“Scrumptious, elegant breakfast!”

Black Walnut Bed and Breakfast Inn
Ranked #23 of 39 Asheville B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 25, 2006

The hospitality at this B & B was wonderful! Quite honestly, we would go back just for the food. Every morning, the proprieters would cook a very elegant 3-course breakfast. We sat in a lovely little tea room. Very CLEAN, and the bed was wonderfully soft! Afternoon tea was more like a gourmet meal-with wine. The owners were very friendly and recommended places for us to go. It was a few minute's drive from down town. This was a wonderful stay that I would highly recommend!

Stayed: August 2005
2  Thank katiemoormann

Reviewed May 29, 2006

After returning from overseas, I wanted to spend a romantic weekend alone with my then-girlfriend, and Lori and Peter at the Black Walnut really catered to my plans. The Black Walnut is set in the historic district of Asheville, on Montford Ave, minutes from the downtown and a short drive from the Biltmore Estate. I found it online through this website, and was so impressed with the reviews and their own website, I had no reservations about booking site unseen.

First, I reserved the Azelea room online via their nicely detailed website. I traded a few emails with Lori and we were set. The room itself had a remote activated fireplace, a large chair and a half for couples' lounging, a four post king sized bed, and a large two person whirlpool tub in the bathroom. It was very comfortable and elegantly decorated with a mix of traditional and art decor. The bed was so incredibly comfortable that we asked Lori what kind of mattress it was, and shortly after bought one for ourselves!

When we arrived Friday evening, we were greated by Lori and taken to our room. SHortly there after, we were treated to a bottle of wine, and reminded that evening tea and wine was at five. We went down to the foyer and living room for some hors d'vours and a variety of wines (I think tea was available, but with all the good wines...). We mingled with the other guests and shared stories with our hosts. We found Peters stories to be very humorous. Our hosts then inquired about our dinner plans and offered great suggestions, which we took. They made the reservations for us, making it very easy to just relax and enjoy the evening.

Saturday morning came with a wonderful three course breakfast featuring belgium waffles with bananas foster. Delicious. After breakfast, I inquired about tickets to the Biltmore Estate, which they had on hand, and then was given an insiders' briefing on the Biltmore, which saved us some time and hassle dealing with the crowds. While touring the gardens of the Biltmore, I proposed to my girlfriend and she accepted. We returned to the Walnut for afternoon tea, and found a chilled bottle of champagne waiting for us in our room.

Sunday breakfast was even better than Saturday, with an egg quiche and biscuits with creamy gravy. We checked out and thanked Peter and Lori for a lovely stay. We both hated to leave and hope to return again soon! I encourage anyone who reads this to treat themselves and someone they love to a wonderful experience at the Black Walnut.

• Stayed: May 2006
6  Thank RockyTheDog
Reviewed April 15, 2006

We had a wonderful 3 night stay. We enjoyed the
hosts, the breakfasts were great. They were very
helpful with ideas where to go for dinner. We would
certainly go back. The inn was beautifully decorated.
A+

• Stayed: March 2006
2  Thank Brenda51
A TripAdvisor Member
kansas city, MO
Reviewed March 29, 2006

My Fiancee (girlfriend at the time) and I stayed at the Walnut Inn in November and we could not have asked for a better experience. Bed and Breakfasts are a dime a dozen and there are a lot of nice establishments. But what sets the Walnut Inn apart are the owners, Peter and Lori. Their hospitality was second to none! In the mornings, we were greeted with Lori's bubbly personality and warm smile along with the AMAZING breakfast (completed by Peter's delicious pastries--hope for the sticky buns). In the evenings, we gathered around the great room sipping wine and enjoying an array of succulent appetizers and deserts, all made more enjoyable by Peter's hillarious stories. It really felt like a family atmosphere where we did not want to leave. This will be an annaversary tradition for years to come. Thanks for the memories Peter and Lori! ...and here's to more to come!

Greg and Myndi
Kansas City, MO

• Stayed: November 2005
4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 27, 2006

We just got back last week from a wonderful two day excursion to Asheville, North Carolina; there to experience all there is to see at the Biltmore estate.

Though we were there for just one evening...Lisa and I are already dreaming about our next stay at The Black Walnut Bed and Breakfast Inn. You may have read about the baking backgrounds of Peter and Lori - we can attest. All reviews are 100% on point.

We arrived at The Black Walnut just in time for their evening tea, cocktail snacks, wine, and some wonderful delectable homemade treats. When you stay there, and I do mean - when - be sure to try their cookies. We had what I though were a cross between a wedding cookie and a Pecan Sandie. Peter even made a rich cheesecake. Besides the fine food and drink, Lisa and I had great conversations with the busy owners who always seem to have time to settle in for some pointers and how-tos concerning Asheville.

We stayed in the Walnut Room which I believe is one of the larger rooms there. The room was just immaculate with only the finest bedding and furnishings. We especially liked, of all places, the bathroom. What a restful nights stay.

The three course breakfst meal, that they should be famous for, was excellent. Homemade muffins, puff patries, the freshest fruit and the best waffles that we've ever tasted. I really think that we tried everything, tried not miss anything, and really enjoyed it all.

Peter and Lori are wonderful, hospitable hosts who are in it to win it, providing the most comfortable, stress-free stay. Go there, expect to be impressed, relax and above all, enjoy your stay. We can't wait to go back! Email us if you have any specific questions...R/Chris

2  Thank Chris and Lisa P
A TripAdvisor Member
Murfreesboro, TN
Reviewed March 21, 2006

My wife and I stayed two nights at the Black Walnut for our second wedding anniversary and could not believe the friendly and personable service we received. The Inn itself was clean, beautiful, tastefully and elegantly decorated, and rich with history. The best part of the experience though was the interaction with Peter and Lori. Both were delightful and genuinely seemed to enjoy being around other people and making them feel as comfortable as possible. Not to mention that after owning a bakery for 30 years the treats and breakfasts were fantastic. We were very happy and have recommended it to all of our friends and family.

• Stayed: March 2006