00. Definitely not worth stayng here just to be close to town.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled solo
5  Thank vacationerBoston
Reviewed May 27, 2007

We've stayed in this Days Inn many times because of the location and because it's dog-friendly (we have a Golden Retriever who likes Asheville) -- it's right downtown and within walking distance of many excellent restaurants, galleries, and other attractions.

It HAS been undergoing renovation and updating now for some time, but thankfully, is now becoming quite decent and acceptable again. It certainly has some rough edges (the exterior is in desperate need of repainting), but the rooms have all been updated, the clutter in the reception area has disappeared, and the renovated pool looks quite nice as of our May visit. I always groan when my husband makes reservations here, but, the price is right, the location is outstanding, Mocha is welcome, and it really has been quite improved over the last couple of years.

The general tone is definitely upgraded, to cater to tourists and travelers. It's an older building, so if you don't except perfection, but appreciate a good location, this is an excellent budget choice for Asheville.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lisa W
Reviewed March 25, 2007

This hotel is going through some remodeling, so a mess is to be expected, but I have never been to any hotel with a mess like this. There was a man sanding the ceiling of the parking garage right above the entrance to the lobby when we arrived. I'm not sure if the dust was toxic or not, but I definitely did not like walking through it and did not like the fact that the dust settled on all of the cars parked in the lot. Another man on the other side of the property was cleaning out the disgusting pool. There was no water in it, thank goodness. Inside, the lobby was set up as some type of weird fleamarket that does not make sense at all. The staff was very friendly, which is the second reason we decided to stay there. The first was, of course, the location. It is a great location for going out downtown. Our room was not very clean. All of the bed linens were wrinkled, which made us think they were not clean, even though they seemed to be after inspection. There was this strange small yellow pillow on the bed that I thought a guest had left there. I don't know why it was there. But my husband saw the same pillow on other beds in the hotel, so I guess it was normal. One of the weirdest things was that there was a hole in our ceiling up to the next floor room. The staff had stuffed a wash cloth in it. That does not seem like a solution that meets code to me! Another thing that I'm sure does not meet code is the wiring in the hotel. The hard wired parts are external on the walls in conduit, and in other parts of the room there are several extension cords. I would not stay here again. I don't think it is a safe place to stay.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled as a couple