“Great Bar and Fantastic Food”
Review of The Admiral

The Admiral
Reserve with OpenTable
The Admiral is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #8 of 792 Restaurants in Asheville
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Michigan Avenue
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great Bar and Fantastic Food”
Reviewed August 20, 2013

Sat at the bar on a Sunday night. We had a wonderful meal. The mussels were fantastic. My wife had the shrimp. The mixed drinks were excellent. It is a small restaurant with an eclectic atmosphere. Despite reviews to the contrary, the hostess was very kind and straight up with us about seating. Bars are always first come first serve. The kitchen appears to be very well run. Simply put, these people know what they are doing. Very fair prices. This would have been one of the better meals i have ever had in a restaurant but i wasn't very hungry when i arrived and only ordered an appetizer. If i could choose any restaurant in Asheville to go to tonight, it would be The Admiral.

Florida
“Dear Admiral, The customers you want, they "Get It"!”
Reviewed August 19, 2013

To start, if you don't like this restaurant then you just don't get it. Reading past reviews I am in shock that people could be disappointed, then I read they have issues with signs, parking, decor, and wait times. First of all I loved every inch of this place just the way it was. Funny old chairs, souped up bar turned restaurant vibe, parking down the street and walking to the restaurant. I had made a reservation in advance so no problem we were seated immediately just like all the others that did not wait because they too had made a reservation. Our waitress was spot on with drinks and food. We did not feel pressure to hurry our meal and in fact ordered almost the whole menu ! Mussels were divine, every last drop of rich tomato broth, the steamed green tea buns with pork belly were soft and squishy filled with fresh ginger, fried quail, potato salad and compressed watermelon , perfect southern combo, roasted duck with poblano peppers..... I could keep going. We ordered so much food, never finished a complete dish, but as avid food lovers we wanted to try as many creations as possible. I love this place, I respect this kitchens efforts, I know how challenging it is to execute this type of food day after day while still keeping it fresh and innovative. Your doing a great job at The Admiral, don't change a thing !

• Visited July 2013
alexandria, va
“Asheville's best.”
Reviewed August 18, 2013

We visited here for our anniversary while in Asheville and needless to say we were not disappointed. Every course was great or at least very interesting and the cocktails were really well made. The highlights were the beef tartare and the sweetbreads, both were some of the best dishes I have ever had. The ribeye was also very good and the basil ice cream was a nice finish. Overall a great experience, just make sure to get reservations well in advance as they tend to book up pretty quickly.

Glasgow, Kentucky, United States
“Probably not for Tourists”
Reviewed August 15, 2013

We had read good reviews on here about this spot and wanted to go. We arrived around 7:30 and figured we would have to wait. First of all the place is difficult to find because there wasn't a sign anywhere except for the side of the building which was the entrance. We also had to park on the side of the street, which I didn't like that much either. We walked in and were greeted by a host, and was told the wait would be at least an hour and a half. I asked if we could sit on the patio before the entrance and she said we could but servers did not come to the patio. That was a huge disappointment considering that would keep us from having to wait. I hate to say it, but I doubt I will return here on my next visit to Asheville.

3 Thank Cody M
Belvidere, Illinois
“Can't judge a book by the cover”
Reviewed August 12, 2013

We read all the reviews and glad we did. Had we just drove by, we may not have stopped. This cinder block building is a gem. Walk inside and they look is what you would expect with the menu they have. We loved the crab ravioli with the brown butter sauce, the oysters were ok the espuma was a little salty. The entree's shined! We had the Rack of Lamb with Rosemary Mashed Potato, Braised Local Kale, Crispy Potato Skin, and Chimichurri and I wanted the Seared Scallops but they were served with a lima bean corn Succotash, (not being a lima bean fan I asked for a substitute). They gladly served me a delightful plate with Lemon & Herbs Purple Potatoes, Asparagus Haricot Verts, and Lemon Crème Fraiche. Wonderful service, and food!

• Visited July 2013