“Great Desserts”

Ranked #6 of 45 Dessert in Asheville
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast
Reviewed October 21, 2013

Huge Line!!! It's a nice little spot. Live music and good desserts, loved it. I wish I live in Asheville. ;)

1  Thank acupofwarmmilk
Write a ReviewReviews (2,085)

Reviewed October 20, 2013

A friend and a local both recommended French Broad Chocolate Lounge being the chocaholic that I am. We stopped by after dinner and there was a long line (which is usual) so we went back a little later. The line was shorter and moved quickly. They have you wait outside so it doesn't get overcrowded inside. The service was pleasant and quick. The menu was full of chocolate items galore. We got a fruit and cream type parfait, a hot chocolate inspired drink, and a cold fruity drink. All were delightful but we weren't blown away as the reviews would expect you to be. However, we didn't try the truffles or cake so we can't speak to those. There was also a live jazz band that was a wonderful added touch.

1  Thank Khyati D
Reviewed October 20, 2013

If you want chocolate, this is the place to go. The liquid truffle was the best chocolate drink I have ever eaten. I also had a chocolate creme brulee. That was excellent as well. There was no line when I went, but there is a sign upon entering that asks to remain outside if the line is too long. If you are in the mood for something chocolate, this is the spot.

1  Thank Rich R
Reviewed October 19, 2013 via mobile

The carrot cake was delicious wish I could say the same about the dry crunchy brownie. They were busy when we got there and the servers seemed confused about things. I doubt I'd go back if I was ever in Asheville again. Too much headache for a so so cake I can get quicker at publix and more than a sliver for almost 6 bucks.

FBChocolateLounge, Manager at French Broad Chocolate Lounge, responded to this reviewResponded October 21, 2013

I'm really glad you enjoyed the carrot cake - it is one of my personal favorites! As for the rest of your visit, I apologize if things seemed slightly chaotic. Our staff is a great staff, and they work very hard to meet every customer's needs. October is one of our busiest months due to leaf season and festivals. The lounge is generally buzzing with customers, and this means employees are moving quickly around the kitchen, which could be mistaken for confusion. But if any of your questions during your visit went unanswered, please let me know!

I certainly hope you visit French Broad Chocolate Lounge again. If the brownie wasn't to your liking, you should try the Highland Mocha Stout Cake or our Seasonal Trifle (right now, it's fig jam, cornmeal financier, and port mascarpone). Our prices may be more than grocery stores, but French Broad Chocolates is committed to using organic ingredients from responsible sources to produce products we can all feel good about.

Thanks for taking the time to write a review - this helps us make customers' experiences even better!

Love,
FBCL

Reviewed October 16, 2013

We visited this chocolate wonderland on a recent Thursday evening. The line was inside the door when we arrived, but by the time we left an hour later, the line stretched halfway up the sidewalk. A sign was clearly posted to remain outside the front door if the line inches past a certain point inside. Right away, that gives you an indication of the crowds this place brings in.

In the heart of downtown, it has a European feel with quirky seating upstairs and down.

Make sure you spend some time reading through all the menu items so you're ready to order when you reach the front of the line. We tried several truffles and a cookie, along with my first taste of a lemon Izze drink. A little pricey by the indivdiual piece, but you'll probably need to avoid going overboard on the richness and variety of the chocolate.

If you're into local foods, there was a great free magazine available on a rack downstairs which we used to find "U-pick" farms within the Asheville area.

A wonderful place to relax. A free wifi password is posted both upstairs and down. Plan to hang out a while and enjoy being with friends and family in a casual atmosphere.

1  Thank SpringdaleGirl