“Rare disappointments, excellent overall”
Review of Creme Patisserie Confectionery - CLOSED

Creme Patisserie Confectionery
Reviewed April 8, 2010

SWEET: French style pastries found here, which is to say, most are less sweet and richer in butter than typical American style. Our favorites include the chocolate eclairs, the Pin Stripe Cake, blackberry tartlets, the crumb cake, and the rugelach. For Valentine's day they made dark chocolate covered caramels that made us swoon.

SAVORY: Their baguette (they call it the Pane Siciliano) is the best French bread in Asheville. So many artisan bakeries in the area have all or nearly all sourdough breads in the repertoire; I don't favor sourdough breads, and Crême's are not sourdough breads. Many love the soft pretzel served with a spicy mustard. I find the foccaccia WAY too salty, and a few other of their breads (even the challah) somewhat too salty.

LUNCH: There is a single offering of a Brie plate which is very nice, but it's on the pricey and sophisticated side, so don't try it for a kid!

ATMO: The seating area is spacious, with large windows. There is one very big table and 5 or 6 little ones, and a comfy armchair...maybe two, not sure.

BEVERAGE: High quality locally roasted organic coffee is dispensed by self-service from vacuum push containers. When it's hot it's truly luscious, but on two occasions in late afternoon, it was not hot enough. There is a limited selection of other drinks in the cooler: mineral water, a few others.

1  Thank Amateuse

Reviewed July 22, 2009

My family stopped in to Creme after a camping trip and absolutely loved what we bought. Cookies, pastries, breads (esp the semolina!) were wonderful. We will make it a regular stop on our visits. The owner was lovely.

1  Thank MamaBev
Reviewed April 7, 2009

I purchased a Foccaccia. It was just terrible. It was crumbly and had none of the wonderful sponginess that a Foccaccia should have.

I really can't understand how so many reviewers think their baked goods are so wonderful, although I have not had any of their pastries. However, given the serious inferiority of their bread, I would never try their pastry.

Reviewed February 13, 2009

Want to add to my earlier review. I went back and bought a challah. It was amazing. Had true substance to it--not cottony. And it even got better over the week I had it. It is quite large and over $4 a loaf, but worth every penny. I also bought a pretzel bun which was yummy. They gave me a small cup of a local mustard. A little too strong for my tatte.

Reviewed February 11, 2009

Creme is for the serious baked good and confection connoisseur. I've had several of their cakes, breads, cookies, and pastries. Without a doubt I can say everything has been amazing. It is evident that the owners put a lot of hard work and expertise in the creation of their product. Items include interesting and thoughtful combinations of ingredients that extend far beyond the typical bakery fare. I highly recommend you stop in to try some treats if you are in the area.