“A lot of hype and not much substance”

131 Main Restaurant
Ranked #70 of 823 Restaurants in Asheville
Cuisines: American
Good for: Large groups, Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Reviewed September 18, 2013

This was my second visit to this restaurant. I was rather non-plused the first time. This visit was with a group on a Tuesday night. We found the staff to be superficially accommodating, but unorganized, distracted by personal socializing, and inefficient. The group was split on their satisfaction with the entrees. Mine was mediocre. On balance, the meal experience was unsatisfactory, and overpriced.
The ambience of the restaurant was pleasant and not too noisy. It was clean and well lighted.

Reviewed September 13, 2013

We stumbled upon this restaurant as we were traveling from Knoxville to Isle of Palms. Yelp does find some of the best places. Anyway we stopped in and were greeted warmly and were immediately sat on the patio. Service was quick and it appeared we had a team of servers. Each one helpful and quick to respond.

We ordered the Meatloaf with Stroganoff Gravy, mashed potato's and curried corn. We split this and the accompanying ceasar salad. There was more than enough for 2 from one order :) The meal was split for us in the kitchen and presented beautifully. The entire meal was delicious. So delicious we might stop on our way home to eat there again.

The atmosphere was really nice, this restaurant has an upscale feel, it would be a nice date spot and we were in and out in a jiffy; Back on the road without a hitch. Please note we were not rushed at all and I did notice a chairs to relax by the fireplace outside and couples lingering at their tables. We were happy to have such a delicious meal and then get back on the road.

I highly recommend this restaurant.

Reviewed August 17, 2013

We ate here for my husband's birthday. It was early on a Friday evening, so there was no wait. I decided to try the baby back ribs. As a rule, I never eat ribs in public, but I decided to make an exception because of the delicious hickory smoke smell outside. When the server brought the ribs I was very shocked! It was a full rack! They were delicious, definitely fall off the bone. The French fries were even better. They were tiny and crispy, sort of like Italian fries. My husband had the meatloaf with shitake mushroom sauce. It was amazing! I will be having the meat loaf next time. Overall, a great meal with a nice laid-back atmosphere. The bonus is that it's located right next door to the movie theater and a short walk to Barnes and Noble!

Reviewed August 11, 2013

We love this place. The burgers are the best I've ever had. Also, the Roast beef sandwich for lunch. Yum!! Love the bar area, which is where we always eat. Just a great little find.

Reviewed August 9, 2013

I was advised of a 20 minute wait at 8:00PM on a Thursday night, so I retired to the bar which was virtually empty. The Bombay Safire martini was excellent as I waited on my filet and “smashed” red skin potatoes which arrived within 10 minutes of my ordering. The filet was done to perfection (med rare). The generous portion of potatoes was tasty but barely warm. They needed 30 seconds in the microware. Although I didn’t try any, the wine list was extensive and I’d like to go back to explore their menu further next time I’m in town.

1  Thank be400cpt