“Brews & Burgers”
Review of Pack's Tavern

Pack's Tavern
Reserve with OpenTable
Pack's Tavern is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #74 of 832 Restaurants in Asheville
Cuisines: American, Bar
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown Asheville
Cross street: Marjorie St
Transit: Bus stop 50 yards from building
Description: Pack's Tavern is proud to be housed in the historic Hayes and Hopson building in the middle of Pack Square Park. We are a locally family owned and operated restaurant serving a deliciously eclectic menu. We pride ourselves on top notch customer service and an inviting atmosphere. Pack's Tavern offers something for everyone as a restaurant, bar, tavern, event space, parkside patio, shuffleboard, 13 TV's, and free live music! Pack's Tavern offers outstanding service, the best drinks in town, and a large eclectic menu of over 60 items; everything from signature salads to hand formed burgers, from wonderful appetizers to hot pizza from our wood fired oven in a friendly, hospitable atmosphere. All to be enjoyed in the middle of the hustle and bustle of Asheville's "front yard", Pack Square Park. What else separates Pack's Tavern from other establishments is our unique variety of both local and regional craft beer. Our servers are happy to offer suggestion or try one of our beer "flights!" We rotate 30 or more local, national, and international craft beers to offer the best selection available.
Reviewed April 2, 2012

Its hard to understand why Pack's wasn't jammed full on a wonderful Spring evening. We walked in, about 6:30 and very few tables were seated. The building is very old, but nicely restored. Its very near Patton square, set down off of Patton Ave.
The menu is mostly sandwiches and burgers. AND lots and lots of draft brews on tap. Service started off slow, but got better as more patrons arrived. The burgers were delicious.
With all the places that Asheville has, we even considered going back a second time. Next trip its high on the list.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,116)

Reviewed March 14, 2012

Bennigan's. 1989, the downslide before going out of business.

THE FOOD. Oh the food, just so very bad.

* "Meat"loaf - I guess there was meat in there? Of what variety, I cannot say. Gummy, pasty, tasteless, with occassional hard chunks of meat. {{shiver}}
* "Mashed potatoes" - well, it was mashed something. Sort of seemed like glommy potato(?) chunks mixed into gluey powdered instant mashed potatoes. So weird. Sort of crunchy and mushy at the same time, like the meatloaf.
* Veggies were DROWNING in margarine - a literal 1/4 inch deep pool that encircled the "meat"loaf and mashed "potatoes." What a weird, weird, flavor that I have not tasted in ages. Even Applebee's has some sort of better oil-butter-substitute something. It was horrifically awful. And no other seasoning.

THE PORTIONS are American-style-nauseatingly large. For crying out loud, give me half the food, better yet a third, and spend the money on some halfway quality ingredients.

ATMOSPHERE: Bennigan's, minus the green and white. No lie. The whole shebang, right down to the brass rails, "antiques" on the walls, oversized booths with hideous print. I fully expected to see waitstaff with overalls covered with their "flair."

SERVICE. Was like the margarine. Obnoxiously in your face in all the wrong ways, leaving a greasy coating on everything, when what you really need is totally missing. Bartender/waiter was obnoxiously artificially hyper when greeting us. ("SSSOOO!!! How YOU doin? Where are you FINE FOLKS visiting our LOVELY TOWN from today?!?!" Uh, 3/4 a mile down the road, dude. Take it down a notch.) Then he would vanish for long stretches. We sat at the end of the bar, where managers and waitstaff would congregate when bored. At one point there were 4 managers, and 3 staff all standing within literally 30 inches of us, gossiping and other topics not appropriate for customer earshot, and not one person acknowledged us. No one would bother to ask if we needed more water (3 empty water glasses), another drink (2 empty beer glasses), forks or napkins (none were ever presented), anything. We sat at one point for almost 20 minutes staring at a full plate of food while 12 separate employees stood inches away from us, and even ignored us when we tried to get their attention. I finally told my husband that if our bartender didn't materialize by minute 20, we were going to just get up and leave. We couldn't pay if we wanted to, because no one brought a check. And we were apparently invisible. And the food was disgusting, and barely touched because we had no forks. I had already thrown $5 for the beers when our bartender showed up, and apologized for the lack of cutlery. Greasy smile on his face, as if nothing in the world was wrong.

VALUE: OH MY GOSH it was expensive. I can't remember the total bill, but I nearly fell out of my chair at the cost of inedible meatloaf, a side of veggies and a side salad.

They have good beers on tap, there's that, I guess.

Frankly, I am stunned the place is still open. I gave it 3 months tops. I guess a lot of people want to relive their '80s glory days, right down to the bad food and atrocious service.

Reviewed February 24, 2012

Looking for late-night food? This is the best place for it! Nothing too special about the menu, but the food is good bar food & LOTS of great beers on draft to choose from!

Reviewed February 19, 2012

Pack's Tavern in downtown Asheville was a fun experience for my hubby and I. We had terrific service, food was good, a great beer selection.

Reviewed February 12, 2012

Enjoyed a family dinner here one Monday night. The restaurant was full, but not crowded or noisy. We were seated at a large booth, big enough for our family of five. We had chips and salsa to start and then an assortment of dishes, from sandwiches to steak (several with a local twist, like the Mt. Mitchell burger). Too full to try any dessert, but they sounded delicious. The only slight disappointment was the 14 oz Rib Eye; not because it wasn't delicious, but rather, unexciting, with several ounces of fat and carrying a $20+ price tag, while everything else on the menu was much more mid-range. We'll definitely be back.