“Real Italian food (do not expect italo-american)”
Review of Cucina 24

Cucina 24
Reserve with OpenTable
Cucina 24 is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #91 of 832 Restaurants in Asheville
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Otis Street
Description: Chef & owner Brian Canipelli opened Cucina 24 in 2008 on Wall Street in the center of downtown Asheville, NC. Our kitchen is focused on melding the traditions and philosophies of Italian cookery with ingredients found in the mountains of the American South. We work closely with a number of area farms and our menus reflect produce that they bring to us.
Reviewed September 12, 2011

We have been at Cucina 24 several time, and it has always lived up to my expectation. Let me preface by saying that I am Italian and moved to the US about 13 years ago, and I still loathe having Italo-american food being called 'real Italian'. Well, Cucina 24 is the best, truest "real Italian' food I have had (save of eating in NYC or DC). So, do not expect a side of past with your meat. Here, you start with antipasti (appetizers) for which you can actually mix and match several basic types, then can go with a primo (pasta course) and /or secondo (meat or fish) - both are usually too much for me, so I usually go with and antipasto and either a primo or a secondo. Plates are abundant, but a bit more European size than typical American (that is, you cannot feed a family of 4 with one dish!) The menu changes according to the season and the ingredients available; a couple of dishes that were truly memorable have been the seafood risotto and the burrata (a type of cheese that resembles mozzarella, but is even creamier and richer... this is the first place where I have seen it in the US). I am always curious about trying their pizza (they have a wood burning oven) but have not so far. Desserts are also quite delicious - although my favorite remains the classic affogato (espresso poured hot on home-made ice cream). If you go, I recommend reserving a table ahead of time - I have used OpenTable before and it worked very wall, with no wait time at all once at the restaurant.

1  Thank Galadriel72

Reviewed August 1, 2011

Looking around for some decent food (and AC) during Bele Chere and happened across Cucina24. We checked out the menu and decided to give it a shot- at 8pm on a Saturday night we were seated pretty quickly with no reservation. The service was prompt and above average - the waiter was chatty and friendly- and the dining room was serene after the madness of Bele Chere. Ordered the antipasti which are a interesting list that can be mixed and matched at three for 14.00- the portions were not huge but perfect for just a little bite before dinner. We had the calves liver crostini, chickpeas with lemon oil (delicious!) and grilled mortadella. I was really surprised at the quality and taste for the price. For main courses we had the truffled mushroom pizza and the chittara carbonara. Both were excellent. There is a wood burning pizza oven so the pizza crust was just right. For wine we tried the rosato- I am normally skeptical about any non French rose but it was delightful and perfect after the heat of the day. We were pleased to have eaten so well for less than 75.00 (not including tip). Asheville has a ton of great places to eat- this one ranks right up there. Can't wait to go back when the crowds die down.

Reviewed July 22, 2011

We loved the food and the wine.
We tried the beet salad, very very good.
The suckling pig dish was superb, it really surprised us.
The lamb shank was one of the best I have ever tried; I grew up eating lamb more than beef, and I know what a good lamb should taste like. This lamb shank passed the test big time.
A quick note, the wine by the glass were mediocre, you will find a better selection by the bottle list.
The service is just OK. This establishment is not an upscale one; although someone may claim it as fine dinning (It is true if you are talking about food).
I highly recommend it if you are in Asheville area, a nice quite dinning experience.

1  Thank TOURtheWORLDMexPal
Reviewed June 13, 2011

We ate here because of a family recommendation and we had just come home from a 2 week vacation in Italy. We thought this would be a nice splurge.

I had the goat cheese pizza, my husband the mushroom pasta and we had asparagus.
Food was heavily over salted. The pasta was tasteless, pizza uninteresting.

Reviewed June 11, 2011

We went here for our anniversary. This has got to be the best Asheville has to offer; so for Asheville, I give it 5 stars (it would probably be a 4 star restaurant in Atlanta, where we are from). We’re very pleased we had our anniversary dinner here. I had a scallop dish that was very light (no pasta). The food, wine, and service were all terrific. This restaurant is about 50 yards from the Haywood Park Hotel, where we were staying. Very convenient.The next night, we ate at Fig Bistro in the Biltmore Village which was also very good (4 stars).