All reviews light sleeper shower area bunk room privacy curtains spacious kitchen experience staying late at night fantastic location sinks brewery noise valuables downtown mattress
Reviewed March 13, 2014

Exceptionally clean and well-maintained.I arrived on a Sunday and left on a Wednesday, so I managed to avoid the super loud music of live entertainment at the nearby Brewery. The hostel was relatively quiet most of the day until the bar's piped-in music picked up at dinnertime. It was easy to drown out the noise with earplugs, though, so no worries. The staff was friendly, the other patrons were generally friendly (except for a few bar hoppers that assumed everyone wanted to hear their plans for the night at 11 pm!). The guests were almost 50/50 young college-aged adults and older travelers (50s-60s). I was there with my daughter for her 16th birthday and didn't have any issues with inappropriate behavior. We stayed in two private pods, which is what I would do if I ever visited again. The location could NOT have been better! We parked in the garage on Rankin Ave and walked everywhere in Asheville. It was a great "base camp" for our trip!

Room Tip: Stay during the week to avoid the sound of live music at the nearby brewery!
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed January 5, 2014

Had a great stay here while visiting Asheville for a weekend with a friend. The location was great for exploring Asheville on foot. The open layout and clean, modern design make for a nice atmosphere.
As others have mentioned, it's pretty noisy at night -- both from music and snoring guests. That said, if you are a solid sleeper, plan to stay out until the bars close, and/or bring your ear plugs, then you should be ok.
Overall, I definitely enjoyed my stay here and would recommend it to others - so long as noise at night isn't a deal breaker.

Room Tip: Pods are great!
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Denise J
Reviewed January 5, 2014

Let me start this review, first by telling you that at nights until 2am you are forced to hear loud music. There is a bar downstairs. Secondly, no alcohol is allowed inside the hostel.

The above two things did not bother me because all other things are awesome.

Well located, neat, clean place and big place, friendly staff, nice kitchen, free towel and extra blankets, free locker, and many other things that you may or may not find in other hostels.

Did I say it's well located? It's in the center of the city. You can reach many places in the city on foot. They don't have a parking but one can find free street parking close by. I think they have bikes for rent or free. Not sure about that.

It's basically a big loft with partitions and bunk beds. Personally, I like the lofty look. The living is big and comfortable to sit, relax and read. I found people staying there quite compared to other hostels. Probably, because they don't allow alcohol in the hostel. You know what alcohol does to people ;-)

Free tea and coffee :-)

Overall this is the best place to stay in Asheville.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed December 29, 2013

Foremost, let me say that Sweet Pea is beautifully crafted, and it is staffed by friendly folks. It could not be more conveniently located. It is clean, and the expectations for customer behavior is well-implemented. So why only a two out of five? The noise. Lexington Avenue Brewery, owned by the same people that own the hostel, adjoins, and the bone rattling shaking of music lasts until 2:00 am every night. It was so loud that, despite ear plugs, I could not sleep until the bar staff left at about 2:30. I measured the noise with a decibel meter on my phone, and it never got below 50 decibels. The bass translated through the structure, literally causing the walls to shake.

If not for the noise, Sweet Pea would be incredible, an easy 5 out of 5. As is, it's barely tolerable. Upon inquiring after this issue, someone associated with the hostel admitted that they could never sleep there. This person said that it was fine for the heaviest of sleepers or for partiers, but it was not good otherwise. Agreed.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Thomas W
Reviewed November 18, 2013

This was my first time staying at a hostel. Wow, what a treat, if you're doing a trip solo or with a group of adult friends. I would not recommend this place for younger kids. But this hostel was inexpensive, clean, and had a lot of nice features to include wifi. Keep in mind, this is like living in an open bay to a degree, like military basic training, but much better. It as centrally located to all the great eating spots and bars. You could walk to the cool spots in less than 20 minutes. If I'm ever in Ashville again without my family, this is the place I will go. Keep in mind, if you drive, there is a parking garage located right in front of it. Parking will run you $10/day.

Room Tip: Bring slippers, do not walk around barefoot. It's against the rules, but people were doing it. Quiet hours are from 12am to 8am. Don't spend too long of a time on the pooper, the bathroom lights are motion activated. Pack light, your personal belongings will go into a middle-style wall locker. Don't walk into Sweet Peas with four large pieces of luggage and expect space for them.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends