“Great bakery !”

Old Europe Coffee & Pastries
Ranked #1 of 26 Bakeries in Asheville
Cuisines: European, Hungarian, Cafe
Dining options: Late Night
Description: ABOUT OLD EUROPE:Old Europe brings real, homemade Hungarian pastries to friends and visitors of Asheville, North Carolina. Owner and trained pastry chef, Melinda Vetro, was born and raised in Esztergom, Hungary. In addition to her "training" from her grandmother where she learned years of family recipes, Melinda was also professionally trained as a pastry chef for four years in Hungary before making her way to the United States in 1991.
Reviewed August 19, 2014

There were three of us we all got different treats - all were very happy ! Key Lime pie, banana bread cupcake with a chocolate ganache core ( genius ! ) and the best hazelnut Napoleon I ever had !! Not phyllo dough but the flakiest layered cake - gave no idea how they did it but I want more !

Reviewed July 1, 2014

The service (impatient and curt manners), unfortunately, put a bad taste in my mouth before I even tried any of the pastries. The filled cupcakes and chocolate pastries were very good; the shortbread cookies - while sizeable - were very "sandy" and fell apart too easily when biting into it. We later went there a second time, with the same results - terrible service (this time it was ignoring us to have a lengthy conversation with a friend instead of taking our order) but good pastries. I also wish she had not smashed the top of the pastry when she boxed it for us. I don't think I'll try for a third.

2  Thank Demitechnic
Reviewed June 30, 2014

Great place to have some tasty pastries and coffee. My fiance loves this place and we stop here every evening that we're in town They're open late too!!

1  Thank scottminot
Reviewed June 25, 2014

This was a wonderful stop before walking around the city on a rainy Saturday morning with friends. They offer several options for muffins, pastries of course and seasonal offerings. While there, we ordered an apple cinnamon muffin and blueberry muffin. Their coffee is fresh and they can make pretty much whatever you want. There are small areas to sit within the shop but can get a little busy of course in the morning.

1  Thank jermsshan
Reviewed June 18, 2014

We really loved the original location of the "old" Old Europe and it's ambiance. Desserts are still good, but the atmosphere is not the same. 2 for price of one bargain on Wednesdays are great.

1  Thank jimmcma