“Will be back in a heart beat”

Pinecrest Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #2 of 39 Asheville B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 6, 2014

My wife & I were fortunate to have heard about Pinecrest B&B from a neighbor. We were visiting Asheville for the 1st time to do some tandem bicycling on the Blue Ridge and explore the city & Biltmore estate. We stayed in the Thomas Wolfe room & would do so again--large, beautifully decorated, & great bedding. Janna & Stacy catered to are every needs, along with serving fantastic breakfasts, afternoon snack, & always available beverages. My favorite time was early in the AM when I came down to have an early coffee in the 4 season room--I could permanently live in that room--great view of the gorgeous grounds & birds feeding at eye level. We walked to downtown almost every evening to some great dining spots and made sure we changed our routes because every street has different architecture that you have to see. We made great friends at the breakfast table & no one was fast to leave. Bottomline: We loved Pinecrest B&B and will definitely be back.

Room Tip: We loved the Thomas Wolfe, but each has it's own personality. You can't go wrong with any

Reviewed May 6, 2014

My wife and I had the opportunity to spend two nights at Pincrest to celebrate our wedding anniversary. I honestly cannot speak highly enough of our stay. The home was beautiful and immaculate. Janna and Stacy could not have been more welcoming and gracious hosts. They went above and beyond to make our stay memorable knowing it was our 10th Anniversary. The food was fantastic and plentiful. I am not to sure about the review below but it is not representative of our stay at all. In fact we met a couple that keeps coming back because the B&B is fantastic. There is no question that my wife and I will be back. I would HIGHLY recomend Pinecrest to anyone visiting Asheville.

Reviewed May 4, 2014

Reading the below review is COMPLETELY surprising and nit picky. I did not have this experience at all. My sister and I came to Asheville to spend a sister weekend together. We were welcomed with open arms and a chocolate cake that was being iced upon arrival (who doesn't love cake?!). Janna was extremely helpful in recommending restaurants and things to do and was so sweet! She made us feel right at home! I cannot say enough about the sheets on our bed in the Thomas Wolfe room. They were AMAZING and I will be dreaming about them. The meals for breakfast were delicious. We were able to socialize with the other guests as well as Janna and Stacy, who were so accommodating! I had the best experience and would recommend this to anyone. Our experience was perfect and we felt like we were at a home away from home. I would love to come back!

Room Tip: Thomas Wolfe sheets are AMAZING!
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed May 1, 2014

Went on a recent trip to Asheville with husband in April. We stayed at the Pinecrest in the Thomas Wolfe room. The room was on the second floor away from the other upstairs rooms. It was spotless and decorated very well. The walk in closet was very big. Janna was just getting back from the store when we arrived. She seemed a little frazzled. Not really ready for us to check in.( Check in is at 3:00 it was 3:15ish.) Her daughter was not there during our stay for most of the time (I saw her for 2 min. one day). Janna was pretty much on her own.Another couple arrived a few minutes after us. They were returning customers so she asked the to wait on the porch while she showed us around. She graciously showed us around the house and answered any questions we had. There is a little glassed in porch where guests can have tea or coffee, wine or some other non alcoholic drink from frig. We found there was a white and red that were from a local Italian restaurant. It was OK,have had better. We met another couple from Fl. one afternoon who were very nice.We were able to sit and have drinks with them one evening on the porch. Breakfast was served at 9:00. I guess for most people this is good but we are early risers. Nothing to nibble on if you get up at 6! Kureg coffee maker for hubby available but there was only one tea k-cup left for my choice. An electric tea pot would be great for us tea drinkers. Janna made hot water later in the morning for me and found some tea bags to my liking. My husband found the dirty wine glasses and plates for evening sweet treat still out at 6:30 am. Not really pleasant to find dirty dishes still out from the prior day. The breakfast was good and Janna was nice to keep my husbands allergy in mind when cooking. We really appreciated that thoughtful touch. Breakfast consisted of 1 slice of banana bread, juice,coffee,tea, a fruit cup, egg strata,a piece of country ham and sliced tomato. It was served on the plate to each guest by Janna's lovely granddaughter. There were no seconds offered. We have stayed at other B&B's where the food is on a side board and you serve yourself Or the owners ask if anyone would like more. We do not eat a lot but by 9:00 we were starving! Another thing, if guests want to get an early start to sight see, 9 is awfully late to get going. We had to leave early the next morning so informed Janna we would not be there for breakfast. Nothing was offered to us for the trip home.(500 miles). Oh, a slightly smashed travel cup with no lid for coffee was given to me.We just felt that Janna was a little overwhelmed doing everything by herself. It was like my Mom trying to do a lot of entertaining with little to no help. Means well but falls short. She did offer a lot of suggestions for places to see and eat. We went to an Italian restaurant she suggested and while not fancy by any means,the food was good and the service suburb! Pinecrest is on a quiet street not far from the main part of Asheville. That is a plus.Had the weather been warmer and not raining, sleeting and snowing, we would have gladly walked to town. Some other guests said it was about a 30 min. walk which was too far for them. We love to walk so 30 min. is not far for us. Too bad we did not get the chance. May get back to Asheville some time in the future when weather is warmer.

1  Thank ex-laxmom
sophiadogasheville, Owner at Pinecrest Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded May 3, 2014

We pride ourselves in making sure that our guests are satisfied and enjoy their stay. It is terribly disappointing and personally crushing when we fail to meet the expectations of a guest even when we find some of their expectations to be unfair and/or unreasonable. It is important for people choosing a bed and breakfast to find one that meets their needs. It is clear that our small family run bed and breakfast was not the right fit for these folks. Each Bed and Breakfast has its own personality and practices. So it is important that you do the research, read reviews and find the one that best matches your individual need. The following are points of clarification we feel necessary to make. We apologize in advance for the lengthy response.

We serve a one seating breakfast at 9:00 each day. How and when we serve breakfast is specifically and clearly defined on our website, verbally conveyed during a phone booking and reiterated during check-in. Additionally, the quality and quantity of our breakfasts, service style and timing have been raved about in an overwhelming amount of TA reviews. We have found that a one seating breakfast at 9:00 am works best for us and our guests. We regret that this was unacceptable to this guest.

We start morning kitchen coffee/tea service at approximately 7:45 am. At any other time guests can serve themselves from the Keurig coffee/tea maker. We apologize if there was only one English breakfast tea available in the carousel on the first morning of their trip. It was restocked that day. There is always a basket on the shelf under the Keurig with extra coffee/ tea k-cups. We will be sure to point this out to guests in the future. The hospitality area also includes a bowl of seasonal fresh fruit and we just recently added a bowl of mixed nuts.

We offer an array of complimentary beverages including red and white wine. The wine we serve retails at the local wine stores for $19.95 a bottle. We offer our guests a nice glass of wine that they can enjoy while relaxing at the inn. It is not our expectation that this will be the best glass of wine you have ever had.

We offer an afternoon dessert. Many of our guests return later in the evening and eat a piece of cake and have coffee or wine before retiring for the evening. Whatever dishes and/or glasses are used during the evening are cleaned up before coffee service starts in the am at approximately 7:30 not 6:30. We apologize if this guest was offended by seeing used dishes.

We are .9 of a mile from downtown in a residential historic neighborhood. It is up to the guest to determine if this is a reasonable walk for them. Most of our guests find the walk takes them between 15 and 20 minutes. Again, most reviewing TA guests find the location superb.

Guests departing early who give us advance notice are offered a “to go” breakfast (yogurt, muffin, fruit, juice and/or water). Several of our excellent reviews mention the “to go” breakfast guests were provided when they departed early.

Finally, both my mother and I are here 7 days a week. The first and only morning they had breakfast with us, I came and prepared the meal, but did not serve it. I had a rare morning meeting and by the time I returned they had departed for the Biltmore Estate for the day. Other guests here, during their stay, contributed a lovely TA review titled "Wonderful B &B in Asheville NC". Both my mother's and my presence is remarked on in this review. I'm sorry I did not have the opportunity to spend time with these guests.

We try to anticipate our guests’ needs – asking if there are any special requests that they have and accommodating them when possible. We will continue to provide our guests with the best hospitality you can get in Asheville.

Reviewed April 28, 2014

My husband and I just got home from 2 wonderful nights at the Pinecrest B & B and we loved every minute. The home is gorgeously decorated with everything we could possibly need. Wonderful breakfasts were ready for us in the morning with terrific conversation and lots of tips on how to get around and what to see in Asheville. We plan on going back again, hopefully soon!

Reviewed April 26, 2014

My adult daughter and I stayed for three nights. This is a wonderful B & B and the breakfast is fantastic. They accommodated our Gluten free request and surpassed our expectations. The first night we stayed in one of the glorious and very comfortable king rooms with a fire place. Then (based on availability at the time of our reservation) we were moved to a smaller room with two twins. Unfortunately, I cannot recomend this room for two adults. The twins beds were uncomfortable. This would be a better room for your younger kids. Otherwise a first class experience. The owners are also very nice and helpful with recommendations for things to do. Book in advance and you will be very happy here.

Room Tip: Just avoid the Winifred Crowley room with two twins. All the other four rooms are great. The room...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
sophiadogasheville, Owner at Pinecrest Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded May 1, 2014

We'd like to thank our guest for his exceptionally complimentary review. We try very hard to make the guest experience at our Inn a memorable one, so we are grateful when guests enjoy their stay and notice the details and hospitality we put so much effort into. I would agree, that going from a king size bed to an antique twin bed could be less than desirable. We regret that he did not find the twin beds comfortable, however, the beds have new Sealy Posturepedic Pillowtop mattresses that were purchased just last year. And although the room is smaller than the king suite, it is a spacious room with a large bathroom.

Over the years we have given consideration to converting the Cowley room to a king permanently. However, this is one of our most booked rooms because so many traveling adults seek a two bed option. In the 11 years we have owned this inn, thousands of traveling adults have occupied this room, many of whom have written Tripadvisor reviews describing how pleased they were with this room.

Reviewed April 23, 2014

My husband and I just spent 4 nights at the Pinecrest B&B in Asheville, NC. I highly recommend the Pinecrest to anyone visiting Asheville. The rooms are elegantly appointed with luxurious bedding and towels. The full 2-course breakfasts are delectable and delicious. There is a lovely sun room overlooking the gardens where you can enjoy complimentary wine, soda or spring water and homemade lemon bars in the late afternoon. Our hosts Stacey and Janna were warm and funny and made us feel right at home. The Pinecrest is located in the lovely historic district of Montford, within walking distance of downtown Asheville. If and when we return to Asheville, we will definitely stay at the Pinecrest B&B again.