“Unexpected Pleasure!”

Ranked #12 of 65 Hotels in Asheville
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Unexpected Pleasure!”
Reviewed February 14, 2011

I don't know where to start. The lobby is stunning, check in staff professional and helpful, the room was very nicely decorated, clean and the beds comfy just like home. You MUST go up and see the ballroom on the 4th floor! Crystal chandeliers, marble floors, grand piano, stone columns... I want to have a party just so I can rent the place. The stag restaurant and bar is beautiful and the food is great. OMG the light fixtures. How do you combine rustic antlers and austrian crystals? Well you can and they did and it works. It's rustic yet elegant. The gift shop is awesome. I bought a beautiful heart necklace and even got to meet the jewelry designer. They were featuring her work while we were there. Each floor has a different theme and is tastefully decorated with fine art, scultures and the NEATEST light fixtures. Many elegant crystal chandeliers throughout. Walking distance to the Biltmore shops and restaurants but why eat anywhere else. My husband said the western omelet was the best he ever had. I had NO idea Marriott had this type of hotel but now that I do we have decided to visit them all. In fact, I have booked the mansion in Savannah Georgia this week just to try out another hotel in the new Mariott Autograph Collection. OMG!!!!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (375)
SC
Reviewed February 9, 2011

Everything was perfect from the valet parking inside the building to the check in process, to the room and everything in between. Room was amazing, extremely clean, decorated to perfection, and music playing in the room upon arrival was an extra special surprise. Lobby was beautiful, artwork throughout the hotel was fantastic, and the Red Stag restaurant was superb. I stay in a lot of hotels throughout the year for both business and pleasure and this was one if not the best we have ever stayed at. my wife and I are "hotel people" meaning great hotels are very important to us when traveling and this one did not disappoint in any way whatsoever. A must stay!! Highly recommended. JS

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
wayne,pa
Reviewed January 17, 2011

I booked this as stopover on way to Atlanta with daughter, We got in too late to really see Asheville. I booked it over the Inn at Biltmore because of the Marriott connection- I prefer to get points when possible. Room with 2 beds was decent size. However, for a boutique hotel, the amenties were lousy. No bath-shoer gel, or shower cap or vanity kit. They charged for bubble bath and bath salts. The restaurant was good- service was fine and food overall was good, though daughter hated her chicken- very bland. The manager seemed offended when I asked why there was no turndown service. Valet was pleasant and helpful. Very pretty interior with lots of interesting paintings. If you get a good rate, decent hotel. But, bring your own shower gel and bubble bath!

• Stayed January 2011
1 Thank simmie17
South Carolina
Reviewed January 8, 2011

We booked our "Babymoon" this past weekend (8-Jan-2011). It was pretty awesome with the snowing and all. The hotel was really nice. It is heavily hunter-lodge themed which comes off a tad corny, but it well done. We opted for the "Larger King Suite" room. This room had a bedroom, bathroom and living area. The bed was fantastic, better than other Marriott's I've stayed in (I'm platinum, I've been in my share). The bathroom was ok, but they use a curtain to separate the bathroom from the bedroom. This was kind of annoying. There was a horrible smell coming from the toilet area. Not sure what that was, perhaps reclaimed water for flushing the toilets? I knocked on cleanliness for the smell and for the large black hair that was in the toilet. Other than that, the place was spotless, not even dusty. The room had two windows, one in bedroom and one in living area. They were kind of small but fit the motif of the area. The thing that bothered me is that this was one of the more pricey hotels I've stayed in, and once you removed all of the antlers, it was still a Marriott. The room still had the typical Marriott hotel construction standards, but the rainfall shower was amazing. Even so, i've been in the junior executive suite at other Marriotts and was more impressed with the cheaper room. I'm not sure what's missing, I wish I could put my finger on it. Still, if you are looking for more pomp and polish than the typical Asheville offerings of of beds and Breakfast, this place is hard to beat.
Two last things. 1) Tip the valets. I get the impression that they aren't tipped very often. After I tipped the guy, the next time he inquired as to where we were going and made several (good) suggestions for food and entertainment. So, tip the guys, they're local and they know the good spots
2) Poseidon spa is really good. I set my wife up with a pre-natal massage and she came back to the room completely and totally happy with what she got. She's had a few massages but exclaimed that none have been as good as this one. Coming from her, that's a major compliment.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank gr8hifi
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed January 5, 2011

Beautifully decorated, comfy beds, pet friendly, big soaker tub, valet parking. What more could you ask for? I will visit Asheville just so I can stay at this hotel. Staff is fabulous. Room service was delicious and prompt. Felt very at ease even though it's an upscale hotel. A must stay if you are in Asheville.

Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed January 5, 2011

Now that I've experienced The Grand Bohemian, I'll never stay anywhere else when I visit North Carolina's coolest, artsiest city.

It's hunting lodge-meets-art gallery at this 100-room luxury hotel in the heart of Biltmore Village. Original art is in every room, in every hallway and in the hotel's own gallery. And, it's GOOD art. No Thomas Kincade to be found here. (Apologies if I've offended any Thomas Kincade fans.)

For the price, you'd expect great service from the concierge and restaurant staff. You get it from them, but you also get it from the valets, the bellmen and the housekeeping staff. These folks understand hospitality and intend to make your stay as pleasant as possible.

We had trouble figuring out the high-tech, flat-screen TV, but Trevor was at our door about 30 seconds after we called the main desk. Speaking of the TV, you can watch it from the big, soaking tub in the bathroom, thanks to shuttered windows that open onto the bedroom (and close again for privacy).

The Marriott bought this boutique hotel last year as part of its Autograph Collection. They apparently are not branding it as a Marriott hotel and allowing The Grand Bohemian to "let its freak flag fly." The good news is that you can use and earn Marriott points when you stay here.

And, if you're traveling to Asheville, you really should.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank Have_fun_will_travel
Charlotte, NC
Reviewed January 4, 2011

Made last minute reservations based on tripadvisor reviews and was very pleased with our experience. The hotel is a bit tricky to find if you've never been to the area and are arriving at night - our GPS placed us across the street. The hotel is terrific - the rooms large - the breakfast very good. The location across from the Biltmore is very convenient - a number of restaurants a short distance away. Depending on the room location, there can be a bit of traffic noise. We will definitely be back.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family