“Relaxing and well appointed hotel”

Hotel Indigo Asheville Downtown
Ranked #22 of 66 Hotels in Asheville
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed February 17, 2014

My husband and I stayed overnight on February 8th, 2014 while visiting our daughter at UNC Asheville. The hotel is close to the city (a block) and is vibrant with plenty of open area space to visit, dine, etc. We appreciated this element by being able to chat to our daughter in the common areas .The room was immaculate with a huge shower. We also appreciated the complimentary underground parking that allowed us to leave our car in a safe place while we walked into the city and back. Every single one of the staff from the front desk, concierge, manager to those maintaining the hotel were genuinely friendly (no corporate scripts) and helpful. The fact that the staff here care and truly appreciate your business stands out from almost every other hotel we've visited (including higher end brands) in a few years. Asheville is a wonderful city to enjoy and we'll be back.

If there's a drawback it's that this chain accepts pets. While it doesn't bother us in most areas, wereally don't care for it in the dining area for hygienic reasons. That said, we knew this ahead of time and understand it is part of the Indigo brand and so cannot complain.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
Jamie B, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Indigo Asheville Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2014

Thank you for this fabulous review! Our hotel is designed to be intuitive and inviting for our guests, and we are thrilled that you felt at ease. Our team strives to inspire our guests with genuine hospitality. We look forward to serving you on your next visit.

Guest Service Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,596)

Reviewed February 10, 2014

My daughter stayed as a guest of the Asheville Symphony and we joined her the day of the Saturday concert for a most enjoyable stay. What sets Indigo apart is the friendliness of the staff, starting with the valet parking lot attendant and leading to the front desk staff. Never curt, always solicitous and genuinely interested in making one's experience a good one. The lobby is small but well designed, with ample seating to put your feet up after a walk around Asheville. Its location is ideal, with easy access to I-240 and a maximum ten minute walk to restaurants and activities. Our 8th floor room was quiet, although I wonder if the lower floors would be affected by traffic noise from the interstate right below.

Our room was larger than most standard hotel rooms and was well appointed, with an enormous walk-in shower. Our only disappointment was the relatively weak shower spray, which would require a major facility upgrade in water volume/flow. Hallways were bright (when the "green" lighting sensors immediately turned on) and modern and elevators were quick and efficient. The lobby bar/restaurant was a continuation of the front lobby but was never loud. We did not use Indigo's restaurant due to the many offerings within a close walk.

All in all a great stay. Asheville Symphony was a 5 minute walk. We only wish our next stay will be longer.

Room Tip: Higher floors would be best, as well as rooms not directly facing Interstate I-240.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank TUPF
Jamie B, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Indigo Asheville Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded February 14, 2014

Thank you so much for this terrific review. We are delighted that we were able to be your host for such a wonderful visit to Asheville. You will be happy to hear that we are actually planning on upgrading our water pressure this year. We hope to host you on a more leisurely Asheville vacation next time.

Reviewed February 6, 2014 via mobile

First off, I want to thank the reviewers on this site because it made my experience at this hotel even better than it could've been.

This hotel really pays attention to reviews. Some of the negative things that other people experienced were helpful in showing me what to scrutinize in this hotel.

The staff was amazing and helpful, like most have said, and they made us feel really special.

I utilized the concierge services here and they were very flexible in helping to surprise my wife. My arrival time kept changing and they were able to adjust to my changes with ease. I also wanted something special delivered to a place outside of the hotel and they were spot on!

Ok, so the hotel- our room was beautiful! Some people mentioned 901 as a great room and I personally requested it! There were no issues with it other than someone had blocked the fire detector (probably to smoke) before we had the room.

On floor 9, we had no issues with outside sound at all. The view was amazing as well, but I will definitely get floor to ceiling windows next time.

I specifically requested to get a later checkout and they were able to accommodate that request for free, and no one interrupted us by knocking on the door or trying to come in before we were ready to leave!

Once again, the staff was great (thanks Brad), and it really made our weekend go by smoothly.

I thought that the food at the cafe was a little too high but it was very tasty.

I'm really pleased with this establishment and their willingness to be what they're in the business to be- hospitable.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Rom1616

What a phenomenal review! You provide a perfect picture of how we hope to constantly improve and create exciting experiences for our guests. We hope to serve you again, soon!

Reviewed February 5, 2014

We stayed one night before an early morning flight home.
The front desk staff was so helpful and friendly. The hotel and room was VERY clean. The shower was huge, Aveda bath products, and comfy beds. This was a great hotel stay for us, and we would recommend it. My only regret is that we didn't get to spend any time in downtown Asheville, as we checked in so late, with 2 exhausted kids!!

Room Tip: Just ask…they are so happy to help. If I booked again, I would ask for the front side of the hotel...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank travelallover

Thank you for this wonderful review of our boutique hotel! We look forward to hosting you on a longer Asheville vacaction!

Reviewed February 5, 2014

When I checked into the hotel, I was upgraded to a suite because there were no more rooms available. This was a pleasant surprise for my four day stay. On the twelveth floor it was very peaceful and quiet. I enjoyed the fact that the hotel is about a couple blocks away from almost everything in the downtown area. The staff were extremely nice and welcoming. I really enjoyed my stay and would definitely come back to the hotel again.

Room Tip: The mountain view suite was fabulous.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank Kmari78

We are delighted that you enjoyed a relaxing stay in one of our penthouse suites! The panoramic views are simply stunning, any time of year! We so look forward to to hosting you on your next Asheville vacation.

Reviewed February 2, 2014

Nice, chic, modern, well located, moderately priced ($110). Yes, they are part of the Holiday Inn Chain and their key envelopes state that - they shouldn't....this is such a boutique experience rather than a mainstream hotel experience.

Only difficulty was parking - you need to check in before you can get in the garage.

Also, there's not a room service door hangar so you can leave on the room door the night before. you have to call down in the AM to get breakfast.

Great internet, nice property, easy highway access - will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
3  Thank TravelManSouth
Jamie B, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Indigo Asheville Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded February 3, 2014

Thank you for this wondrous review! We appreciate the feedback on our room service door hangers and we are happy to adjust this for future guests. We hope to see you back in Asheville, soon!

Reviewed January 27, 2014

Came in town for a little weekend getaway to relax with friends, left even more stressed out.

Checked in Friday and provided MY photo ID to the Front Desk. Unbeknownst to me, the incompetent front desk associate checked me in under my brother's reservation and not mine. We have the same last name but not the same first name. If he would have actually looked at my ID when he asked for it he would have noticed that we have different first names. I didn't even know that the mixup had even occurred until my brother called me three hours later from the front desk to tell me that they were claiming he'd already checked in. Once my brother suggested that they may have mixed us up, instead of swapping the rooms and information they just gave him my room. No harm no foul up to this point.

My fiancee and I then checked into our room and I noticed the room was oddly chilly. Now mind you Asheville is in the mountains and it snowed there this weekend. We found the window wide open! In the middle of winter! The carpet was stained, the water was either freezing, lukewarm, or scalding, and the water pressure was an absolute disaster. I couldn't even rinse the soap from my body because of the poor water pressure.

On Sunday prior to checkout I was emailed the room folio as I had requested. To my surprise my room folio had my brother's name on it. Wanting to have the correct folio should I need to dispute any of the charges (good thing I asked for it) I explained Friday's debacle to the front desk associate and asked for the correct folio. She seemed confused when I told her that the associate upon check-in didn't take the effort to simply adjust the reservations and stated that because she wanted to award me the proper amount of IHG points. She said it would be no problem and switched the reservations after looking at my check card and printed me the correct folio.

Boy was I surprised when I got to work this morning and checked my bank account. Instead of being charged the two night room rate plus tax total of $286.38 I had two separate holds on my account. One for the original rate, listed above, and one for $386.38 for a total of $672.76. Almost a $700.00 hold on my checking account for two nights at a rate of $129.00 per night. When I called the hotel the girl said there had been a mixup and they had used my card to authorize the charges for both rooms, without my consent!! She only offered to call my bank and have one of the authorizations removed. No compensation for putting my account into overdraft protection!

This was my first time and LAST time at this property. It's a shame I couldn't have given this hotel a better review because the bed's were comfortable, shower's were HUGE, and staff (while incompetent) were very polite. I don't vacation much because I work a lot, so when I do take a weekend away and I'm spending MY hard-earned money, I expect good service.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Paul H
Jamie B, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Indigo Asheville Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2014

I appreciate that you took the time to share your thoughts on your stay with us. I am so sorry there must have been a misunderstanding, when we spoke I did notify you that we reversed the incorrect authorization and compensated you for the overdraft. I am terribly sorry that you did not enjoy a relaxing visit with us and I can only hope your next vacation will offer a better opportunity for rejuvenation.