“Great hotel, don't understand what everybody is whining about!!!”

Ranked #7 of 65 Hotels in Asheville
GreenLeadersSilver level
New York
“Great hotel, don't understand what everybody is whining about!!!”
Reviewed October 30, 2012

I stayed here about a year ago for two nights with my mother, we went down to Asheville primarily to see the Biltmore, the location is a bit set back from downtown Asheville and the Biltmore Estate itself so you will probably want a car but, other than this it is located in a very nice newly developed community called Biltmore Park I believe. Rooms were spacious and service was excellent. Price was just right too at about $150-$200 a night as I recall. I really don't understand what everybody is whining about and it simply amazes me that such a great property could be trashed in this manner on TripAdvisor so I just had to put my two cents in. Oh and I would definitely stay again if I had to.

Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank boulouki
BFH_Marketing, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Asheville Biltmore Park, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Hello boulouki,

We appreciate your kind words and are so glad that you are a fan of our fantastic hotel! We hope that you are able to visit us again in the near future!

Lauren Cooper
Hilton Asheville Biltmore Park

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reviewed October 30, 2012

I think the previos reviews are little harsh for this hotel.From the time we checked in, the front desk and bellman could not have been more helpfull in getting us maps, making dinner suggestons etc. Parking was not a problem. Plenty of spaces accross from hotel and a multi story car park in the rear of the hotel. Lots of resaurants within walking dstance. The Biltmore is 6 miles away but the hotel is locted off a major highway so it is easily accessable to any major attracton. Rooms were large and well appointed. The offer complimentry coffee in rooms
an hotel lobby as well as apples. I would stay here agan .
Travelin

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank lkobsey
north carolina
Reviewed October 30, 2012

This is a very nice hotel in this newish, planned community that is about a 15 minute drive to the Biltmore Estate or downtown. Very close to an entrance to the Blue Ridge Parkway. Unless you are planning to focus your trip exclusively on downtown Asheville or the Biltmore you're going to have to drive anyway so this is perfectly good location. Also, it's nice that once your day is done you can walk to lots of restaurants, a movie theater, an REI and a Barnes & Nobles. A note on the restaurants: They are a pretty generic lot, none of the independently-run restaurants the area is well-known for. For the allergic: Ask for a feather-free room. They'll be happy to provide it and compared to most hotels they must actually keep the rooms pretty clean as I didn't wake up with "hotel sinuses".

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
New Hartford, Connecticut
Reviewed October 28, 2012

This is a pricey hotel that was disappointing, at best. it is farther away from downtown Asheville than the staff indicated when we made the reservations. It is in a new, planned community that was established just before the economy tanked four years ago and still has many vacant storefronts and empty condos/apartments. The parking is problematic and the whole place had a surreal, artificial feel to it.
Once we checked into the hotel we discovered a room that was crowded, had only one chair and no luggage rack or place to put our luggage. When we pointed this out to the receptionist, she said she would call housekeeping immediately saying that many of the desk chairs had broken, but they would find us one. When we left 48 hours later, we still had no chair or luggage rack. Further, we were kept awake from midnight til 2:00 A.M. One night by noisy neighbors. There was NO soundproofing between our rooms. If you are a Hilton Honors member, stay at the Doubletree Hotel closer to downtown and the Bilt,ore Estate. It is less expensive and much nicer..

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank GibsonLady
BFH_Marketing, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Asheville Biltmore Park, responded to this review, November 1, 2012
Dear GibsonLady,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at the Hilton Asheville Biltmore Park. We are sorry that you had a disappointing experience during your time with us. Guest satisfaction is very important to us and we try hard to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding stay. We do tout our location as one of our unique highlights – as Biltmore Park was the first mixed used community in Asheville and offers our guests a variety of restaurants, shops and entertainment, all within walking distance of the hotel. The retail space is around 80% occupied and the apartments are 100% occupied. While street parking is limited, there is a free parking garage behind the hotel, with a direct entrance, and we also offer valet parking. We do apologize for the desk chair and luggage rack issue. Please know that we have addressed our staff directly, and we don’t foresee this being an issue moving forward. Thank you again for your feedback and we hope you will consider staying with us again.

Lauren McDevitt
Corpus Christi, Texas
Reviewed October 27, 2012

I am a male senior citizen. I stayed as a solo traveler four weeks (June 30 to July 28, 2012) in a single king room on the top (6th) floor. (The top floor is not a club level having an exclusive lounge.)

The hotel was built 3 or 4 years ago and has four-diamond rated facilities. The basement has a large indoor swimming pool and a large exercise room with many treadmills and many TVs. The lobby floor has a huge room with the front desk, a restaurant, and a bar. They are separated by partitions going partially up to the ceiling and lack any doors. The hotel lobby has a computer connected to the internet and available to hotel guests. I used the internet computer once or twice a day and sent documents to be printed in a room behing the front desk. Two elevators swiftly carried guests up and down. One waited very little for an elevator to arrive.

The hotel is located in a wonderful new development in Asheville called "Biltmore Park" (not to be confused with "Biltmore Village"). Biltmore Park is fairly level and is about four or five blocks square. Free self-parking in a multi-story garage just behind the hotel was available to hotel guests and any other visitor to Bilmore Park. Many restaurants only few-blocks walk from the hotel served lunch and dinner, but only one served breakfast (only Mexican food).

The hotel restaurant was extremely busy at breakfast. The breakfast buffet was popular for folks of all ages from young children to seniors. On some mornings even the hotel general manager and hotel assistant general manager assisted for an hour or so in the restaurant. The only restaurant serving breakfast outside the hotel but still in Biltmore Park offered Mexican food. The hotel restaurant served American food. I ate every breakfast in the hotel restuarant and needed no lunch.

Few people ate dinner at the hotel. First, many restuarants only a very short walk from the hotel served dinner. P.F. Chang had a restaurant only four blocks from the hotel. I often enjoyed dinner at 123 Main Restaurant a block from the hotel. Second, the hotel restaurant overcharged at dinner. For instance, it served a six-ounce steak fillet platter for Twenty-six Dollars. I e-mailed the hotel general manager copying the hotel assistant general manager that a restaurant a few blocks from the hotel served a seven-ounce steak fillet platter for Eighteen Dollars. The response from my e-mail was not any e-mail reply but an increase the next day of the price of the six-ounce steak to Twenty-seven Dollars. Thus, I seldom ate dinner in the hotel.

My single king room on the top floor was superb. I had a gorgeous view from a huge window. The king bed gave me a wonderful sleep. The room had a huge flat pannel TV. The room had plenty of space, a couple of chairs, a desk top, and plenty of drawers to store one person's clothes. The closet space was ample. The bathroom had a large shower stall but no tub. (Women may not like the lack of a bathtub.) The room was soundproof: I never heard a peep from the hallway or nearby guestrooms.

I noted two problems. On August 23, 2012, I e-mailed the hotel general manager (a man) and copied the hotel assistant general manger (a woman) to thank them for the good things about my four-week stay and to note the two problems. Neither top hotel manager replied. On September 28, 2012, I e-mailed the corporate office of Hilton Hotels to note the two problems of the Hilton Asheville Biltmore Park and the lack of a response from either top hotel manager. Now it is October 27, 2012, and the corporate office of Hilton Hotel has not replied to my e-mail.

The first problem was that the woman front office manager when on duty at the hotel front desk wore attire that displayed her cleavage. (The woman assistant general manager always wore attire on duty that was modest.)

The second problem was that maintenance was quick but failing. A man would quickly arrive, work on the problem, but not fix it.

The first maintenance problem was the thermostat in my guestroom. Finally after several days of visits, the thermostat was replaced and correctly calibrated. Maintenance gave me a minature chocolate candy in the shape of a hammer to apologize for the long time to fix the thermostat.

The second maintenance problem was a slowly draining sink in my guestroom bathroom. Maintenance came three times to attempt to clear the sink drain. In the first visit, hot water was run into the sink. In the second visit, a maintenance man put a chemical in powder form into the drain. In the third visit, a maintenance man put a chemical in liquid form into the drain, told me to leave the chemical there for twenty minutes and then rinse it out with plenty of water, and told me he would use a plunger if a fourth visit were to be necessary. Not even the third visit succeeded in permanently clearing the sink drain. I never called maintenance for a fourth visit, and I never received another chocolate hammer. In other hotels when I have had a slowly draining guestroom bathroom sink, maintenance has come with a mechanical snake and cleared the sink drain for good on the first visit. Did the Hilton Asheville Biltmore Park own a mechanical snake for clearing drains?

Because of the two problems and the failure of response to me by either top hotel management or by Hilton Hotels corporate office, I have downgraded my overall rating of the hotel to poor.

Room Tip: I recommend a room in the middle of the top (6th) floor.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank Retired_Preacher
Dear Retired_Preacher,
Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay at our hotel. We are very sorry you were unhappy with your experience. We appreciate your feedback, and will keep your comments in mind while we work to improve our guest experience. We have worked with our maintenance team to correct all issues that you found in your room and we have discussed the other items with our staff members and restaurant manager. We hope you’ll stay with us again soon and tell us what you think about our improvements.

Lauren McDevitt
Birmingham, Alabama
Reviewed October 26, 2012 via mobile

We stayed 4 nights. I would stay again and recommend the hotel to others. The staff was friendly and helpful. The room was large and comfortable. We paid extra for a corner king with a balcony. The up charge was worth it. We faced Main Street which was quiet. Sadly the bathrooms had no separate showers. The tub shower is not the best and we had to wait a while for hot water. The rooms facing the interstate had a river and mountain view, but lots of interstate noise. Here were the two issues we had. 1. The down comforter is not encased in a duvet cover. Instead it is on a flat sheet and covered by another flat sheet. After a toss or turn in bed your face comes in direct contact with the comforter, which we were told is not changed between guests. Not a good thing. 2. There were smashed bug remains on the inside of the Window that never got cleaned and we stepped over the same toothpick in the hallway for all four days. It was nice to have a fridge in the room and free in room gourmet coffee. A little more attention to cleaning detail and correcting the duvet issue would make this a great hotel.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JMG44
Reviewed October 25, 2012 via mobile

Had to be in Asheville for business & chose this due to it's location & facilities presented online. I was very impressed with it in person. I heard from another employee that it was about 3 years old. It's very modern & offers a bar area, restaurant, and spa. Great shopping & dining in walking proximatety. Would definitely recommend to others & stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012