“A perfect getaway!”

Hotel Indigo Asheville Downtown
Ranked #21 of 66 Hotels in Asheville
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed March 16, 2010

What a fun little hotel this is! I was visiting my daughter (UNC-Asheville) and decided to stay at the Hotel Indigo because of the location on the edge of downtown. If the weather hadn't been so rainy, we would have walked all over the downtown area from this convenient "home base." Luckily the hotel has a nice, underground parking garage so the rain wasn't a problem. The hotel itself was EXACTLY what I needed - it's hip, quirky and refreshing in every way. The little bistro/bar is awesome, offering delicious choices served by smiling staff. Yes, and live guitar music at night by the same chef who prepares those incredible bacon-egg-croissant sandwiches in the morning with lovely garnishes! My room was divine (except for the noise from the highway) - and the Haiku poetry on the coasters, notepad and even on the "do not disturb" sign made me smile. Perhaps best of all were the wildly joyful paintings in the lobby by local artist Jason Gerard (you should visit his gallery & studio on Clingman St.) - they are well suited to this fun environment!

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled solo
There are newer reviews for Hotel Indigo Asheville Downtown

Reviewed March 13, 2010

The hotel indigo is a beautiful new hotel and a surprisingly good value for the money. I will absolutely stay here again - the room had dark hardwood floors, a comfortable bed with nice linens, modern design, a chaise, a beautiful bathroom with a huge tiled shower, etc. It was also quite a big room and was simply well-designed. The location is great in downtown Asheville; it is right on top of the freeway but we didn't notice that at all (in fact, it made finding the hotel late at night easier). We were disappointed that room service stopped at 10 pm on a Friday night; the bar was open, though, and we were able to get a fantastic bottle of wine at a relatively decent markup (compared to what one normally expects in a nice hotel) and more generally they had a very good wine list. The bartender was able to recommend a place that delivered food late, so we did that. The parking situation was tight - we got the last spot in the covered garage; this would probably be less of an issue if it hadn't been raining so hard. The internet is free and reliable. There were aveda toiletries. Overall, I really like this hotel, especially at the price I paid!

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed March 11, 2010

The hotel is one of the cleanest I have stayed in. The floors of the room are beautiful hardwood. The bathroom is large enough for two to get ready, with a huge shower (no tubs in any room- so if you are a bath taker then this is not the place). The front desk staff is very helpful. The bartender is friendly. The decor is calming yet colorful and eye-catching. It is right on the highway, but very quite- the windows are silencers! Luckily, the indigo is right downtown and within walking distance from just about everything. I would stay her again.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 3, 2010

This new, mod hotel is JUST what downtown Asheville needed. It is hip. It is happening. The staff is friendly in the best way. No icky, fake Southern hospitality here.
We stayed at Hotel Indigo for Valentine's Day weekend. We were running very late due to a snowstorm in route. The staff held our room and were very helpful. When we arrived (after midnight) the downstairs bar area was still rocking with live music - in a good way. Every table was occupied, and people seemed to be enjoying themselves.
Our room, 513 on the 5th floor, was spacious and quiet with a decent view of downtown Asheville and Pisgah National Forest in the distance. The bed and linens were both top notch, and the deep shower was stocked with Aveda products and boasted superior water pressure. Every detail was considered, right down to the cool MP3 player on my night table. We spent more time in the room than we planned.
Steps out of the front door was just about anything in downtown Asheville. We walked everywhere easily. No need to get the car out. We enjoyed the convenience of almost feeling like we lived there for a few days. And, every time we got in the elevator, the staff people greeted us with a smile.
I would absolutely stay at this hotel again. While they raised the price for the holiday weekend, it was still a memorable, comfortable experience.

Reviewed March 1, 2010

We found it difficult to find a nice inexpensive place to stay back in Oct. 2009 and ended up at the Crowne Plaza which is not downtown. Last month we booked the Hotel Indigo and not only was is cheaper than CP, it was ten times nicer. It's in a great location and in warmer weather we could have walked everywhere we wanted to go downtown! We did ask for a room away from the interstate when we noticed half the rooms faced that way upon arrival. There were a couple of menu items that were gluten-free, an added plus since I can't eat gluten and low to mid priced hotels (in the U.S) aren't the best places to find safe dining options. Our room service breakfast arrived before promised and was quite delicious!

We are headed back to Asheville soon and have booked again at Hotel Indigo. I'm not sure if the recession has something to do with their fabulous pricing but this places currently offers an exceptional value in Asheville. The staff members are friendly, helpful and thoughtful. The spa shower is lovely and the bathroom is a wonderful size. The only way the room could be improved on is if they had a little mini fridge but most people don't need to store gluten-free foods. A small cooler suffices when I don't have that amenity in a room. If you like new, clean boutique type hotels, give Hotel Indigo a try!

2  Thank promopro2
Reviewed March 1, 2010

So this past week my girlfriend and I stayed at the Indigo for a weekend away from everyday life. We chose this hotel due to its proximity to downtown Asheville and because it was rated highly among trip advisor users. We stayed in a room that had a king bed and over looked downtown Ashville, not the interstate side of the hotel. I will agree with previous users about their opinion on the AT&T parking lot outside of the hotel window. The room had modern decor with a few different twists. There was no carpet, but had false hard wood flooring. The bathroom was nice except that I didn't agree with the bathroom door (slotted). The shower was a nice tiled walk in with a teak table for your show belongings. The room did seem to be too bright during the morning due to the fact that our room faced east and the curtains didn't overlap much.

The location couldn't have been better. We had decided before going that we wanted to experience downtown Asheville for everything that it had to offer. We were able to walk to every place and using the map that Indigo provided find places we were looking for.

The complaints that I have is that when our room got serviced house keeping didn't replace our glasses and forgot to replace our towels, but that’s not the biggest problem I had. My girlfriend and I noticed after we had been there for a day that we had developed rashes on our body from the bedding. So we called down to the front desk to talk to someone about it. They said that a manager would call me back soon. After talking with the assistant manager, he agreed to come change the sheets out. Thirty minutes pass with out no contact. I again call the front desk and they knew nothing of the matter. Finally after an hour of waiting someone showed up to replace the sheets. We were preparing to head out for the evening and so we were waiting around. Now mind you I have never broken out in rashes from any other stay at any other hotel. This event was unfortunate in that it affected our stay. During our checkout the front desk tried to smooth things over with a reduction of our bill by 10%.

The fact remains is that we chose this place because of its location to downtown and that it was apart of the upper tier of hotels in Asheville. Because of those cuiteria, I feel as though this hotel did not live up to its potential. If I am paying for a quality stay then that is what I am expecting. Due to that, I would not recommend this hotel to a friend. Not because of the rashes that we encountered, but because I felt as though we did not receive the value we expected.

1  Thank Phillip S
Reviewed February 27, 2010

We come to Asheville on a regular basis. We've stayed at many places; rented cottages, panoramic view room at the Grove Park, a stay at the Biltmore, etc., but our visit and stay at one of the Indigo Condominimums has been the best. The hotel amenities, the condo amenities, the staff, all of it was fabulous. Each room is individualized for a positive atmosphere. The staff couldn't be more friendlier or helpful, the location is centralized for all Asheville activities, restaurants and shopping. And, what makes it even better is that the prices are extremely reasonable. Except for buying a place of our own, whenever we visit Asheville again, The Indigo is where we'll stay. We couldn't have been more pleased.