“Good for frequent traveler on a budget”

Days Inn Asheville/Mall
Ranked #46 of 63 Hotels in Asheville
Columbia, SC
“Good for frequent traveler on a budget”
Reviewed July 24, 2007

This hotel is great if you are a frequent traveler on a budget. We travel frequently for competition and sales. The room was nice, clean, hot water, children and corporate friendly. The breakfast buffet was outstanding. Close to downtown Asheville. Only one drawback if you are a non smoker, your room may be next to someone who smokes on the balcony and then the smoke will linger into your room. We would stay here again. Hotel employees were pleasant.

• Liked — Breakfast Buffet, hot water
  • Disliked — Smoking allowed on balcony
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled on business
2 Thank Salestraveler04

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Jacksonville Beach, Florida
Reviewed June 26, 2007

We have stayed at this hotel a couple of other times over the years. This time the visit was fine but it does seem as though the years go by they should do some renovating. Upon check in the people at the front desk weren't rude, but they weren't friendly either. We stayed in room 147 which is a handicapped room. It was nice and big. The bathroom was pretty much the only problem with the room. You had to flush the tiolet at least two or three times to get it to flush plus water dripped out of the handle as you were doing so. The water pressure in the shower was pretty bad too. The breakfast they serve is pretty decent. The hotel looks like it needs remodeling as it just looks worn in places. I like the fact that they allow dogs, definately a plus. We were checked out by an older gentelman who was very friendly. This isn't a bad hotel by any means, just dont' stay here if you expect a really nice hotel. But it is a good value for the money.

• Liked — breakfast, allowing dogs, location
  • Disliked — bathroom, roach in our room
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
midwest
Reviewed June 21, 2007

I was worried after reading the most recent scathing review (I had already booked the room on hotwire.com) but I had an overall good experience at the Days Inn Asheville Mall. I normally would not stay in a (hotwire rated) 2 star hotel, but since Asheville was expensive and the location was so close to downtown, it was a fair deal.

My room was a good size (king bed) and clean, and the pool area was nice. The best part about the entire stay was the breakfast buffet. It was honestly the most extensive, nicest 'free' breakfast I've ever had at any hotel with hot eggs, bacon, sausage, biscuits, gravy, hash browns, plus all the other stuff you normally see at a continental breakfast. There was also ample seating.

If you are on a budget and have the mind set that you are staying at a budget motel, I think this one is a good deal and the location (5 minutes from downtown) is great.

One caveat: if you purchase your room (or any other for that matter) from hotwire, be sure to check to see if you got the lowest deal. They over charged me by $80, but when I emailed them they refunded my credit card.

• Liked — The free breakfast and the low price
  • Disliked — I like hotels where the rooms don't have outside access, and this one wasn't like that
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank jerseymel
Texas
Reviewed March 25, 2007

I booked this hotel online on the days inn website, and I prepaid for the best rate. I picked this hotel not for the location because it wasn't that great for us, but because the pictures on the site were very nice. In the pictures, the rooms looked like they had just been re-done. When we arrived around 9 pm, we were met by a very unfriendly desk clerk. He was very grumpy and short with us, especially when I did not seem to have the correct credit card with me (even though the room was already paid in full and I had other ID and cards to confirm my identity). So he asked for another card. I gave him one and said "I won't be charged twice, will I?" He assured me I would not and acted like he was doing me a favor to even let us stay there. We went to our room and found it not to be like the pictures online at all, which really disappointed me, but my husband said it was fine so we stayed. However, one of the key cards given to us did not work, so we went back to get another. After waiting on the grumpy guy to make himself a snack from the breakfast food for the next morning, he would not give us another one because it worked in his machine. He acted like we were lying or were incompetent. The only thing that really was ok here was the hot breakfast. It was nice to have that in the morning considering everything else. Oh, and guess what? I WAS charged TWICE for one room, one night. I am now trying to get my money back and have had to deal with other very UNFRIENDLY STAFF there named Eric and Solidad for two of them. This hotel is clean, but if you prefer friendly and competent staff, go somewhere else!

• Liked — breakfast
  • Disliked — Rude staff
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
4 Thank GurlTexas
Lexington,Ky
Reviewed December 21, 2006

I guess you get what you pay for, $50.00.
I was very disappointed with the condition of the room. After reading some of the reviews, I thought this Days Inn would be nice. However, it was very run down. Wallpaper was peeling from the wall, paint from the ceiling was also peeling , and there were black marks on the wall. Also, the furniture and bedding was very out dated.
The breakfast buffet is one of the reasons I booked a room here. On the web site the buffet looks wonderful and quite expansive, however the food was okay and not that expansive.
We will definitely come back to Asheville, but will be staying somewhere else. Tthere are so many other places to stay.

Stayed December 2006
Eagan, Minnesota
Reviewed October 23, 2006

The Days Inn is one of many hotels located by the Asheville Mall. It is an older property in the typical Days Inn style. I agree with others that the street noise is very noticeable on the front of the property and unless you can tolerate the loud fan on the room heating and air conditioning, these rooms may be too noisy for some guests. The rooms are being updated with new carpet and new goose neck shower heads provide tall guest a little more room in the tight bath/shower. Rooms are clean, linen poor/old and beds are o.k.

The breakfast buffet is well stocked with both cold and hot items so there is no need to venture out to any of the local eateries. Large TV in the lobby as well as one computer with free internet access.

In Asheville, take a day to visit the Biltmore Estate and another to drive the Blue Ridge Parkway from Asheville to the TN border. The estate is very interesting (but very commercialized) and the parkway is absolutely beautiful.

Great restaurants in Asheville including Zambra (Spanish and Mediterranean wine and tapas located downtown next to the Civic Center) for great tapas/platos and La Caterina Trattoria (just on the edge of downtown-north side, and a little hard to find) for fabulous homemade pastas and cheeses.

While this is not the Hilton, it is an o.k. hotel if you are on a budget and want to stay in the city.

• Liked — Good breakfast buffet
  • Disliked — Older/outdated rooms
  • Tips/Secrets — Book a room in the back of the hotel to avoid street noise
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
1 Thank EaganTraveler
Murphy
Reviewed July 24, 2006

My husband and I stay at this Days Inn about every other month and have always been treated with respect by the staff. We have always gotten the room we need,downstairs King Bed.The free breakfast is always good and our room is up to par and our stay has always been enjoyable

• Liked — Free breakfast
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Tips/Secrets — always ask to see your room before u complete check in,that way if you are not happy with the room you can venture on to another hotel
  • Stayed February 2006, traveled on business