“its not all about how pretty it is”

Grand Bohemian Hotel Asheville, Autograph Collection
Ranked #12 of 66 Hotels in Asheville
Reviewed April 3, 2010

Its a very impressive looking hotel once you drive into the court yard. its small and had the main house with the restaurant and spa and then an annex across the street, so be aware of where yu'll be placed.. its has a small lobby so not fun for hanging around. Its across the street from The Mansion, however you can only drive into the mansion as its about a 4 mile walk once you enter the main gate. There is what they call a small Village around the hotel, but its not a true gated village feel and only a few decent shops, so its not a must to stay at this place. in fact any place you stay in Asheville you'll need a car to get to the other places. The down town is good for 1 day, the mansion is good for a half of a day. I thot the GROVE PARK had a better away feel, with grand views and a resort scene. Anyhow don't make distance to th mansion a priority.

So the is very nice and VERY clean, the staff isn't too bright and very S-L-O-W.. The sheets are not all that soft, and the pillows are hard as rocks. The rooms are beautiful, we have a tub and a stall shower, not every room has that, you usually get one or the other. Its also a dark hotel, not alot of natural lighting. There is also no out door space to just sit or relax or catch some sun. The restaurant is fine, not amazing. The mattress is very, very firm... VERY pet friendly in case you are ALLERGIC..

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ELSUSHI921
Write a ReviewReviews (1,409)

Reviewed April 2, 2010

This hotel was extremely clean, quiet rooms, luxurious all the way!!!!

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank uspsdoug
Reviewed March 28, 2010

Where to begin ... so much to tell, so little time ...

How about location? The hotel is located DIRECTLY across the street from the entrance to the Biltmore (and incidently a Starbucks). So, if your trip to Asheville includes a tour of the Biltmore, this location is positively perfect. Period.

I typically stay in four to five star hotels ... this hotel is no exception. It is a solid four to five star property (my opinion ... but also that of AAA's).

The hotel is filled with furnishings to stimulate the senses ... ie: art abounds everywhere (including the Hotel's own art gallery) ... there are paintings and statues throughout the hotel (literally everywhere ... ie: I am looking at two large original paintings in my room as I type this). If art is "your thing", this property may very well be for you.

Our room, a lower priced double queen features an oversized luxury bathroom (soaking tub), separate shower closet, separate toilet closet, etc. The room itself is approximately 18' by 13' (plus the hall & oversized bathroom). My wife says the color is "current" ... "trendy" (she likes it). The bed was an unusual combination of soft and yet supportive. I have a very bad back, and slept VERY well.

If you like church bells, there is a beautiful church across the street. Ask for a room facing the church (the bells sound wonderful).

Again, there is a Starbucks across the street for your desired beverage of choice and your NY Times.

The Hotel's restaurant has a casual, elegant ambiance. The food however is not casual ... it is exceptionally good. My opinion? Solid 4 stars. That said, surprisingly, the prices are reasonable (nice side salad was $5 ... in a 4 star facility!). Note, I didn't say cheap, I said reasonable. The Hotel doesn't position itself to be cheap ... but rather reasonable.

Some last thoughts...Mr. Kessler has physically built a hotel of such high quality that it will be here 100 years from now (literally) and will be cherished (ie: the windows have leaded glass inserts, a beautiful detail that HAD to cost him a fortune ... ie2: the choice of wooden main doors are impressive indeed ... ie3: the choice of wood in the reception area is stunning ... ie4: the reception DESKS [personal touch!] are handmade with beautiful tile tops [wow!].

Bottom Line: I was impressed by our stay; I am hard to impress. My wife loves the Hotel. If you like art, come to this hotel. If you like quality surroundings, come to this hotel. If you like good service, you will be satisfied indeed...and dinally, the location is perfect ... we'll DEFINITELY be back.

Something is only expensive in the absence of value. There is a lot of value in this Kessler property (PS: check out his other hotels ... most impressive!). I hope you too enjoy ...

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank cornell1984
Reviewed March 14, 2010

This hotel looked beautiful in pictures and was even more so in person! The attention to detail and level of finish in the entire hotel was superb. The rooms were STUNNING, the halls were lined with original art and sculpture on every floor and the staff was fantastic. Any and every time we asked a question, had a request or needed directions, the entire staff from the valet to restaurant hostess were super helpful and friendly. The Red Stag Grill was DELICIOUS. Best fried green tomatoes I've ever had. We stayed in the main hotel (not Manor House) and I'm glad we did. It rained the entire week and guests at the Manor House (across street from main building) had to brave the rain every time they wanted to visit the main hotel. My only complaint were the beds. While large, they were a little firm and the sheets weren't very soft. The Westin definitely has them beat on beds.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank becs21atm
Reviewed February 13, 2010

We stayed overnight w/ no kids. Great location! When we arrived, we ordered the cheeseboard from room service - a great snack. Instead of going to a movie, we rented a DVD and came back to the room & watched it after dinner. Splurged on room service for breakfast but well worth it. Only complaint....the train track. Woke me up 3-4 times during the night. Lunch across the street @ Rezaz....wonderful! Great shops across the street in Biltmore Village.

Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Brevard_NCMomto4kids
Reviewed January 17, 2010

We just returned from a one night stay at The Grand Bohemian in Asheville and I was quite pleasantly surprised. It was a beautiful hotel and resembled a lodge and art gallery in one, if possible...The room we were in was a double and it was spacious enough and impeccably clean. That is the main priority for me and it met my standards.
The furnishings and extra touches were divine. Bathroom was very unique with glass doors everywhere and granite and wood. Honestly, it was beautiful! The location was fine, right down the block from the Biltmore entrance and across the street from trendy shops and a Starbucks. The one downfall is there is no parking for this hotel but they offer a valet service for a fee of $15.00 dollars per day. We opted to park on the street as we didn't have any trouble finding a spot and saved some money there. The fitness center, was small but really nice and very spa like. Although we didn't utilize the spa, it was very nice looking and zen like. The halls of the hotel have walls and walls of beautifully framed artwork and classical music was playing in the background throughout the hotel. The only negative for us was that we had a family with small children in the room adjacent to ours and the walls must be thin as we were awakened to blood curdling screaming of a baby that didn't end for over 20 minutes. This would not impede us from staying there in the near future. It really would make a fabulous place for a weekend romantic retreat for any couple. Definately recommend The Grand Bohemian over the other hotels in the area. Oh, and check out The Laughing Seed restaurant for dinner. We have been countless times and it is absolutely delicious healthy fare! It will not disappoint!

Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 3sojourners
Reviewed January 14, 2010

I booked this after reading review and because frankly there are slim pickings in Asheville. Stayed for four nights over the holidays, which was long, but it was just to get away from daily life in Washington DC. While I would say this is a nicely decorated boutique hotel, there are some fairly big design flaws that would make me not want to stay again. First, unless you don't mind being surrounded by busy streets on all four sides of the hotel, you will be listening to traffic noise and dodging traffic to your car. There is no parking garage, unless you want to valet. However, street parking is available and it wasn't much of an issue for us. I requested a fourth floor room, not knowing that the ballroom is located on the same floor. Again, not an issue. There was a wedding that night and if we had stayed on the other side of the hotel on the same floor, I would have been very unhappy given that you could hear the music and noise. There are only 4 floors. There is a nice restaurant and bar in the hotel; good if you don't feel like going out. The room itself was nice, but again there were some design issues. First, there are no doors to the bathrooms. Only curtains. One curtain in between the soaking tub and the bedroom, and one around the side by the main door. The toilet and shower are in their own little stalls with glass doors. Both are very small and confining. So, if you're shy, stay elsewhere. The closest towel hook to the shower was in between the doors for the shower and toilet, so when you hung your towel there it would inevitibly hang in the way of closing the shower door. You had to finagle the towel from closing in with you in the shower. There is no mini-fridge in the room. There was no small table or chairs for sitting/working/eating, which would have been nice. The desk and dresser were combined into one big ugly piece of furniture; needless to say not much drawer space. Beds were pretty comfortable. No drapes over the small window we had, just plantation shades which would let the light in. I think there was an issue with the water pressure during our first night because it was barely trickling. Then when I needed to use the toilet in the middle of the night, it wouldn't flush because apparently the water had been turned off! When it was turned back on, somewhere around 5 or 6 a.m., the pipes made a loud noise, waking us up. In short, I think this place is ok for a 1 night stay, but I think you probably would be just as comfortable in a cheaper hotel.

Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple