“Good overview of Asheville”

Gray Line Trolley Tours
Ranked #3 of 62 Tours in Asheville
More attraction details
Owner description: Hop on board one of Gray Line's nostalgic trolleys for a fully narrated journey, highlighting the history, homes and hot-spots of this "city of surprises." Hop-On and hear the story of a city rich in architecture, history and the arts...Hop-Off and experience it's eclectic shops and galleries; its world class culinary and craft brew scenes. It's fun and informative! Join us and see why we are Asheville's Most Sightseeing Tour!
Texas
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Good overview of Asheville”
Reviewed October 18, 2011

Very easy. Senior discount. We were the second one in the morning and people wanting to reboard were out of luck. Yes it was 1.5 hrs or so but we learned so much. A definite yes.

Gaithersburg, Maryland
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Best Way to start your visit of Asheville”
Reviewed October 17, 2011

We have taken the Red Trolley for two days and met Mary, Denise, Uncle Ted & Bill as our tour guides on the trolley's. There are 9 different stops on the tour and you can get off and on all day.

Visited October 2011
Wilmington, North Carolina
“Trolley tour”
Reviewed October 13, 2011

My friend and I enjoy taking Trolley Tours when we visit a place to get an overview and we don't have to drive. The Gray Line Tour was fun and informatiive and the guide was a hoot! It's a great way to plan your visit depending on your interest and hop on and off for a couple of days. It's good to get it from a local.

Visited October 2011
New York City, New York
64 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 225 helpful votes
“Very nice but LONG tour”
Reviewed October 2, 2011

This was an informative tour. Our guide was a wonderful narrator and VERY personable. We found out that we are supposed to tip him on top of paying the $20 fee ($40 for two of us), when he worked it into his narrative, "I'm saving all my tips to buy a home like this!" But, he did say it with humor and a smile.
My husband and I saw some lovely homes and learned alot about Asheville. However, be prepared to sit for approximately an hour and a half. It was nice but it was far too long for me and my attention wandered for the last half hour. I found myself wanting to raise my hand and ask when it would be over!! (I didn't, of course!) I felt that some "time killers" should have been eliminated from the tour.
IMPORTANT TIP: Show your AAA card and get a $2 discount (you can use that for the tip :)

Visited September 2011
2 Thank gram777
Fort Myers, Florida
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 50 helpful votes
“They should pay tourists to take the tour...”
Reviewed September 29, 2011

I felt that half the trip was a commercial for local businesses. The local franchised fudge shop just happens to be on the route of the trolley and just happens to be our driver's FAVORITE fudge shop. And they just happened to give the driver samples of their fudge for all the riders to try. Wow! What luck! And we just happened to pass the 3 best BBQ joints in town. What are the chances? And our driver's band just happens to have CDs for sale in the visitor center? Give me a break! Granted, there was a good bit of history on the tour, but it's not always objective. For example, our guide was very proud that the tobacco companies had built hospitals and universities in NC. He made it known that he was offended if, as one previous rider had, anyone suggested that perhaps the companies should have done so given what their industry has done to the health of the general public.

Our guide made a big deal of getting us to the Biltmore Village so we could hear the "perfect pitch" of the bells ringing at All Souls Church. He claimed the bells were designed ~100 years ago and are still in perfect pitch. He even turned the trolley off so we could hear the sound. However, the church's own website says the first bell wasn't installed until 1977 and the original bell is only rung on Sundays. What we heard were automated bells added in 1998. Makes me wonder what other stories are not entirely true...

Given the amount of advertising done on the tour, I felt like the trolley ride should cost a lot less or even be provided for free by the local businesses who are promoted during the tour. The seats are not comfortable and the sound system can't compete when all the windows are open. And be sure to read the negative reviews of the River Arts District before getting dropped off there!

Visited September 2011