“This is a wonderful SMOKE FREE facility . . . friendly staff, super clean, great breakfast, nice pool, & great price!"”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Asheville West (Biltmore Estate)
Ranked #9 of 63 Hotels in Asheville
Oak Ridge, Tennessee
Reviewed June 29, 2011

We used to stay at another well-known motel chain in Asheville. Country Inn & Suites in Asheville West is $50.00 cheaper per night than where we used to stay and has the other hotel chain beat in every area! This hotel has been open a year and a half but is so clean that I thought it had just opened. This facility is SMOKE FREE, which we loved. When you stay in a hotel that allows smoking in some of the rooms, then every room smells like smoke. This hotel just smells fresh The breakfast was much nicer than usually provided with healthy options such as oatmeal, fresh fruit, and yogurt as well as the traditional eggs, sausage, biscuits, muffins, cereal, waffles, juice, coffee, etc. The staff was genuinely friendly, patient, and helpful. I felt safe in this hotel (guests seemed to be mostly families). The pool and whirlpool were really nice. I will never go back to the more expensive hotel where we used to stay!

1 Thank pat55242

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (273)
Wexford, PA
Reviewed June 29, 2011

Everything was great. The people who work at the hotel are exceptional. Clean, convenient and comfortable.

Lexington, Kentucky
Reviewed June 24, 2011

The hotel is clean and the staff is friendly. It is a bit noisy in the halls and outside. The hallways and the elevator are a bottleneck. I felt like a NASCAR driver going down the hall dodging the cleaning carts, buggies and the staff. It is a bee hive when they start cleaning. The breakfast area is crowded and is really too small for this size hotel. I would recommend as a good value and it is very clean.

• Stayed June 2011
Virginia
Reviewed June 24, 2011

First thing - beware that this motel apparently has NO EMERGENCY PLAN. On the morning of my check out, there was a power failure and a child was stuck in the elevator alone for about 30 minutes. (Why he was roaming the motel alone at 7:00 a.m. is a mystery to me.) Apparently the phones at the front desk are all hard-wired land lines, as the staff member was a little flustered and had to borrow guests cell phones to call the fire department and the manager. We were told the power failure was due to "storms in the area", of which there were none. I found out later it was a traffic incident with a power pole, but not sure why we got a made-up story. Frightening to think how they would handle a more serious emergency! That was the "cap" on my two night stay.

Other issues - I asked for a quiet room at check in as suggested by other reviewers, and was given a room "away from the elevator and ice machine" on the third floor. Unfortunately, that meant I was close to the stair well door at the pool end of the building. And even more unfortunately, a group/family that was split between two rooms was checked in right next door to me. The first night, people were entering and exiting those rooms continually up until 11:00 p.m. when I finally stepped into the hallway and asked them to please be quiet. (The room doors and stairwell doors all squeak and slam very loudly unless you take care to close them gently). They were also seeming to enjoy the pool and coming and going through the stair well door repeatedly. Door slamming resumed at 4:15 a.m!

After spending part of the day away from the motel, I came back in the early afternoon to try to nap to make up for the poor night's sleep, only to have the fire alarm go off in the motel! There was apparently no fire, and two trucks responded from the fire station that is right off the back lot of the motel. (Beware, you'll hear the sirens when they get calls!)

My second night the slamming began again, and I noted the number of times my "neighbors" went in and out of their rooms between 8 & 9 p.m. - it was 8 times in that hour! Seemed to be the children coming and going, unsupervised. I then called the front desk and asked for help, and to their credit the slamming only happened 3 more times before I was able to go to sleep.

Also, at check in, I was surprised that the staffer at the front desk took a phone call from someone asking about rooms and spent what seemed like a long time on the phone with them discussing various options while I stood waiting. I assume there is a "hold" button on the phone, and I believe that good customer service dictates dealing with the person who is there "in person" and has a reservation first! Also, the elevator repair man arrived as I was attempting to check in, and again, he received attention ahead of me, even though there was no apparent urgent elevator issue.

Good points - clean; reliable internet connection; good variety on breakfast, a/c fan can run continually to provide white noise (but that doesn't help when the whole wall shakes as the door slams, or when the fire trucks receive a call!)

I won't be returning. I mentioned to a couple of other guests that maybe all these issues were related to "working out the kinks" in a new motel, but one of them remarked that it had been there two or three years. I realize the staff can't do anything about the fire department being next door, and they did respond to my call about the noise, but someone "at the top" needs to work on some of the other stuff.

Room Tip: I guess you can ask!
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
9 Thank roadripper
Holland, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 21, 2011

We just returned from spending 5 nights at this hotel and the experience was wonderful. We had the 1 bedroom suite and the rooms were large enough considering the amount of time actually spent in the room and were clean. The dining room staff were fantastic.....the breakfast food containers were always refilled quickly and the food was great with 2 options - healthy food (oatmeal, yogurt, cereal) or regular food (eggs, waffles, grits, etc.). The front desk staff were extremely courteous and provided excellent customer service. The hotel is situated in a great location - very close to major highways, gas stations and restaurants. I would definitely recommend this hotel!

North Carolina
Reviewed June 20, 2011

We spent one night here en route to western N. C., choosing this particular hotel after our usual practice of browsing TripAdvisor. The Country Inn & Suites is an attractive place; our room was spacious, comfortable, clean and a touch upscale. We felt like we'd made an excellent choice and returned from a dinner ready to settle in for a nice night's rest.
Little did we know what awaited us the next few hours...
We should have noticed upon our arrival the contigent of adults around the pool and the "front porch" area with bottles of beer. We should have noticed that the couple who entered their room as we entered ours could be heard (having a normal conversation) through the walls...
As we started to settle in around 10:30, we began hearing footfalls - walking, jumping - above us. Every few minutes a loud, jarring "bang" came. It sounded like something hard was dropped from a long distance, with the sound reverberating through our ceiling.
Between 10:30 and 2 a.m., we made three telephone calls and two visits to the front desk to complain. The desk clerk called the room above ours to let them know about our complaints, but the room occupants hung up on her. At 2 a.m., the desk clerk told us, "I don't know why they're not asleep - they have a 6:30 wake-up call." Sometime after 2 we finally drifted off to sleep, but it all started again at 6:30.
Here's what we found out:
- a youth baseball team was staying in the hotel
- the room above us was occupied by 4 11-year-olds who spend most of the night playing baseball in their room; no adults were in the room
- parents of the boys stayed in other rooms, meaning the kids on the team were allowed to stay alone
- other team memebers spent part of the night running up and down the 2nd-floor hall, unsupervised, leading to complaints from many 2nd-floor guests
- the beer party at the pool, complete with all the glass bottles, continued until the wee hours
- multiple guests made complaints, including a woman behind me in line at check-out, who also said multiple calls to the front desk were not addressed.
What else?
We found out the desk clerk worked ALONE at nights - no security, no other personnel. The desk clerk on duty that night told us at one point, "They didn't sound-proof this hotel at all. The walls are paper-thin. We get complaints all the time." She told us on several occasions she was going to go personally to the room above ours to ask them to be quiet, but apparently she never did. When we last called at 2 a.m. (the hotel was full and it was too late to pack up and go elsewhere) we asked the clerk to call the police. She said she would. She didn't.
The next morning, the attendant on duty offered us a 5 percent discount off our stay, and proceeded to consult the notes from the evening with the litany of complaints about the baseball team and their noise. Because the team members' drunk parents were off in their own rooms, they didn't notice the noise. Because there is no security at this nice hotel, the noise couldn't have been addressed. Because the kids played most of the night, we got perhaps 5 hours of sleep for our $175.
Finally, the clerk offered "$10 an hour for the four hours you were kept awake - $40 off your bill. Will that be OK?"
Uh...no.
Ultimately we did talk by phone to a manager who agreed to give us half off the original cost of our stay. He could not answer why the clerk never went in person to the room above ours to ask them to be quiet; why adults were allowed to drink beer out of glass bottles around the pool beginning at 5:30 p.m. and continuing until well past midnight, despite the "no glass container" posting; why children were allowed to stay unsupervised or unaccompanied; why occupants of the room above ours were allowed to just hang up when calls were made to make them aware of complaints, with NO follow-through; and why this hotel - full of travelers, new, somewhat expensive ($175/night) had NO security. But he did tell me that if we stayed again, he'd let us know if a baseball team was also staying there.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
11 Thank bhorner3
Bellaire, Texas
Reviewed June 14, 2011

This hotel is an excellent choice if you're being careful with your budget. It appeared to be newly constructed and was very clean and comfortable overall. The staff is excellent, especially Ms LaShonda who was very courteous and friendly over the phone when I had to make some changes on my reservations -- and when I met her when I stayed at the hotel.

One word of caution is if you're looking to be in the downtown Asheville area within 'minutes,' then you might want something closer, since the hotel is a bit of a drive (5-7 minutes, I'd guess), but this was not an issue for me.

1 Thank Aawaaraa