“Matt the trolley driver is excellent!”

Gray Line Trolley Tours
Ranked #3 of 62 Tours in Asheville
More attraction details
Owner description: Hop on board one of Gray Line's nostalgic trolleys for a fully narrated journey, highlighting the history, homes and hot-spots of this "city of surprises." Hop-On and hear the story of a city rich in architecture, history and the arts...Hop-Off and experience it's eclectic shops and galleries; its world class culinary and craft brew scenes. It's fun and informative! Join us and see why we are Asheville's Most Sightseeing Tour!
Rockford, Illinois
“Matt the trolley driver is excellent!”
Reviewed December 21, 2013

Took the Gray Line Trolley tour of Asheville, NC and was vastly entertained. Matt the driver was full of knowledge and historical data, it was fascinating, and I came away with a real understanding and appreciation of Asheville. When I come back (and I will), I'll ask for him by name....he's great and the trolley was fun!

Visited December 2013

Greenville, South Carolina
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Corny jokes”
Reviewed December 18, 2013

The reviews I read were good but I was disappointed. I thought Uncle Ted was a bit corny with his jokes and way too loud. It was informative but I tried to tune him out after a while. I will say they ran on time until we got delayed by a wreck. That was not the trolley's fault and no one can fault them for getting behind in time. Anyway, it was at the end of the trip so didn't make a difference. The tour was good for a second day but I just couldn't make myself get on and hear those stories again. The tour would definitely be better in the summer months when it runs more often.

Visited December 2013
Crystal Lake
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Do it first!”
Reviewed December 13, 2013

I had done a LOT of web research (including but not limited to scouring the Trip Advisor reviews) prior to our Asheville visit. No matter how much text you read or photos you view, it can't compare with seeing things for yourself. And living in midwest flatland, I had no way to prepare myself for the interesting mix of terrain in this mountain city. So it was important to take an orienting tour of Asheville via a trolley tour. There are two competing trolley companies; I chose Gray Line (with red vehicles, confusing as it may sound, it wasn't) because their frequency was a bit better. We cruised into Asheville and went straight to the visitor's center to take our tour (and then later returned to browse the visitor's center to pick up some brochures) - even prior to checking into our hotel! The driver (whose name I unfortunately forgot) was knowledgeable and entertaining. It was well worth getting a good look at the city's main attractions and general "lay of the land" right from the start. And as our itinerary was ovwerly ambitious and we didn't get to visit some attractions on our list, it was good that we learned about them, e.g. the Thomas Wolfe house, Basilica of St Lawrence, from the driver.

1 Thank Stan P
Knoxville, Tennessee
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A fun and informative tour of Asheville, NC”
Reviewed December 4, 2013

We toured Asheville on the Gray Line Trolley. It was an excellent experience all around. Easy to find, schedule and purchase tickets in an attractive Visitor Center near downtown. We had "Uncle Ted" White as our driver and tour guide. He was informative, very friendly and hilarious!

The tour itself was quite complete as far as showing us the sights, and allowed us to decide areas to which we wanted to return for more extensive exploration.

1 Thank Howard F
Durham, North Carolina
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Making the Most with Matt”
Reviewed December 3, 2013

My husband and I enjoyed our time on the red trolley. Matt was our energetic and humorous driver for 8 of the 10 stops. He makes getting around town easy (got off to eat lunch and shop downtown for a couple hours as well as stopped at the arts district for a couple hours to explore the various studios). This is a great way to learn about the history of Asheville!

2 Thank JulialovesMocha