“Great Surprise” 4 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersGold level
Lawton, Oklahoma
“Great Surprise”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2014

My wife and I booked the hotel for a weekend getaway. When we arrived a bit before early check-in time, we were greeted by an extremely friendly and professional staff from the valet to the front desk. We were informed that our room was not ready, but we would be upgraded to an available room. Normally, this would be code from the front desk to stuff us in any place we would fit. Holy cow, did we get an upgrade! Floor to ceiling windows overlooking the mountains and just enough of the town. Absolutely, one of the best rooms I have ever stayed in. Spacious, clean and quiet; all of the qualities I look for in a room. The view and luxury were bonuses. During our night out I called the concierge and asked to have some flowers and chocolates placed in my room. When we arrived back at the room, I was surprised to see a beautiful bouquet of flowers which included some local varieties. They could have just dropped off the standard roses, but again they went above and beyond. During our stay we had the pleasure of working with the bar staff, wait staff, valets and front desk. If I was stating a new company, these would be employees, I would want on my team.
The hotel is located in a great spot and we were able to walk to everything in downtown. This hotel also has some residences for sale. I would normally not look or consider such a buy, but this stay had me consider such a purchase.
I would love to stay here again. I would recommend this place to any couple on a getaway.

Room Tip: Ask for the upgrade, ours was worth it.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank El_jefe33

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (411)
Washington DC
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2014

My wife and I (mid-30's) spent one night in this hotel over Memorial Day weekend and really don't have much to say other than it was decidedly "average" with a bunch of quirks that were kind of a lame attempt to be trendy. The best part about the hotel is its location which is just a few blocks from all the awesome downtown shops, restaurants and cafes that make Asheville such an interesting town. The bed was also fairly comfortable, the bathroom was great, and it was really clean; all very important components of a hotel stay! The frustrating part to us was the price (it's probably 20% more expensive than comparable hotels in the same vicinity) and the decor. While clearly attempting to be trendy (think the "W" hotels in Manhattan), it, in our mind, completely failed. Instead, the decor in the main lounge bar areas reminded us more of Sesame Street or your child's kindergarten classroom gone horribly wrong. The colors and weird furniture and lighting were all just... well... awful. It's hard for us to describe so all I can say is check it out yourself.

Anyway, there's nothing fundamentally wrong with the hotel. You'll have a nice night's sleep. You're in a great location. It's clean. But why spend more money when you can go a few blocks away and not have to have bad flashbacks from the awful color scheme and decor?

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank travsav
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Indigo Asheville Downtown, responded to this review, June 17, 2014
Dear travsav,

Thank you for staying and taking the time to review our hotel. I am pleased to know that you liked our comfortable rooms and convenient location.

It is regrettable that our decor were not at par with your standards. As for our room rates, we strive to provide a competitive rate in the area. It is not our intent to inconvenient our guests instead provide rate options that make sense. Nevertheless, I have taken note of your comments and shared them with our management for review and consideration.

While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Faith R
Case Manager
IHGCase
High Point, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2014

Without a doubt they have the friendliest and most helpful staff of any hotel I have stayed. Always clean and excellent resturant facility. Also very close to the downtown resturants and entertainment. The view from the room was beautiful. Ready to go back for another visit.

Room Tip: Request a corner room for the best overrall view.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2014

I wanted to love this hotel. I really did. And there are many reasons to love Hotel Indigo: it is very conveniently located in downtown Asheville, it is very pet friendly, the staff are extremely nice, and it is green/eco-friendly. But we did experience a few "bumps in the road" during our visit.

We arrived a little after 3 PM and checked in. The desk staff were very friendly and Mike, the valet, explained the parking policy and whisked our car off to covered parking. We went to our room and unpacked for our three-day stay. When I walked into the bathroom to deposit our toiletries, I noticed there was trash in the bin and, when I closed the door, a dirty towel was hanging on the hook. We realized that the room had been made up, but not turned for a new guest.

On our way out of the hotel for a pre-meal walk and dinner reservation, we stopped at the Front Desk and told them about the room status and asked to have our room cleaned for our stay. I mentioned the trash and the dirty towel specifically and was assured that Housekeeping would be notified.

Three hours later, we returned only to discover that the trash and towel were exactly as we had left them. I returned to the Front Desk and indicated that I was now frustrated -- I don't mind re-using my own sheets and towels, but I do mind using someone else's! I told Brad, the Front Desk clerk, that we would be having a drink at the Bistro bar while he had someone take care of our room.

The bar was a bit like adding insult to injury. I ordered a martini. With great flourish, the bartender presented my drink, which had less than a shot of alcohol in it, didn't even touch the olive on a stick, and cost me more than $11!

Brad came to the bar to apologize again and tell us our room issues had been addressed. When we returned to the room, it had, in fact, been cleaned, the trashcans emptied, and towels replaced.

We did not eat or drink in the Bistro again -- we did try to get coffee when we checked out, but five minutes before opening, no one was in the Bistro and no coffee was available.

Other than the initial hiccup with our room and the disappointing drinks at the Bistro, the Hotel was wonderful. I would be willing to believe our experience was a fluke and try again at a later visit to Asheville.

Green Features: I really appreciated the hotel's eco-friendly practices. I believe one cannot recycle enough and enjoyed the "green" furnishings and decor.
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank MegtheHealer
Raleigh, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2014

My husband and I were on our way to TN and wanted to stay in Asheville for the night. Even though we checked in later than we liked, the front staff greeted us with a warm smile and open arms. They are under construction but I can already tell the end result is going to be beautiful! The room was very spacious, the king size bed was super comfy and the bathroom shower was a dream! I can't wait to go back and hopefully stay longer.

Rock Hill, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2014

I stayed at the Hotel Indigo for a quick getaway on Memorial Day weekend. I had a king room with a standard view, which was fine. Nice city skyline view. I chose the hotel because of their pet policy. I have 2 small dogs and they were with me this trip! They are truly a VERY pet friendly hotel, with water bowls at the front entrance and yummy bones from a local dog bakery. Everyone was super sweet to my puppies! They even give you a listing of the dog friendly restaurants and shops. (The Laughing Seed was fantastic!) Asheville in general is a super dog friendly town. I enjoy taking my puppies with me when I travel and it is so nice to have a great reception throughout the city.

Very close to the hotel is Red Creek Greenway. I took my pups twice for a walk there along the river. Very pleasant walking trail and they can get nice clean mountain water throughout their walk.

I was at the hotel to do some writing and collect thoughts, so used their room service several times. The food is better than most room service hotels with all organic and healthy choices. I went to several other restaurants while I was there and the food at Hotel Indigo was as good or better! Prices were reasonable too!

The staff at the front desk, in the restaurant, the housekeeping and actually everyone you come across are friendly, nice and genuine. I have to say that this hotel has about the nicest staff I have ever encountered. Not over the top nice that makes you uncomfortable, but a genuine, sincere nice.

Very impressed with Hotel Indigo and my next trip to Asheville will be here. A+
Thank you for a wonderful trip to Asheville!

Green Features: Green hotel with lots of recycling, organic food and cage free eggs! yay!
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Louisville, Kentucky
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2014

The Hotel Indego was a great place to stay for two nights in Asheville NC. Convenient to all downtown shops and restaurants. The room was spectacular- big and open with wonderful views.
Unfortunately the lobby was undergoing renovation so I never got to see the lobby. Staff was very helpful and friendly.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family