Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Asheville West (Biltmore Estate)
Ranked #10 of 66 Hotels in Asheville
Reviewed April 3, 2013

My wife and I have stayed at several hotels in the Asheville area and this one has come to be our favorite. We frequent the area because of being annual pass holders for Biltmore Estate. The staff has always been friendly and accommodating and the rooms have been clean and pleasant. We like the location of the hotel being enough distance from the interstate that traffic noise is not a problem but convenient enough to Asheville so any trip is short and sweet.

Room Tip: We've stayed on the fourth floor every time we've been here.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (2,012)

Reviewed April 2, 2013

We stayed for two nights and were very happy with our decision to stay here. The room was quiet, very clean, and in excellent condition.
The staff were very friendly and helpful and the buffet breakfast was very nicely presented and featured lots of choices. And, it was served on actual dishes and real silverware, not the usual plastic/plastic which seem to be the norm for most places these days. A very nice touch!
The location is not real obvious if you have never stayed there before but once you find it the access is good to downtown Asheville, major highways, and the Biltmore Estate which was the reason for our visit.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 1, 2013

The hotel had good enough reviews from others, but I found it old and run down, and the breakfast was marginal at best. Both mornings, the hot water was empty and the eggs had to be replaced. The workers took their time replacing both, and seem bothered by my requests to provide these. Asheville was pleasant though, so we didn't spend much time in the hotel. I will come back to Asheville, but will look for somewhere else to stay. Also, the thermostats were complicated, and we were hot the first night, cold the second.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank refnak
Carlson Hotels C, Online, Customer Support at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Asheville West (Biltmore Estate), responded to this reviewResponded April 7, 2013

We appreciate you taking the time to provide us with your feedback. We apologize for the problems you experienced with the breakfast. We know how it important it is to have a good breakfast in the morning and will be discuss your comments with our staff to make sure this does not happen again. We also would like to apologize that our hotel did not meet your expectations. Should you wish to discuss your concerns further please contact the hotel directly.

Reviewed March 28, 2013

My husband and I spent a week here while house-hunting in the area. Because we work from "home," it was important to us to have fast and reliable Internet. The Country Inn did not disappoint--offering both wired and wireless options.

The staff there are fabulous--courteous, helpful and fun--every single one of them. From the front desk to the kitchen staff to housekeeping, they made our stay enjoyable.

One negative--and this didn't apply to us as it was just the two of us--was that the sleeper sofa in the suite would have been impossible for sleeping had we needed to use it. Mattress was painfully thin and any adult sleeping on it would have been in severe back pain by morning. (On the other hand, is there such a thing as a comfortable sleeper sofa?)

I'd go back!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 25, 2013

I'm afraid I did find something not to like. Overall I was pretty happy with this hotel, and I would recommend it to others, so while the majority of this review may seem negative, it really shouldn't be viewed that way. Our room was very very clean and the beds were so comfortable that my father-in-law was interested in finding out where the bedclothes were from so he could buy them too! But we had two negatives that I would be remiss not to mention.

First, we stayed on the 3rd floor (322) and our room was next to the elevator. The configuration of the room is such that the headboard is on the same side as the elevator. As such, whenever the elevator is in motion you can hear it. It's not loud, but for the sensitive it could be annoying. I'm not sure what the possibility of reconfiguring the layout of this room to move the beds to the opposite side - it could be that is impractical. But if not, I'd advise it to the staff. The noise is minimal enough that I'm convinced it wouldn't be noticed at all were the beds facing the other way.

But that wasn't the major issue. Whoever had the room directly above us apparently had some late-night kiddies running back and forth and it was so annoying that not only did my wife complain, but even I couldn't get to sleep! (And trust me, I can sleep through just about anything!). I called the front desk to see if they could help. They said they'd call but 1/2 hour later it was still going on. I took a bit of a risk and went up to check for myself at about 11:30pm. First I listened near the door to verify it was indeed that room - it was. Then I tapped at the door. The father came to the door and I asked in as humble a way as possible if anything might be done. He was apologetic as could be, saying he didn't realize it was noticable elsewhere. By the time I returned to my room, the noise had stopped and didn't happen again.

To that father, I offer my sincerest thanks. I've got kids too and I understand completely, but he took my suggestion well in stride and didn't get upset at me complaining at all and all was resolved perfectly. But it seems to me unlikely that the front desk had actually done anything with my complaint. And there's the matter of the hotel soundproofing being obviously at least somewhat to blame. They didn't sound like they were running back and forth - just walking regularly. I just don't think that sort of sound should carry so noticibly that people in the room below can't sleep.

Bottom line - I WOULD recommend this hotel happily. I just got hit with an issue of noisy neighbors, a front desk that apparently is loathe to get involved, weak soundproofing between floors, and a non-optimal room configuration as respect to the elevator. Not a likely scenario. In fact, my in-laws in a different room had absolutely no problems at all.

Breakfast was great, the coffee and cookies were inviting, and the hotel is very convenient to the interstate (but not TOO close). I had need to run to a nearby grocery store and it too was very nearby. One of the better hotels I've stayed in, but I can't say it was quite EVERYTHING I hoped it would be.

Room Tip: 4th floor would be best (no upstairs neighbors) and away from the elevator (122,222,322,422 I'm...
2  Thank 1BlueDragon1
Reviewed March 24, 2013

Starting with our greeting by the clerk at registration, Devon Patel, this hotel was "spot on." Devon got me bottles of water when the vending machine was empty; he found me a corkscrew for my wine after I realized I had forgotten mine; and recommended a restaurant that was great.
Our room was very clean and comfortable (props to our housekeeper). They had a nice workout room & pool and the room was quiet enough that we didn't hear our neighbors. Breakfast was better than many I've found at other hotels making the same claims.
One recommendation: Get the cable company to update the channel guide. Many of the channels that were listed on the guide no longer existed or had changed.

1  Thank Malvernation
Reviewed March 20, 2013

The front desk personnel were extremely helpful in booking an add'l night for my family and with providing directions to surrounding attractions. Our room was very clean and stocked well. I would recommend this hotel to anyone wishing to stay in the Asheville West area.

• Stayed: March 2013