“Great food in surprising venue”
Review of The Admiral

The Admiral
Reserve with OpenTable
The Admiral is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #8 of 792 Restaurants in Asheville
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Michigan Avenue
Atlanta, GA
“Great food in surprising venue”
Reviewed June 29, 2009

It's a very unassuming building – a tiny little dive. You would never associate the place with the menu. My friend and I split a salad – baby arugula with granny smith apples and Cypress Grove Humboldt Farm cheese (a blue cheese). Excellent, fresh, just the right amount of flavorful dressing. I ordered a small plate: red snapper with fried green tomatoes, pea tendrils and basil mayonnaise. The snapper was a good sized piece of fish but nothing special at all; the tomatoes were delicious – crispy outside, sweet inside; the pea tendrils (I’d never had them before) sweet and fresh too, and the basil mayonnaise was light – not heavy at all. My friend got the Bangers and Mash: wild boar sausage, mashed root vegetables and merlot demiglace. I am not a big sausage fan, but these were absolutely wonderful. A very sweet flavor and not fatty or greasy. All were very reasonable – salad was $6, small plate of fish was $10, bangers and mash $15. Because the salad and entrees were so good I’m reluctant to mention the two big problems. First, the service was veru inattentive. After our waitress brought us the salad, we didn’t see her until the very end of the meal when she took the entrée plates away; someone else had brought the entrees, and no one came by to ask if they were okay after we’d started eating. I didn't expect the same kind of service as at a posh restaurant; however, since no one came by after we go the entrees we didn’t get to order a second glass of beer/wine. The second thing was the dessert. Part of my disappointment could have been that they were out of the chocolate cake I had my heart set on. I got the strawberry cake instead. As opposed to the entrees, the cake was really lacking in presentation: just a piece of cake lying on a plate. I prefer substance over style, but it was very disappointing and anticlimactic compared to the rest of the meal. The cake itself was just okay – it had a good strawberry flavor and somewhat dense texture. The waitress told us the cakes are made from local natural ingredients by someone else. At $6 or $7 (can’t remember which) it seemed overpriced for what it was. I’d still recommend the restaurant, but definitely not the dessert.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Great small plate selections, menu changes weekly”
Reviewed May 1, 2009

Great small plate selections, menu changes weekly

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Guelph, Ontario
“great food”
Reviewed April 27, 2009

we went to the "Admiral" and had an amazing full of favour meal - I had the salad which was very different but very good. Then I had the salmon dish which was very good especially the rice or what it was very good.. My friend had the very favorable burger.

Our server Kim helped make our visit very enjoyable and she was so informatative about every dish on the menu - she was a pleasure.

I would not be afraid of trying anything on the very different but exciting menu - I think I was eating out of "Food and Drink"

Very nice dining experiance.

1 Thank goldenboy1947
Asheville, NC
“Not Your Typical Bar Food”
Reviewed November 8, 2008

The Admiral in west Asheville looks like your normal neighborhood bar. A nice patio on the side gives it a step up from ordinary. Go inside and it will look typical of a neighborhood joint. But then sit down and take a look at the menu! Incredible offerings that are not your normal wings and burgers found in most bars. "Small plates" included venison and quail. We had 2 "Large plates". Bangers and Mash and Salmon. The bangers were wild boar sausage and the mash was mashed root vegetables, unbelievably good. My salmon had a glaze on it and cooked just right. The choices on the menu made us want to order everything so we will be frequenting this place often.
FYI: I hear Sunday brunch is amazing!

1 Thank AshevilleJJ