“Delicious.”

Chai Pani
Ranked #27 of 781 Restaurants in Asheville
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Neighborhood: Downtown Asheville
Description: Innovative, fun, affordable, delicious, mind blasting Indian Cuisine featuring "chaat" - crunchy, spicy, sweet, tangy, brightly flavored Indian street snacks and "Thalis" - traditional family meals highlighting India's amazing culinary diversity. Recommended by the New York Times, USA Today, Wall Street Journal, Bon Appetite, Food & Wine and GQ Magazine.
Asheville, North Carolina
“Delicious.”
Reviewed October 15, 2013

More than enough food to serve any appetite. Delicious. Tasty without being over pretentious. Enjoyed every bite. Casual setting. Did not know what street Indian food was like. Will eat there again.

• Visited September 2013

Asheville, North Carolina
“VERY GOOD SERVICE!”
Reviewed October 13, 2013

We had no idea what "street" Indian food was like. I'm used to traditional Indian food and thought there would not be much difference between the two. Well, there is a difference. The portions are smaller but very filling. I was stuffed when I finished eating. I had lentil soup with rice and naan bread along with Indian beans. Very tasty. But, what really astonished me was the waiter's knowledge of the foods and his willingness to help us chose what to eat. He was also very vigilant when I told him of my dislike of sweet potatoes. Much appreciated. If I lived in Asheville or the surrounding area I would definitely visit this place again. They have several vegetarian dishes as well.

• Visited October 2013
Clover, South Carolina
“New to Thai, it was delish!”
Reviewed October 8, 2013

Meeting up with friends who love Thai so we tried Chai Pani and loved it! New to Thai food we picked a couple dishes to share and all of them were delicious! They give you lots of food with lots of flavor. It is what it says though, street food, so don't go in thinking that it is going to be traditional Thai. The service was great, everyone was very friendly and attentive. We had to wait for our friends to arrive so they took us downstairs to MG Road to enjoy a cocktail. Neat little place to go hang out! We will go back on our next visit to try additional dishes!

• Visited July 2013
Winston Salem, North Carolina
“What foods these morsels be – part two”
Reviewed October 5, 2013

The bar for restaurants has been raised quite high in most parts of the US. Thirty years ago, outside of major cities, the States were a vast waste land of “meat and threes” and diners that, while well loved, were a celebration of ordinary. So when we come upon a revelation like Chia Pani in Ashville NC, in my opinion well above the bar, there is an extra cause for celebration.
We love small plates. What a great chance to try a bunch of different flavors without killing yourself with too much good stuff. We tried the Chicken Pakoras, a pizza sort of thing whose name escapes me, a Paneer (cheese) Uttapam which is a wrap of sorts AND Match Stick Okra Fries. This small plate of tissue thin slices of okra, deep fried and tossed in a mixture of lime and spices was the hit of the evening. Everything was wonderfully spiced; redolent with cumin and tamarind. All the dishes were a little spicy but none were overpowering even for my daughter and her tricky stomach. Our server was a bit of an amateur, about what you would expect in a college town but the slow service was of little concern. He was enthusiastic and knowledgeable. Of everything we had the okra and the kheer (a soupy rice pudding) with which we finished were the most extraordinary but it was all great.
The place is colorful and a bit funky, welcoming in every respect. I was amazed that we didn’t have to wait at all for a table at around 8:30 on a Friday night. Clearly this is a restaurant with a food centered philosophy and a commitment to simple food well prepared. The ONLY thing I don’t like about this place is that it is 3 hours away from home!

• Visited October 2013
linds_ywithane
“Fun dinner date but slow service”
Reviewed September 30, 2013 via mobile

We went in for an early dinner around 5pm. We were sat quickly & offered water. We ordered 2 veg samosa which were brought quickly to the table. They were super fresh and warm! Honestly the best veg samosa we have ever had & my husband is Indian so he has had lots in his life! He ordered the Butter Chicken & I ordered the veg option. The food was excellent & served so beautifully. My only complaint was our waiter. He didn't have much personality, was very slow on bringing refills and our check. Also the food is pricey. Overall it was a great stop during our visit to Asheville.

• Visited September 2013