“Amazing Reincarnation”
Review of Cafe Azalea - CLOSED

Cafe Azalea
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Cafe Azalea has been bringing casual farm-to-table dining to East Asheville since 2007. We support local agriculture and sustainable husbandry and fisheries while providing our guests with innovative culinary creations, warm, gracious service and affordable wines, microbrews and cocktails in an intimate, inviting setting. Come try the fresh local difference.
Hendersonville, North Carolina
“Amazing Reincarnation”
Reviewed March 8, 2014

I was glad to "rediscover" this restaurant under the new ownership and able leadership of chef Kris Dietrich. The food and service is worlds above its former incarnation.

Every meal I have had here has been excellent. Special kudos the mushroom soup--and I am not really a "soup guy."

The wine list is well chosen and has some excellent values. The wine-and-food paired dinner recently attended was the best themed dinner I have ever experienced. The food was superb and made even better by expertly chosen wines. Keep up the great work, Kris.

"I'll be back!"

• Visited March 2014
2 Thank Scott V

Asheville, North Carolina
“Up-Scale Food and Presentation at Neighborhood Bistro Prices”
Reviewed March 1, 2014

I have eaten here over a dozen times in the past 3 months. This included two custom wine-themed dinners, regular-menu dinners, lunches and a brunch. (I rediscovered it belatedly because the current owner/chef -- Kris Dietrich --did not change the name when he took it over.) What an amazing turnaround he and his staff have accomplished! The meals are now both highly enjoyable in taste and presentation on an absolute scale, and a stunning bargain on a value scale. Portions are large, service is attentive, and the presentation looks like offerings at notably-higher-priced eating spots in the Asheville area.

A specific example of value: here you get 3 generous sliders with fries for about the same price as 2 smaller sliders w/o fries elsewhere.

Chef Kris has a real knack for mating seemingly-incompatible ingredients -- such as salmon and bacon in a BLT -- by "binding" them with a sauce of his own creation. Specials should always be considered before jumping to the regular menu, at both lunch and dinner. And I second another reviewer's rave for the mushroom soup .. but the tomato-bacon soup is almost as good.

Another plus is a very reasonably-priced and well-chosen wine list, which is a weakness at too many other local places. Of the 7 or 8 wines I've tried here, I would gladly order all but one again.

My experience at the wine dinners, especially the French-themed event, was of a notably better-matched list of wines and foods than I've encountered at too many other such. I will be back often, and will bring visiting friends here too,

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“amazing food and service”
Reviewed February 19, 2014

I had an amazing dinner of the mushroom soup with truffle oil and entree of chicken with borsin cheese. It was all delicious!! I finished with the Chocolate Torte which is a chocolate lovers dream. I recommend this restaurant to any foodie or comfort food lover!

1 Thank JamieV76
“Brunch”
Reviewed February 14, 2014

Cafe Azalea is a little hidden gem in Asheville. They offer a wonderful Sunday brunch menu with great specials. I've had their Lobster Omelette which I can only describe as succulent, generous and fresh! It included a salad, grits or home fries( I had the grits, which was a meal in itself) and biscuit or toast, I had the biscuit. I've also had their quiche of the day...which had andouille sausage, tomatoes, onion and manchego cheese. I got the home fries this time. Delicious! Most of my experiences with quiche tend to be dried out and super firm. Not theirs! Fresh and fluffy! I am not a regular coffee drinker and no barista by any means but I am a fan of their coffee... I need to find out what it is. Very nice, clean, atmosphere. Service was awesome!

• Visited January 2014
“food excellent, but”
Reviewed February 8, 2014

Lunch was excellent, waitress was all alone; yet managed to keep the place
happy. The chef worked alone, as well, and for a restaurant with some 30 people at 8 odd tables was quite remarkable. The BLT was on a roll like a hoagy and the bacon was thick and tasty. My partner had a Quesadilla with chicken that made my partner superbly satisfied. The "but" because the men's room, though clean simply had no warm/hot water! When I check out a restaurant I want to see at least a 95% rating from the state and hot water in the rest rooms--why? what happens when the staff has to wait for hot water?

2 Thank shanadad
Kris D, Owner at Cafe Azalea, responded to this review, February 17, 2014
Thanks for the kind review, I wanted to let you know with the very cold weather we have had our pipes were having trouble. The pipes have been re insulated and the hot water issues is resolved..

Thanks