“Probably not for Tourists”
Review of The Admiral

The Admiral
Reserve with OpenTable
The Admiral is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #8 of 811 Restaurants in Asheville
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Michigan Avenue
Reviewed August 15, 2013

We had read good reviews on here about this spot and wanted to go. We arrived around 7:30 and figured we would have to wait. First of all the place is difficult to find because there wasn't a sign anywhere except for the side of the building which was the entrance. We also had to park on the side of the street, which I didn't like that much either. We walked in and were greeted by a host, and was told the wait would be at least an hour and a half. I asked if we could sit on the patio before the entrance and she said we could but servers did not come to the patio. That was a huge disappointment considering that would keep us from having to wait. I hate to say it, but I doubt I will return here on my next visit to Asheville.

3  Thank Cody M

Reviewed August 12, 2013

We read all the reviews and glad we did. Had we just drove by, we may not have stopped. This cinder block building is a gem. Walk inside and they look is what you would expect with the menu they have. We loved the crab ravioli with the brown butter sauce, the oysters were ok the espuma was a little salty. The entree's shined! We had the Rack of Lamb with Rosemary Mashed Potato, Braised Local Kale, Crispy Potato Skin, and Chimichurri and I wanted the Seared Scallops but they were served with a lima bean corn Succotash, (not being a lima bean fan I asked for a substitute). They gladly served me a delightful plate with Lemon & Herbs Purple Potatoes, Asparagus Haricot Verts, and Lemon Crème Fraiche. Wonderful service, and food!

Reviewed August 11, 2013

I am one of those suckers who after hearing hype over and over, I have to go. Everyone says this is the best place to eat in Asheville..... Not even close. I will say the steak is on point. Really good. But, it's one of those places where bread is extra. Salad is overpriced and artsy fartsy done up. The oysters absolutely sucked. My fault for ordering them in Asheville, but ya know.

It's in a dive bar. Ambience is nothing really nice. I guess that's the point. There are so many other places in Asheville that has a better feeling and has better food.

Worth a try if you want a steak....but don't prepare yourself for a foodgasm like everyone will tell you.

1  Thank bozogoot
Reviewed August 7, 2013

Maybe we were there on an "off" night, but my personal experience with The Admiral did not match the raves I had heard been hearing. To be sure, it's located in a "dive" building, not a great part of West Asheville, which in general, is a good place. The food was so average, the menu was so limited. They put BBQ sauce on mussels, for gosh sakes! Maybe I'll go again, just to see if my experience was the exception instead of the rule, but I'll check the menu first before I go again. You MUST have a reservation - like I said, people rave about this place.

Reviewed August 4, 2013

On a recent trip to Asheville to visit friends we were lucky enough to snag a table at The Admiral. I have been hearing about how awesome this restaurant is for quite some time and it's quite hard to get a table on the weekends.

The Admiral did not disappoint! Each course was a delight. We cannot stop talking about the 64* celsius egg. It was like butter melting in your mouth! Beef Tartare - never thought I would like it - I'm sold!

My husband ordered the duck confit - it was art on a plate. Each meal was a feast for the eyes and the stomach.