“Overall really good dining experience”
Review of The Blackbird

The Blackbird
Reserve with OpenTable
The Blackbird is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #73 of 793 Restaurants in Asheville
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown Asheville
Cross street: Ashton St
Description: The Blackbird located downtown Asheville, NC has a beautiful modern handcrafted interior while featuring modern cuisine. Locally sourced farm to table and changing with the seasons. Local family owned and operated. Great bar, beautiful lighting, cozy seating - the perfect spot!
Johnson City, Tennessee
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Overall really good dining experience”
Reviewed October 11, 2013

My wife and I got a table for two in the corner and had a very nice time at the Blackbird. The wine selections were good and I had a cocktail named the Blackbird with citrus vodka and a blackberry syrup that was quite good. We shared the shrimp & fried green tomato appetizer and crab cake appetizer. Crab cakes were a little better. We then shared the duck entree which had a great flavor with delicious accompaniments. All in all, a good ambience and delicious meal. Would recommend it for a fun date in Asheville.

• Visited October 2013

Lexington, KY
“Good food - original menu - nice location”
Reviewed October 4, 2013

We enjoyed a mid-afternoon visit to the restaurant on a hot July day. The menu had a nice selection of fare at reasonable prices - there was something to suite everyone's tastes. Portion size was good, food was cooked properly, and the presentation was delightful. The coconut cake was to die for! They opened the windows to the street in the evenings - it would be fun to enjoy a meal while sitting near the window and enjoying the views of the crowd.

• Visited July 2013
Sarasota, Florida
“Nice atmosphere - bland food”
Reviewed October 3, 2013

A group of four ate at The Blackbird in September 2013. We all ordered different things (lamb special, surf & turf burger, steak, and pasta). All agreed the meals lacked seasoning and were quite bland. The steak was not cooked as requested. Service was adequate but not what you'd expect given the price points of the entrees. I'd give it a second try, but would not send anyone there based upon this experience.

Asheville, North Carolina
“an evening at the Blackbird”
Reviewed September 30, 2013

Recently ate dinner at this place here in asheville. they have moved to Asheville from nearby Black Mountain where I heard the dining experience was quite good. I can say at best I give an average rating here. First and foremost, if you plan on conversation and a nice time to talk with people sitting at your table just forget it. The place was so very loud that none of us at the table for 5 could hear a word among us. I mean speaking loudly we had to repeat everything over and over. Finally we gave up and were basically mute. Except to yell in the person's ear next to us we were at a loss to communicate.
As far as food, the appetizers were good, a cheese plate nice, a vegetable dip plate very good.. the soup of the day, a chowder of sorts was fine but not exquisite. Due to the prices I felt were too high, of some of the dishes-- I opted for the soup and shared some dinner with my husband. He had a chicken dish that was good but not remarkable. It was somewhat overpriced, as most items were, for the quality.
I mean to say the food is certainly good and edible but not what I was led to expect. By far the dessert they go on and on about and the thing I expected it to be wonderful was the coconut cake. I got an apple cobbler and it was good,but shared the huge piece of coconut cake that was served.
It was fine but not nearly as moist and delicious as the claim was made. I was surprised the size of the serving was so huge, that was good. But if you want a fantastic MOIST coconut cake, find the Admonition Coconut Cake recipe on line and you will never be disappointed.
All is all I give this an average rating.. Go alone because your voice will not be heard by a companion.

1 Thank debrasimons
north carolina
“open windows feel like a big city”
Reviewed September 22, 2013

oyster po' boy with fried green tomatoes yummy. super bread and roulade sauce.

enjoyed the oversized bloody mary. came with a shrimp, mussel, clam and an olive.

hamburger perfectly cooked and amazingly juicy. bun was perfect. often can't believe how some restaurants deliver great food on awful bread. not here.

only complaint is the shoestring fries were soggy.

service excellent.