“Local hangout”

Firestorm Books & Coffee
Ranked #16 of 25 Bakeries in Asheville
Dining options: Outdoor Seating
Neighborhood: Downtown Asheville
Description: Firestorm is a worker-owned and self-managed co-operative in Asheville, NC. Our bookstore features a unique blend of off-beat, underground and independently published materials while our in-house cafe serves up an extensive selection of organic and fairly-traded espressos and teas, complimented by delicious snacks made locally.
Reviewed October 21, 2012

If you want a taste of Asheville's locals scene with vegan food and good coffee, Firestorm is the place. They always have some sort of local unique event going on in their back room, staff is always nice, and they have an interesting selection of books. Sometimes the customers can be a little, say, eccentric, but that's all part of the charm.

There are newer reviews for Firestorm Books & Coffee

Reviewed September 17, 2012

great independent bookstore with a cafe (plus community space at the back for local lectures or music). internet connections. cafe serves local food - from sandwiches to truffles. staff is friendly.

1  Thank melaniejaneb
Reviewed August 12, 2012

I've been here twice, the first time I got food which was okay, but several bugs were crawling all around my table which made it very unappetizing. The interior is shabby and honestly, I'm not sure about the hygiene of everyone. Saw several homeless people just hanging out in there. Asked the two guys behind the counter for a manager and they said there is no manager because they are a co op. They need some kind of advisement and direction. The next time I came in with a friend because she wanted a coffee. We stood in line, I ordered and paid for mine, the barista made mine and then when my friend went to order the barista got really huffy. I believe it was because she was alone and several people were lining up behind us. So the barista sighed and said "uh can I make yours after I help all these people?" Why? I mean really, why should my friend have to wait for you to help all the other customers just because she and I weren't paying together? I'm thoroughly confused and she was so absolutely rude. My friend said she didn't want her drink anymore so we began to leave and the barista loudly said to the next people "WELL I GUESS SHE DIDN'T WANT HER DRINK." I am vegan and so totally bummed this place sucks so badly. I will not ever be returning and I'll make sure all my other vegan friends know why.

2  Thank Madison C
Reviewed August 4, 2012

This is a very nice small bookstore. It has a great vibe. It is definitely a place you can just hang out in if you needed to take a break or kill time. They also have a nice cafe with gluten free pastries, which I appreciated as someone who is very allergic to gluten. It is also a worker owned co-op which I loved. They have a great selection of zines too.

Reviewed July 9, 2012

Good coffee. Quick service. Love the atmosphere. Patton Avenue.