“Must stop for chocolate.”

French Broad Chocolate Lounge
Ranked #3 of 46 Dessert in Asheville
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast
“Must stop for chocolate.”
Reviewed August 27, 2014

This is my most favorite stop while in Asheville. At night the line is out the door, but well worth the wait, which is not as long as one might think. The employees are friendly and working hard to serve the customers. The chocolate is wonderful! My favorite is the chocolate tort, it's so hard to choose.

• Visited August 2014

• Korean first
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Decadent indulgence!”
Reviewed August 24, 2014 via mobile

Recommended to us during our stay in Asheville this weekend. Many creative chocolate treats to choose from- also offers creme brûlée with fresh local berries. A must try is the hot drinking chocolates- I had the salted caramel truffle and my husband had the dark chocolate truffle. Warm, rich and filling! Be advised that you may see a line outside the door on the sidewalk. Don't worry-you will be ushered in pretty fast. Enjoy!!

St. Petersburg, Florida
“I wish I was there right now...”
Reviewed August 19, 2014

Three words: Lavender Creme Brulee. Be still, my beating heart.

The only complaint that I could come up with is that there really isn't a whole lot of seating, even in the upstairs loft area, to accommodate the amount of people who were looking for some sweet treats at the particular time that we strolled in. The atmosphere is fantastic though!

• Visited May 2014
Gastonia, North Carolina
“Honey and lavender infused drinking chocolate to die for!”
Reviewed August 19, 2014

Luckily, Asheville is not a far drive from my home, since I almost always include a stop at the French Broad Chocolate Lounge. If you ever get a chance to take a Saturday tour of their factory, I highly recommend that experience, as it deepened my appreciation of their artisan, hand-crafted processes for making some of the most outstanding and diverse chocolate confections in the country, if not the world. My personal favorites are Honey and lavender infused drinking chocolate and the Indian Kulfi truffles. My husband treated me to an small cake from them on my last weekend-in-Asheville birthday. It was marvelous!

As far as logistics go, this is a very popular place that gets packed with a line out the door. We deliberately plan to go there late afternoon, and have not had too much of a problem. Be patient! It will be worth the wait!

• Visited February 2014
North Carolina
“Good Chocolate...Bad Customer Experience”
Reviewed August 17, 2014

I've been to the Chocolate Lounge twice now. The first time was a cold, rainy day and the line to get-in was out the door, but I'd heard so much about the place from an Asheville friend and my own wife who was there with the friend that I decided to let the over-crowdedness pass. We ordered some cake and hot-chocolate based drinks and they were very good. After enjoying our selections at a table we were really lucky to get, I thought about buying some truffles to take home. That's when I realized, the line for buying chocolates was the same line for buying drinks and desserts served at the lounge, so I decided to pass. I really think this establishment needs to redesign its space to make the experience more comfortable and they need more front-end staff to ring up chocolate truffle purchases at a showcase set-apart from the drink/eat-in line. Because of the setup, it's not a particularly enjoyable experience to go there. I found it very confining and unfriendly, especially to take time to see what they have in the showcase and make selections. I've read other reviews which say something similar. Too bad. Chocolate shops are high on my list of favorite places. This one is a hassle.

• Visited October 2013