“Roomy, Bustling, and Flavorful”
Review of Pack's Tavern

Pack's Tavern
Reserve with OpenTable
Pack's Tavern is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #38 of 786 Restaurants in Asheville
Cuisines: American, Bar
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown Asheville
Cross street: Marjorie St
Transit: Bus stop 50 yards from building
Description: Pack's Tavern is proud to be housed in the historic Hayes and Hopson building in the middle of Pack Square Park. We are a locally family owned and operated restaurant serving a deliciously eclectic menu. We pride ourselves on top notch customer service and an inviting atmosphere. Pack's Tavern offers something for everyone as a restaurant, bar, tavern, event space, parkside patio, shuffleboard, 13 TV's, and free live music! Pack's Tavern offers outstanding service, the best drinks in town, and a large eclectic menu of over 60 items; everything from signature salads to hand formed burgers, from wonderful appetizers to hot pizza from our wood fired oven in a friendly, hospitable atmosphere. All to be enjoyed in the middle of the hustle and bustle of Asheville's "front yard", Pack Square Park. What else separates Pack's Tavern from other establishments is our unique variety of both local and regional craft beer. Our servers are happy to offer suggestion or try one of our beer "flights!" We rotate 30 or more local, national, and international craft beers to offer the best selection available.
Baltimore, MD
“Roomy, Bustling, and Flavorful”
Reviewed December 26, 2013

Decent amount of free parking in lot on south side of building (next to police station parking). Attractive wood interior. Nice high ceilings. Service was pretty attentive, even on a busy night (thank you, Austin). Chicken wings appetizer had some sizable pieces of chicken and offered a nice selection of sauces; however, they were too heavily breaded for my liking. Fried green tomato appetizer (on grits) was good, although the sauce on it was a touch too sweet for my liking. Drink selection (other than bourbons) was pretty good. Others in my party seemed to like what they had to eat and drink. I would not return just for the food, but I would consider it a safe bet for hanging out and drinking with some friends.

Loganville, Georgia
“Great Food and Atmosphere”
Reviewed December 24, 2013

My wife and I chose to eat at Pack’s Tavern on the recommendation of the receptionist at the Holiday Inn – Biltmore East, and we were not disappointed. I ordered the chicken/shrimp stir fry and my wife the fish and chips; both were excellent (I had to finish my wife’s). I also drank one of the local brews. We dined on a Sunday afternoon, and the place was full of folks watching football on the flat screen and projection TVs spread around the restaurant. The service was good. We will return.

Arden, NC
“Nice experience!”
Reviewed December 23, 2013

Went to Pack's Tavern today for the first time, I will for sure go back. I took my niece and nephew for an early dinner around 4:30,so not crowded at all. Fun atmosphere, I'm sure later in the evening would be quite the social scene. We enjoyed our dinner very much. The bison burger, trout, and fish & chips all get a thumbs up, no complaints at our table. Very friendly service.

Montgomery, Alabama
“Run of the mill restaurant”
Reviewed December 15, 2013

I have nothing bd to say about this place; it just wasn't special. It is a noisy gathering place in downtown Asheville, and is clearly popular, though I couldn't say why. There are salads, sandwiches, burgers and entrees. A large menu. I had one of the entree salads, which was fine, but there was nothing to distinguish it. Others in our groups said the same. Service was good, and our food came quickly. The restaurant is casual, and we were comfortable there.

Visited December 2013
Asheville,NC
“More than "Just a Buffet"”
Reviewed November 30, 2013

Last year my family discovered Pack's Tavern as "a great place for a Thanksgiving meal" and we were so pleased we returned for an even better experience this year. The buffet choices are traditional but the preparation is not. In place of the usual excess of sugar, salt, and butter in preparation, the chefs opt for a healthier spin w/o sacrificing flavor. Turkey was moist and there was plenty of dark meat--for a change. Ham was the real deal--no spiral cut honey roasted but slightly dry, a little salty, and a treat for those who know good pig when they get it. Mushroom soup, collard greens, house made ranch dressing and beet salad were superb--all seasoned perfectly enough to make most of us return for seconds. What impressed me more than any of the other choices was the cornbread stuffing which I normally avoid because it is usually too grainy, to sage-y, too dry, and just not as tasty as the bread-type. However, to be fair, I gave it a try and what a surprise! Delicately seasoned, creamy, utterly delicious --it was more like a polenta. The only disappointment was dessert--food service brand pumpkin and pecan pie. Both were okay, but such an anti-climax to an otherwise delicious repast. One of us summed all up perfectly, "I'd rather have fewer choices cooked well." Nevertheless, there was plenty of variety to ensure that everyone should be pleased.

Service was spot on. Although the place was full, our efficient and friendly waitress kept plates moving and glasses refilled promptly. As other reviewers have mentioned, the atmosphere is cheerful, jolly, relaxing and just plain fun to be part of. Even with the TVs tuned to sports events, the noise level was low enough to be able to converse comfortably. If you were a single diner, you would have no trouble feeling as if you were part of the Pack Tavern family. It is that kind of place.

The building itself is historic and the current owners have respected the past while updating what was originally an electrical parts store into one of the most comfortable and successful of Asheville's many good restaurants. Lots of wood, original wooden floors, brick, spacious booths with windows onto a busy and interesting square--all combine with the other ingredients to ensure a satisfying dining experience.

We are looking forward to trying the rest of the menu!

• Visited November 2013