“Disappointing”

Old Europe Coffee & Pastries
Ranked #1 of 25 Bakeries in Asheville
Cuisines: European, Hungarian, Cafe
Dining options: Late Night
Description: ABOUT OLD EUROPE:Old Europe brings real, homemade Hungarian pastries to friends and visitors of Asheville, North Carolina. Owner and trained pastry chef, Melinda Vetro, was born and raised in Esztergom, Hungary. In addition to her "training" from her grandmother where she learned years of family recipes, Melinda was also professionally trained as a pastry chef for four years in Hungary before making her way to the United States in 1991.
Reviewed July 30, 2013 via mobile

My kids and I were really looking forward to this bakery. We love excellent delicate pastries. We got a rum ball, a carmel cheesecake, a berry mouse cake, and a chocolate souffle. The rum ball was very bitter. I've had delicious Italian pastries my whole life, including rum cakes. This was very bitter. The berry mouse cake tasted like plastic. The mouse was not light and fluffy...it had to much gel in it. The cheesecake was ok. I am from NY and Junior's cheesecake is my favorite...even the cheesecake factory beats this one. It had very little cheese flavor and was crumbly rather than firm and velvety. The only dessert we like was the chocolate souffle. It was delicious...light, delicate, and multitextured. Maybe we just picked the wrong things, but I would never go back.

There are newer reviews for Old Europe Coffee & Pastries

Reviewed July 5, 2013

I loved the gluten free options and the carrot cake is amazing. Very kind workers and a great dessert shop.

Reviewed May 30, 2013

Used my Asheville Deal, $5 for $10, but besides the coffees/lattes, the pastries are ridiculously priced. The nutella muffin was great, but at $4.50 (that's what I spend on lunch) I can't afford it.

Reviewed May 9, 2013

This is the 3rd stop for this small European style coffehouse in Asheville that I know of. I have been traveling to Asheville for about 2 decades, and in those days, there were just 2 coffee houses. Now Asheville has coffee houses everywhere. Old Europe started out on Battery, moved to Lexington, and now makes it's home on Broadway. The quality, service, and atmosphere has remained the same over all these years, and remains my favorite place for an expresso and a sweet desert.

Reviewed February 8, 2013

I went here to sample some desserts because I haven't found a great pastry shop in Asheville yet. I looked on their website before going and it says "Hungarian pastries." Most of the pastries are typical American bakery items like cheesecake, carrot cake and chocolate cake. Most of the items where chocolate, though. If you know Asheville, you know the vast amount of chocolate shops located here. Their selection was very limited, considering I've been to small-town bakeries in the area with a much wider selection of items. I bought two items to sample, a cupcake and other pastry. The cupcake turned out to be a stale miniature banana bread with a huge hole cut out of the middle that was filled completely with Nutella (there was more Nutella than bread), and cream cheese frosting on the top that had not been mixed properly (there were large chunks of cream cheese still not mixed in). The other was a incorrectly made Slovenian dessert dubbed "French Creamy." The only good things I can say about the place is the prices are lower than I've seen at most bakeries and the atmosphere is a mix of old and new that works.

1  Thank rsteedley