“What a great place!”

Northeast, TN
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“What a great place!”
Reviewed June 23, 2013

Battery Park Book Exchange was great enough that we stopped by twice the other day. The book selection is amazing. Well cared for used books in a sprawling space that one could peruse for hours. Leather furniture and cloy places to curl up abound. In the afternoon, my husband had a beer and I had a glass of prosecco, then we both had blood orange mimosas. The drinks were delicious, the atmosphere phenomenal. Sadly, though seated right next to the bar, the service was ridiculously poor. We were completely ignored for a good while. Still, I loved the place enough that when we'd wandered for a few hours we returned. We sat at the bar and were completely ignored for several minutes, despite the fact that 4 employees were having conversation and milling around. We flagged someone down to help us. My husband ordered a coffee drink and biscotti and I had a glass of wine. The server forgot his biscotti and we had to flag someone else down to grab one. We were going to have another round of drinks, but we were completely and totally ignored, and it was certainly not because the staff was too busy to assist us. They talked, they laughed, they intentionally averted their eyes rather than being of any assistance. I got annoyed and decided that we would go elsewhere…but was anyone around to help us close our tab? Nope. We were just going to leave the money on the bar after we waited a ridiculously long time for assistance, but felt weird just leaving like that and had to search someone out to help. That being said…this place is great, aside from providing us with the worst service we've received anywhere in a while. I mean, it has to be if we actually returned, got bad service AGAIN, and I'm still in love with it, right? The layout, the books, the atmosphere…in my book it makes return visits well worth it, essential actually. It's worth the annoyance of a terrible wait staff.

Visited June 2013

• Korean first
Nashville, Tennessee
45 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 117 helpful votes
“Dog friendly and People friendly”
Reviewed June 23, 2013

You can bring your dog right in! Free ice cream if you buy a book! Pretty rooms filled floor-to-ceiling with great books. Super friendly servers offering all sorts of wine and beer, cheese, charcuterie, pastries, chocolates and other treats. Magazines and newspapers to peruse while you sip and snack. I love this place. I have never seen anything like it where dogs were permitted. It's like being in a fancy Parisian salon with super friendly servers and delicious decadent treats. I would come here all the time if I lived here. Open 11a-11p every day.

Visited June 2013
Smithtown, New York
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Cozy, fun place”
Reviewed June 5, 2013

Live music, comfy sofas and chairs. Wine, champagne or a nice cup of tea while you enjoy the very friendly cozy atmosphere, good service, friendly people of the dog and human variety. Fun place to spend time and make new friends.

Atlanta, Georgia
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Books, Coffee, Champagne...fantastic combination!”
Reviewed June 5, 2013

I can't say enough great things about The Book Exchange in the Grove Arcade in downtown Asheville. We started here on our food tour of downtown and found the champagne and appetizers were delicious. What elevates this establishment to the level of being a book lover's dream, is the maze of shelves of neatly categorized books with wonderfully cozy seating areas scattered throughout. This multilevel bookstore feels like a classic library from a historic mansion. We were so taken with the place, we returned for after dinner coffee and chocolates. Lastly, when we discovered that they welcome well-behaved dogs, we became even more ardent fans.

Visited May 2013
1 Thank KaTaHo
Charlotte, North Carolina
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“A must go see”
Reviewed June 2, 2013 via mobile

Favorite stop in Asheville!
Best peach Bellini's ever! I love the atmosphere and always stop while in asheville