“Dull atmosphere, surly waiters & mediocre food”
Review of Oriental Pavillion

Oriental Pavillion
Ranked #584 of 800 Restaurants in Asheville
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Delivery
Dining options: Delivery
Reviewed April 3, 2012

Life is too short to waste it here. We've lived in Asheville for quite some time and had never tried this restaurant. What a mistake. The waiters just grunted at us because they didn't want to be there either. The strip mall atmosphere permeates. The food was edible at best.

There are newer reviews for Oriental Pavillion

Reviewed April 2, 2012

I ordered takeout from this place and was not very happy with it. I got chow mein and it didn't have very much flavor, and was a little too soupy for my personal taste. The fried rice was also bland. Very disappointed, would not give it a second try.

Reviewed February 13, 2012

Poultry (chicken) is often where I'm able to tell good vs. fair vs. poor Chinese restaurants. Unfortunately, my last visit contained lots of fatty, dark-meat chicken with a bit of "mystery meat" element to it. This was an order of General Tso's. While this meal was two-star, I've also had 4-star meals here that I'd like to describe. I found the Mongolian Beef (another standard) to be outstanding - a good amount of spice, with plenty of beef, thin peppers and thin onions (lots and lots of onions, but lots and lots of flavor).

Back to Tso, the "spicy" had virtually no spicy to it ... very disappointing. The soups - Hot and Sour for me, Wonton for my wife, were both very good. Not the best-ever, but better than average. Plenty of spice in the Hot and Sour.

I've tried the Moo Shu Pork and also been satisfied. Previous chicken dishes were not nearly as fatty as my last experience ... go for the non-breaded dishes.

Portions are huge. At dinner, you'll pay extra for everything beyond the Entree - soups, egg rolls, whatever. Prices range from 8.95 - 14.95 for duck, etc. Quite reasonable, but the lunch combinations are a steal at the 4.95 - 5.95 range.

Also, delivery is only $1 ... this is a very nice advantage. Finally, I would recommend you order plenty ahead of time. Even at 8:30 (it was a Saturday night, however), we waited about 1 hr, 15 mins. They are about 2 1/2 miles from our apartment.

The people on the phone have always been friendly, they've always gotten the order right and unlike some other Chinese restaurants, you'll have no trouble understanding them (nor will they have trouble understanding you).

1  Thank nathanmedic2003
Reviewed February 9, 2012

We had been looking for a good Chinese restaurant in Asheville since the one near the Asheville mall on the east side of town (that had been there forever) had closed. We went to this based on some online comments and we had great food, reasonably priced, nicely presented. Our server was very friendly and helpful and we will be going back.

Reviewed January 17, 2012

I moved to Asheville four months ago and have been searching for a decent chinese food restaurant since I moved here. I finally turned to trip advisor for help and this was the only place listed. The food wasn't as bad as other places I've tried but it was still mediocre at best. If you want chinese food in Asheville just go to Shogun. It's not much better but it's cheaper and being a buffet gives you a lot of variety. I think I'm giving up on this futile search and will just get japanese when I crave the orient.

1  Thank ashevegas346