“It's not the GHOSTS that will have you scared...”

Ghost Hunters of Asheville
Ranked #29 of 65 Tours in Asheville
More attraction details
Owner description: Three separate 90-minute ghost tours cover different aspects of historical, haunted Asheville. The exclusive interactive downtown tour features use of ghost-hunting equipment. Historical Montford’s architectural beauty and stunning landscapes serve as backdrop for hunting ghostly specters. Riverside Cemetery beckons to those who dare enter and commingle with the ghosts of eras past.
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Wheelchair access, Activities for older children
Reviewed March 25, 2010

I booked this tour for my boyfriend as his anniversary gift since he's really into the ghost hunting shows and stuff. We were told to show up at 8:15, and after waiting, and waiting, and waiting, our tour guide FINALLY showed up almost 20 minutes late. She explained the equipment to us, then we proceeded out on the tour. She was VERY educated on the history of Asheville, however, i was very fearful...not because of the "ghosts" (I am a huge skeptic) but because of many other reasons. 1) she tried BREAKING INTO A LOCKED BUILDING!! seriously...she held the doorknob and kept hitting the door with her shoulder. 2) we had someone come up to us and ask for a dollar...she freaked, yelling (very dramatically) "OHHH NO! Thats ILLEGAL!!!!!!" to the guy, who at this point i thought was going to mug us thanks to her reaction. seriously?! just give him a dollar so we can LIVE! Also (and this is more because of my own skepticism than her lack of knowledge) she claimed we were guaranteed photos of paranormal activity. all we got on camera were orbs...but it was RAINING!!! c'mon, are those really ghosts or raindrops you're capturing. it was also very windy so we couldnt even use the dowsing rods, and she explained to us that when the EMF would go off to make sure we werent near any telephone wires or stuff like that. sure enough, it went off, the 1st time she said it was because of ghost activity, the second time because there were "underground wires". so how are you sure the 1st wasnt due to underground wires as well?? crop of bull if you ask me. overall i WOULD NOT recommend this tour...if you believe in ghosts, fine, but find another one or at least bring yourself a body guard on this one.

Want something worth your money? due one of the Asheville food tours!!

1  Thank amyz1301

Reviewed February 22, 2010

Why on earth would two skeptical grown adults pay good money to go on a ghost tour? Quite simply, because they're fun. Ghost tours reflect a specific niche of a city's history: the stories that live in the grey area between fact and urban legend. Listen to the tales of the unsolved murder in a landmark hotel, of an architect buried without his family, of the young girl who perished in a fire and her grieving mother. This is the hidden history of a city, the kind that's passed down by word of mouth instead of ink and paper.

Take your camera with you and take pictures of the "orbs" throughout downtown. Likely they're just a trick of optics and digital camera technology, a momentary reflection of your flash off a speck of dust or droplet of water vapor. But why are they sometimes a fiery red, and why are they there one moment and gone in the next? While we're at it, why is your battery draining more quickly than you expect? Take the time to wonder, because even if the explanation isn't paranormal, the phenomenon is fascinating nonetheless.

You certainly could lag behind the group and snicker to your date about all the dupes in the crowd who buy into this whole notion of restless spirits. If you do that, though, you're missing the magic of the experience. Dial down your doubts, if only for ninety minutes - the experience is well worth it.

Don't neglect to take the short drive to the haunted bridge, by the way. It's one thing to be a skeptic in the middle of downtown, but another thing altogether when you're on the side of a quiet and dark mountain twenty minutes from midnight. You may be surprised how close to believing in the supernatural you actually are.

Reviewed January 6, 2010

Our Ghost Meters flashed like the Christmas lights of downtown Asheville during our interactive tour with Ghost Hunters on December 22. Underground cables, street lights, and trolley lines explain some of the high EMF readings…but not all of them, and the blue orbs in a handful of our photos are not dust motes or nasal spray. The divining rods that repelled in my hands still have me scratching my head. Whether the experience was normal or paranormal, my wife and I thoroughly enjoyed the tour—it became too real for our 11-year-old son who loves watching Ghost Lab and Ghost Hunters so he and I returned to the hotel—and our guide Deb was friendly, enthusiastic, and knowledgeable and helped us make a wonderful memory. We highly recommend Ghost Hunters of Asheville.

2  Thank Bulfytr
Reviewed December 31, 2009

Our guide Deb was very knowledgeable and full of stories on the Asheville Ghost Hunters Tour. I came away from this experience not only with some amazing paranormal photos but a new knowledge of the history of downtown Asheville. This tour was informative, fun, and sent chills up my spine. Forget the trolley tours and hoof it. Using the EMF reader and dousing rods was exciting and they really worked! You've seen TAPS and Ghost Hunters on TV, now go experience it!

2  Thank NCCowboy
Reviewed October 7, 2009

I love haunted tours and we do them whenever we travel. There was a new tour in Asheville this trip! We have been on other tours and, if the guide isn't interested, no one else is either. Our guide on this tour was amazing! She was really into the stories and the history and there was never a dull moment. They also supplied equipment to try to pick up paranormal activity, which was really fun. I would recomment this tour to anyone traveling to Asheville.

2  Thank Raven7777