“Horrible Service at Lake Powhatan Asheville NC”

Ranked #87 of 204 things to do in Asheville
More attraction details
Owner description: Located within the Pisgah National Forest, this 6,300-acre area is home to the North Carolina Arboretum.
Reviewed May 27, 2012

I have to say that I was very disappointed in my stay at Lake Powhatan campground in Asheville,NC on 5/25-526/2012

When I arrived and standing in line, a car drove up and was told only one site was left and only available for one night. The person in the car said he would take it and went to park his car. I mentioned to the attendant that I was standing in line prior to the car pulling up and that I would like the site. After discussion with his coworker, they gave me the site.

I asked if any sites would be available for Saturday. I was told to check in at 10:00 AM on Saturday morning. After driving to the store and back I inquired again about Saturday availability on the chance that something might have come open. I was told again that people were scheduled to check out but to check back on Saturday at 10:00 AM.

I checked back in at the main gate around 8:00 AM to play it safe since my family was going to be driving 3 hours for our Memorial Day weekend vacation. I was asked if I was “put on the waiting list” by a different attendant. I told her that I was never told there was a list. She laughed at me and said she did not know that there was a list either. I ended up being 5th on the waiting list but told a huge amount of campers would be leaving and it would be no problem. They would let me know when a site is available but I had to be at my site.
Since no one came to my site by 10 I went to the both again and was told I was now 3rd on the list.

Around 11:00 AM I went to the booth to get change for the drink machine and was told I was next on the list for a site. Great news!
I waited at my current site (19) for another 2 hours. I went back to the attendants at 1 since I had to be checked out by 2:00PM only to find two new attendants. I stood there for a few minutes since it seemed to me that cars trying to go to the beach took precedence over campers that pay a higher price and use the facility 24 hours at a time.

When they finally asked what I wanted, they could not find the list! I was then told to wait until 2PM. Knowing that campers have to renew by 10 A. M., I asked if any non reserved site have not checked out yet. They did not seem happy with what I thought a logical question. After a glance at the list by one of the attendants, I was told that site 64 and 19 had not checked out yet. I let them know site 19 was my current site and that it is a reserved site. This continued display of carelessness by all the attendance alarmed me.

I checked site 64 and it was empty! I went back and told the male attendant and he told me he never said 64 was on the list to be open. The female attendant who DID tell me 64 was to be open said she never said this and that it was reserved for the night already. The reserved dates on the sign at the site read reserved 5/25-5/27/12 like they originally told me and that they might be leaving early.

After not being told about the list, not being communicated with and being treated very unprofessionally by everyone at the campground and waiting around 6 hours; I ended up calling my family for them to turn around.

We have been camping for years now and I have never experienced such bad service in my life. I understand that it was a holiday weekend and that a lot of the people are volunteers but this is still no excuse.

I am always reading how the Cradle of Forestry and the National Forest Service are trying to get more people out and enjoy the land but this is no way to go about it.

14  Thank Sedmb41
All reviews
"mountain biking"
in 9 reviews
"east of the mississippi"
"single track"
in 4 reviews
"river"
"acres"

Reviewed May 5, 2012

The trails in this location are rough, rocky, and uneven. If you are planning to walk or ride a bike, go to the Arboretum next door. Their trails are level and well-kept.

1  Thank 60742Traveler
Reviewed April 17, 2012

Great trails but, print some trail maps as a big one is very hard to use. Beautiful!

1  Thank wharfsuggestion
Reviewed March 29, 2012

We rode our bikes through it and very much enjoyed it.