“Don't bother - there are much better Italian restaurants in town”
Review of Modesto

Modesto
Reserve with OpenTable
Modesto is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #125 of 809 Restaurants in Asheville
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown Asheville
Cross street: Battery Park Ave
Reviewed October 30, 2012

We went here after a long day of driving and wish we had gone someplace else. I was not very hungry, so I ordered 2 appetizers - the tomato basil cream soup and the eggplant involtini. My husband tried to order a beer - first a Stella Artois, then a Peroni. After each request, the waiter returned to tell us they were out of it. So, he tried to order a glass of red wine - out of that, too. So, finally he found a red wine they did have, but it was nothing special.

My soup was good, but the eggplant involtini was so salty, I could not eat it. I took 2 bites. When I mentioned to the waiter that it was too salty to eat, he said, "I know, the chef likes it that way". No offer to take it off the bill, which he should have.

My husband had one of the salmon dishes . OK, nothing special.

We were sitting outside and the hostess was hawking the menu to every person that walked by. If the food was good, she wouldn't have to do that.

We left after my husband finished his meal. On the way back to the place we were staying, I started to feel ill. I barely made it to our room and promptly got sick in a most unpleasant way. I would never eat at this place again.

1  Thank txtravelgrl

Reviewed October 27, 2012

I also stumbled across Modesto while walking around the Grove Arcade area. It has an excellent wine by the glass, and I selected Chianti, and was not disappointed. For lunch I had the Apple Farm Bolegnese. It was delicious! The portion was perfect for lunch.

Reviewed October 15, 2012

The service was good and the waitress was more than accomidating but three things I ordered from beverages to food they were out of. The food was very good though.

Reviewed October 14, 2012

While meandering around Asheville looking for dinner, we stumbled upon Modesto. I love a restaurant that looks busy and inviting so we glanced at the menu and marched in. Rarely do I not know what to order because, being a picky eater, I can narrow down my choices rather quickly. Modesto, on the other hand, had a fabulous selection. I ordered a delicious wine from our very knowledgeable waiter while he enthusiastically described many of the offerings for the evening. Grilled romaine, swordfish meatballs and a pork osso buco were the selections we chose. Wow. Delicious and filling. On top of that the staff was warm, friendly and chatty. A wonderful choice for our one dinner in this interesting town.

Reviewed October 13, 2012

The food was delicious. We had the NC Crabcake and y husband had the lamb burgers. Both were a perfect portion size for lunch. The service was quick and the server attentive. It was a busy Saturday in October so we were very happy with the service.