“Always great!”

Curate
Ranked #4 of 789 Restaurants in Asheville
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Spanish
Good for: Romantic, Bar scene, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown Asheville
Cross street: Patton Avenue
Transit: Asheville Transit provides bus service throughout the City of Asheville and other local areas with 24 bus routes running from 6 a.m.-11:30 p.m., Monday - Saturday. Routes originate at Transit Center, located 49 Coxe Avenue in downtown Asheville (next to the U.S. Post Office). On-duty information assistant provides assistance with maps & schedules.
Description: THE BEST OF SPAIN, conveniently located downtown Asheville! Curate is pleased to bring the best Spain has to offer through our traditional cuisine, unrivaled hospitality and festive, energetic atmosphere. In Spanish, Curate, means 'cure yourself.' Whether you're looking for a fun-filled evening out with friends or a quick bite before or after one of Asheville's many art or music productions, Curate is the place you go to take care of yourself, by letting us take care of you. Please join us for some fun...Just say "una cana!"
North Carolina
“Always great!”
Reviewed November 24, 2013

After traveling to Spain recently, it gave me an even better appreciation for the food at Curate! Go for brunch on Saturday or Sunday and have a bloody mary or a Grapefruit Mimosa. (Like nothing you've ever had…Yum). Everything we had was absolutely delicious! Small plates so it's fun to share! It's a rather small place, so I suggest a reservation and they are on Open Table!

Visited November 2013

Asheville, NC
“It will wow you over and over again”
Reviewed November 24, 2013

I have been to Cúrate dozens of times--no exaggeration--and every single time it is amazing. It all just works: the quality and freshness of ingredients, the expertise and brilliant innovation in the recipes, the flexibility to keep things as sustainable (and local) as possible, the attentive, knowledgeable, and friendly servers.

My recommendations (although nothing I have tried is below top notch):

-the ensalada de otoño, a salad with local greens, several varieties of beets, marcona almonds, orange segments, thin slices of sheep's milk cheese (I think), and a blood orange vinaigrette. They brought this back on the menu now that it's in season, and when I tried it again today, I realized: this is one of the best dishes I have ever eaten. Someone could dismiss it as just a beet salad, but only if that person had never had this one. The textures, flavors, temperatures - it all just works. OH - did I mention the preserved orange rind?!? It is the underlying treat of this dish.

-the setas (varied types of mushrooms sautéed with thyme). No matter what the occasion or what else we order, this is always on our table.

-the crema de calabaza: smoky, silky, luscious. It will be hard to go to any other squash/pumpkin-based soup (or any crema for that matter!) after you try this.

-the eggplant with honey and rosemary. I have seen vehement eggplant-haters change their minds about eggplant with this dish. And it's not disguised as anything else: it's just delicious eggplant with a touch of crispy, a bit of sweet, and a lot of savory.

-the pistacho sponge cake with lemon-thyme ice cream, pistachio praline blackberries and blackberry coulis. I thought the lemon-thyme scoops would be like a sorbet, but when I tried it, I realized it's rich, lemony ice cream with an herb-y thyme undertone. Perfectly chosen berries complement the fluffy yet rich pieces of sponge cake, torn into chunks for maximum praline and sauce absorption. I simply cannot imagine a better dessert, and I can imagine a lot of great desserts.

Lots of friends and out-of-towners have come here and been as wowed as I was. They really have something for everyone: gluten-free options, LOTS of veg options, leaner options, comfort food options. We try to find something to celebrate as often as possible here, because every visit feels like a celebration, whether you come for that purpose or not.

Be sure to ask to speak to Felix (the manager) or Katie (the chef) if they're around - not only are they great at what they do, but they are wonderful people.

Beckley, West Virginia, United States
“Tapas in downtown Asheville”
Reviewed November 23, 2013

Located on Biltmore Avenue.

Warm decor, informal. Reservations are not easy to get - we reserved 10 days in advance for a non-holiday weekend without any special events going on in Asheville, yet the only times available were at 1730 and 2030. They do appear to be able to accomodate walk ins at the bar.

Drinks seemed to be the standard fare with a regional Spanish twist. We tried the Manhattan and the Negroni, both well prepared.

Appetizers: Pulpo de la gallega (octopus) and Jamon iberico de bellota (shaved smoked ham)

Vegetables: Esparragos blanco (white asparagus in lemon tarragon vinaigrette) and espinacas a la catalana (spinach with apples, raisins, pine nuts)

Entrees: Almejas a la sidra (Clams in cider) and Rosejat negro (Like a paella, with chorizo in asturian cider

Dessert: Rosemary ice cream over deep fried eggplant

Service was good. We enjoyed the appetizers, vegetables, and dessert, but were a little disappointed by the entrees. The clam dish consisted of 10 tiny clams, and it was pretty hard to find any seafood or chorizo in the paella; though the noodles were tasty, $15 is a little steep for what amounts to a bowl of noodles.

In a restaurant like this, with an extensive menu of small dishes, it's clear that some dishes will be better than others. We hit 5 winners, two losers.

We would come back again.

Roanoke, Virginia
“Innovative”
Reviewed November 22, 2013

We were seated immediately upon our arrival for our 7PM Wednesday reservation in the small dining room section in the rear of the restaurant; this provided a bit of appreciated intimacy beyond what is available at the tables beside the open kitchen. We found each and every one of our orders to be highly innovative, with flavorful twists. Who knew that butternut squash soup could taste so good. We also opted for the popular shrimp with garlic; every bite delicious.

Nashville, Tennessee
“Wow. Authentic and sublime Spanish food that rivals big cities.”
Reviewed November 20, 2013

Terrific restaurant. Estrella Damn on tap. Probably the best spanish food I have had outside of Spain. Originally from Spain, I can attest to the authenticity and quality of the food. The owner Felix came and chatted it up. Tortilla was delicious, Jamon Iberico was just as I remembered, and bocadillo of jamon serrano with tomato bread was superb. Croquetas good too. My mouth was watering at the bar area as the line cook was preparing the bacalao brandade. Highly recommend. Huge wine list as well.