“Best espresso in Asheville--maybe in North Carolina!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: American, Cafe
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Seating
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Seating
NC
“Best espresso in Asheville--maybe in North Carolina!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2014

We discovered this place on our last day in Asheville, regrettably. They take coffee seriously here--it's not just an accompaniment for a pile o' sugar. The barista here is an artist. I could have drunk far too many cappuccinos here (but settled for two). If I were going to open a coffee shop myself, this is what it would be like.

• Visited April 2014

United States
“These people are serious about coffee”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2014

This place is about the coffee. Not to say it lacks in any other aspect, but it is clear that here the coffee is the passion, the focus, the drive. The rest of it is secondary. And for me, that is EXACTLY how it should be. I go to a coffee shop for ... wait for it ... coffee. Espresso, americano, sometimes just brewed... no anything-cino, nothing with "pumps" or "whip." These people know good coffee. They respect it. They love it. They will talk to you about it. Want the coffee shop "scene"? Go drink some brown water at Battlecat. Really want a pastry and coffee is an afterthought? Go to West End. Want something that takes longer to order it than to make it? Go to Starbucks. If you want the best coffee in Asheville, go here.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank wahoobbk
Louisville, KY
“Best latte I had in Asheville”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2013

I love my morning latte. Not all coffee shops can make one that just warms your soul. Well, the latte from Waking Life did just that, warmed my soul. The shop is in a cute little house, down the street from the Public Library. My hubby and I went twice during our trip to Asheville and the baristas were awesome both visits. My husband got a quad shot and he was very pleased.
By the way, I do not go to Starbucks or any other large chain... I always search for local, off the beaten path coffee shops whenever I travel! This one is a 'must try'.

• Visited November 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Yadkinville, North Carolina
“Best Espresso in NC so far.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2013

Not much to say. Coffee shop. NOT STARBUCKS. This is GOOD coffee.

This is the best espresso I have had since moving to NC. I don't go looking for coffee shops, but when I am in an area that has one I go. When I go back to Asheville, I will get my coffee here.

• Visited September 2013
alexandria, va
“Great coffee shop.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2013

Very good expresso that was by far the best we have had on the trip so far. The blueberry muffin we had was very nice, whole berries, and not overly sweet. It may be a little hard to find as its in west asheville, but worth the effort.

• Visited August 2013