“Small plates are really appetizers”
Review of Olive or Twist - CLOSED

Olive or Twist
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups, Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations, Takeout
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown Asheville
Cross street: Woodfin
Description: (formerly Decades Restaurant)
Reviewed June 28, 2013

We've been trying small plate places when we find them, so we decided to try Olive or Twist.

We told our waitress we wanted to share the spinach salad, and the chef did a terrific job of dividing the salad into 2 lovely portions. Kudos for that.

Absolutely loved the smoked trout dip. Fried green tomatoes over cheese grits was ok. Can't remember the one other dish we had.

Olive or Twist isn't sophisticated, but the food's not bad. Looks like several of the dishes are a step up from regular bar food. The place was virtually empty at 6:30 on a Friday night, but we were told things really pick up when the entertainment starts at 8:30.

Reviewed June 1, 2013

The food tonight was not edible. I don't know what has happened, as it usually excellent. Asked if Bill the owner was there (thought perhaps he was not in the restaurant and that is why the food was mediocre) he was. Totally confused and sad.

The fish tacos were great. Our favorite (fried green tomatoes with pimento cheese grits) was just awful. Green tomatoes were good - half were reddish and mushy. The grits were cold. As in COLD. Waiter seemed embarrassed and quickly brought us warm ones (not hot)

After reading the reviews as of late - am wondering what is going on there. The place was hopping and everyone had a great time dancing. Drinks were eh, band great.

I miss knowing the food will be fantastic every time. :(

Reviewed May 19, 2013

Our party of six arrived early around 5:30. Our young waiter immediately informed us they were out of chicken. How can this be? After taking our drink order(which took forever to prepare considering we were the only ones there), two of the six drinks were wrong.Watermelon vodka replaced regular, no pomegranate juice to finish another. My martini was okay but considering their specialties are martinis don't you think they would have anchovies or blue cheese stuffed olives? We were told but our waiter who tried his best to please us that at least once a day a table gets up and leaves without ordering food. Our group decided to do the same since our visit was not going to get any better if we ordered food. We are sure they will be out of business soon.

Reviewed May 18, 2013

My wife picked out this restaurant for a nice romantic dinner for our anniversary we were celebrating in Asheville. Reviews looked good. Had 7:00 dinner reservation; arrive a few minutes prior. Seated immediately. Waitress was friendly. Wife order Chicken Marsala and I ordered a ribeye, medium, with garlic mash potatoes and vegetables. Meal arrive about 30 minutes later. Immediately presentation was poor. Steak was dry and grey in appearance, no juice on plate, cut into steak and it was grey and very tough to cut. Have to work to hard to get the knife through. This steak should have never left the kitchen. Called the waitress over and asked if the steak looked right to her. Asked in a nice way... Was being patient but disappointed. She offer a replacement steak, but she could not confirm it would be better. ((Red flag... Concerning). Decided since my wife liked her chicken to try to find something else. Manager came over. Offered another steak or something else. Tried the ribs. Looking forward instead to some juicy ribs. Wife finished dinner. My order came out. No steak knife, thought these should be tender, could not cut into them. Asked for steak knife really trying to make a go of it. Steak knife... Hard to cut. I am a fairly muscular man. Finally got 3 ribs separated. They too were very grey as the might be, but dry except where the scattering of barbecue sauce touch. Very creepy. Gave up. Wife had had coffee. Called for the bill. They did not charge for steak or ribs, but charge full price for rest. Manager did not come back. Sent waitress with check.

Went to restroom and it was very dirty and reminded me of a cheap bar or gas station. Did not match decor of what appeared to be a classy place.

Will not go back. Will not recommend. Avoid if looking for good food.

Reviewed May 18, 2013

I was pleasantly surprised at the high quality of my burger and my martini. Love that I can shop all the way down the street and then pop in for a hot, tasty meal and adult beverage.