“Beautiful Hotel - Beautiful City”

Hotel Indigo Asheville Downtown
Ranked #23 of 68 Hotels in Asheville
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed November 13, 2011

Our daughter lives in Asheville and we needed to travel there for an emergency visit. I tried to reserve a hotel we had previously stayed at on Tunnel Road, however, every hotel was booked. I believe it was due to the time of year (Fall). This also meant that rates were very, very high.

We used "hotel points" that we had to stay at the Hotel Indigo in downtown Asheville. The hotel is quite pricey and is typical for a downtown hotel. No matter how quaint Asheville is - parking is a pain. The hotel is very clean - everything is new and very modern. Staff cannot do enough for you. The top few floors of the hotel are reserved for residents and/or time share. We had the top floor of the hotel part. This allowed for a beautiful view. We even saw hot air balloons take off on Saturday morning.

The rooms are somewhat small - but are decorated very nice. No carpeting - I did not like at first, however, seemed much cleaner. Everything in the room worked and the beds were wonderful.

Breakfast was not included at this Holiday Inn property - was available downstairs - however, very expensive. A juice and coffee were almost ten dollars. There is a Keurig in the room.

All in all it was a comfortable place to rest. In walking distance of shops, beautiful old church and easy on and off of the thruway. No pool and a very small work out area. Entertainment on week ends.

Room Tip: High Floor and away from the elevator. Lots of hall noise.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
IndigoInKeeperAVL, General Manager at Hotel Indigo Asheville Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded November 22, 2011

Thank you so much for sharing your experience during your stay with us. We love to hear you enjoyed your time in Asheville. We do have different sized rooms and love for you to stay in some of the other ones in the near future.
Barbara Kulwiec

Write a ReviewReviews (1,619)

Reviewed November 12, 2011

This is a very modern, clean and comfortable hotel. Happiness inducing even. The rooms are large, the bed is super comfortable, the shower is huge and feels very luxurious. I think I liked everything about my stay except the weird experimental DJ in the bar on the last night. The location is great. I didn't pay the full price, which seems a little expensive, if you can get a room for a discount or on a special then I would highly recommend this hotel. Especially for romantic adventures.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Sarah Y
Reviewed November 10, 2011

The hotel is nice, new and modern. The staff was friendly and helpful. It's in a great location for walking to restaurants and shops downtown, but also right next to the freeway. The freeway didn't bother us, but if you are noise sensitive I think just keeping the window closed may be enough.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 10, 2011

We have visited Asheville when the leaves change and for the Craft Fair for the past few years a generally stay at the Grove Park Inn or Crown Plaza. This year we opted for the downtown access provided by Hotel Indigo Asheville Downtown and we are delighted that we did. Several days prior to check in, I called the Consireige and talked to a very enthusiastic and helpful young lady named Jamie Bratcher. I asked Jamie for ideas on a nice and reasonably priced welcome gift for my wife when she entered the room. Jamie had several ideas and then suggested a simple arrangement of cut flowers that she said would probably last several days. They certainly did, Jamie! Are just today admitting they are tired and it has been almost 3 weeks...WOW! Your florist, "Bobby Marks Designs," should be commended for their creativity and ability to provide flowers that they knew would last.

The Hotel Indigo also exceeded our expectations for relaxed and understated yet outstanding ambiance with their diverse evening live entertainment, great food and engaging servers and staff. We normally go out, but, we actually dined with Indigo twice.

We will be back again in October of 2012 (or before) and will stay at Hotel Indigo again. We hope to see Jamie and the Indigo team again soon. If you are in the Asheville area, enjoy the vibrant downtown from the comfort and convenience of the Hotel Indigo Asheville. You will not be dissapointed.

Regards,

Mark & Micki W.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple

Dear Mark and Mickie,
Thank you so much for posting this review. Jamie does an incredible job taking care of our guests and we are so very fortunate to have her on our team! I'm very happy to hear she was able to make your visit to Asheville even more enjoyable. We are looking forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed November 9, 2011

First, Hotel Indigo is new, clean, 'unique decor and the service was good. I had reserved a king room with a view. The room was $339 a night, so I think you probably know in what ballpark my expectations were.

I knew I wasnt staying at the Four Seasons, but had high hopes based on the room rate. First, the area where you pull in to check is so small that you have a very difficult time moving around. It was obvious that some fellow travels left with permanent scars on their vehicle as a result. There is fountain in the center which should have been removed from the blueprint.

The rooms were surprisingly small. Im talking downtown Manhattan or Chicago type small. I had to remind myself, we are in Asheville, NC Only one chair, other than the desk chair, to sit in, in a king room. As the hotel was new, all was clean and functional, the only real standout features were a nice walk in shower and a Keurig coffe maker. Poss. 350sq ft.

I had also paid extra for a room with a view and, yes, I could see the mountains. But, you have to let your eye not pay attention to the power lines, hotel parking lot, older run down buildings and interstate 15 yards away disttract you.

In summary, I would have been writing a positive review had this room cost $150. I would have also been thrilled to pay over $300 if it was worth it. I have stayed in several hotels for that rate and know what to expect. Save your money and go somewhere nice to eat.

Room Tip: Choose a room at half the price, somewhere else. I wondered why I got a room so easy in the fall du...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Nixhex

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with your fellow travelers. I'm sorry to hear you dissapointed with our hotel and its offerings.
We would love to get additional feedback from you how we could have better met your expectations. We are always striving to add additional amenities to make our guests stay more enjoyable.
Please contact me at the hotel directly either by phone at 828-239-0239 or via email at bkulwiec@hlihotels.com. Thank you!

Reviewed November 6, 2011

As I walked to the door, I was greeted by a bellman who asked for my name and offered assistance taking my bags to the room. Check in at the front desk was a breeze and the parking below with an elevator straight to my floor made checking in so easy. The hotel was within walking distance to everything I wanted to see. The room was beautiful and without a doubt the nicest hotel I had ever stayed in. Also the concierge, Jamie, was helpful on two different occasions suggesting a place to eat lunch. It was pretty cold as we settled in, the thermostat read 63 degrees in our room. It would have been nice if they had turned on the heat prior to our arrival. Also there was no mini fridge or bar in the room, a must for a 200 + a night room. We had a corner room with two nice big windows offering a city view. We could hear the interstate traffic at night as we slept, but it wasn't enough to bother us. Although there was a bar and restaurant downstairs, I didn't try it...it seemed a little pricey. They did have live music each night in the bar but the tables filled up fast for dinner. If you're going to Asheville for downtown then this is where you must stay. You can't get any closer. My biggest complaint was that checkout was at 11:00 AM. At 10:10 AM, housekeeping came to our room to clean. It wouldn't have been such a big deal except the day before she didn't come until after 4:00 pm. I hate being rushed out by the house keeping staff. Will stay again even though I think the price is a little inflated. I think you're paying for the convenience of being downtown. Definitely a step up from a holiday inn.

Room Tip: Corner rooms have two windows. The higher the room, the quieter the street traffic.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank jadams679

Thank you so much for your feedback about your recent stay with us. Please accept my apologies for the cold room at your arrival and being disturbed by our housekeeping staff. This is definately not our usual custom and I will address this immediately with our team. We hope to see again soon!

Reviewed November 6, 2011

We stayed at the Indigo for 2 nights in October. The time of year was a great time to visit Asheville, and the scenery was breathtaking. The location of the hotel was perfect for us, within an easy walk to wonderful downtown restaurants and nightlife. We visited the Biltmore and went hiking during the day, but it was great to be back in the downtown area at night and walk to everything. The hotel is near the highway, but we didn't hear any noise unlike some other reviewers. I booked a room with a view, and the view of the mountains was amazing.
The hotel had a great modern feel. The bathrooms were great, with a huge spa-like shower and Aveda bath products. But the best part of the hotel was the staff. The level of service is on par with a 5 star luxury hotel. The concierge was very helpful with directions, restaurant recommendations, and anything else we needed during our stay. For example, I had a headache and asked where I could buy some medicine, and was handed Advil and water free of charge. One night there was an event in the lobby and we were given free drinks as well.
This was my first trip to Asheville, and I fell in love with the city. We hope to return soon, and will definitely stay at the Hotel Indigo.

Room Tip: Book a room with a view.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple