“Tour good, follow-up terrible.”

Ghost Hunters of Asheville
Ranked #29 of 64 Tours in Asheville
More attraction details
Owner description: Three separate 90-minute ghost tours cover different aspects of historical, haunted Asheville. The exclusive interactive downtown tour features use of ghost-hunting equipment. Historical Montford’s architectural beauty and stunning landscapes serve as backdrop for hunting ghostly specters. Riverside Cemetery beckons to those who dare enter and commingle with the ghosts of eras past.
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Wheelchair access, Activities for older children
Reviewed August 25, 2013

My friend and I went on the Montford and Downtown tours. Both were interesting, although there was a lot of noise and activity downtown that made it a bit difficult to hear. Unfortunately, we were also with a group of older teenagers whose chaperone would not keep them quiet and focused. Also, the overhead power lines caused false positive responses on the equipment. We were made aware ahead of time that this would happen and felt that maybe the equipment would be more useful on the quieter, less congested Montford tour. The guide was very knowledgeable about the stories and history for each stop. The reason for the poor rating has to do with follow-up after the tour. She asked us to share our photos. I realized once I got home that I had several very interesting photos with figures in windows and interesting lights and orbs, but wasn’t quite sure what to make of them. I emailed some to her asking about them. Day after day went by with no response. I was patient knowing she had a busy week. I tried contacting her through both of her emails and facebook to no avail. In the meantime, she had been posting on facebook, including photos from other tours during that time. I don’t care if she didn’t want to post my photos; I just wanted feedback giving me some idea of what I had captured. After all, she stresses how to set your cameras and wanting to see your photos. I finally sent her a private message on facebook telling her how disappointed I was and felt that I, unfortunately, would have to give her a lower rating than I originally thought I would. That’s when she responded, very negatively, explaining how “horrible” the week after our tours had been. Giving her the benefit of the doubt, I apologized for our miscommunication. She never responded and when I went to their facebook page, I saw that she had posted negative comments about me and another client. She didn’t mention my name, but the fact is all of this was very unprofessional.

4  Thank justsocurious
ghostlady2, Owner at Ghost Hunters of Asheville, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2013

TripAdvisor can be a funny thing. People can swear at you, abuse you, stalk you and hold you hostage that they'll write a negative review if ... You're supposed to take it. We atypically draw a line and sometimes pay for it -- as we have with this person.This guest wrote a glowing report on our webpage, we answered her emails two times, and then had a family crisis -- going into survival mode to meet family concerns while continuing to give excellent tours. Then, this guest wrote a third email (in 2 weeks) threatening us with this TripAdvisor review and she took down her first glowing report. Guests, please don't think that going on a tour entitles you to a lifetime of communicating with us on a twice or thrice weekly basis! This just isn't feasible. Sometimes we do make lifelong friends on the tour, but bullying us pretty much ensures we'll run the other way. And we did with this guest. In the dilemma between "Bad Review vs. Personal Self-Respect and Ethics," we'll always choose the higher road. Lastly, please take personal responsibility for seeking out several sources on the validity of pictures for a richer, more informed viewpoint. We're glad to weigh in, but we're not the end-all and be-all of authority.

Reviewed August 17, 2013

This is the type of fun everyone should seek when on a family vacation. In between touring the Biltmore, enjoying Asheville's delicious food and craft brews, breathing in the mountain air, and shopping for art in this amazingly creative town, this tour was a unique way to "get the lay of the land" in the downtown area. Our very patient guide handled our pre-teen skeptic's nervous comments with the same aplomb with which she analyzed digital photos taken by the serious "hunters" in our group. A wonderful way to see and appreciate the art deco architecture throughout this always surprising and mysterious, mountain town.

5  Thank Eileen B

We consider one of the most important things we do is to create memorable and fun family time. It was our pleasure to do this for you.

Reviewed August 15, 2013

On their website, Ghost Hunters of Asheville boasts that they give you EMF Detectors and other tools and make you think that you will be going on a "real" Ghost Hunt. This was just one big joke! Yes, they give you tools, but the "Ghost Hunt" was really just a night walking tour of a few city blocks. The guide tells you about supposed "deaths" that happened at various locations as you walk around. It was basically "story time" as you go on a walk at night. Don't waste your time or your money on this one!

2  Thank Siennastef
ghostlady2, Owner at Ghost Hunters of Asheville, responded to this reviewResponded August 17, 2013

While your review history reveals you don't easily give good reviews, we are still sorry we didn't meet your expectations. We try to facilitate guests having increased knowledge of the paranormal, using ghost-hunting equipment and obtaining paranormal photographs. People get out of experiences what they bring to them, but it is perhaps truer with our tour. Open-mindedness, keen attention, and active participation help with results.

Reviewed August 13, 2013

Me and my wife really enjoyed our Ghost hunt w/ Deb Maddox. She is thorough, equipped and very engaging. Hunting ghosts is something we (as African-American people) do NOT do; nevertheless, Deb made the experience worthwhile and my wife and I now have one more memory to add to our album.

The saddest part of the event was hearing about its history and so many people, during extremely difficult times, taking their own lives when they felt so helpless and alone. I have learned that in the absolute worst case scenarios, life is still worth the living.

Peace...

2  Thank mrob45

We didn't know it was your anniversary! It was a privilege -- and a whole lot of fun -- spending it with you. Congrats!

Reviewed July 28, 2013

We went on the Montford ghost tour this past weekend and it was wonderful. The tour guide answered questions, orbs and mists were caught in pictures and lots of history was learned about that area. I really enjoyed it, the guide brings pictures from past gusts and historical photos to show during the tour. I highly recommend this tour-it's great.

1  Thank allison b

You were a great guest, Allison. I've also appreciated your contributions on our facebook page. Glad you've joined us. We'll keep trying to inform and educate with great photos along the way.